Here is a simple exercise that may interest some...

Advertisement
Where did you live in palm beach gardens? I attended the high school and lived there from 2009 til just now and moved to Tennessee. Btw i am 26 and really got into Canes football around 8 years old

Just off Prosperity Farms Rd. North of Northlake. It was a bit different in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember our Principal at Allamanda Elementary having to shoo a cow out of the breezeways of the school one morning. No more open land for cattle now. Big change moving up to the Appalachian States. Some good, some bad. I came back and stayed.

27. Earliest memories is 2000 sugar bowl, FSU vs Miami on cbs, curb stomping Nebraska. Whole family is From NY but I had 1 uncle who moved down here early and is a huge canes fan. Took me to my first live game in the OB that was the 00 spring game. There’s only 2 teams professionally or college that will never leave me no matter what, the Canes and the NYY

Advertisement
Turn 42 this week. Parents had 2 season tix. My older brother and I would trade off going to games with my father.

First real memory was in 84 when my very mild mannered dad told me that it would be a long time until we played UF again after we beat them at home. I asked why, and his response is “because they’re pussies”!

Parents picked up another 2 season tix in Section U under the overhang around 1990. That crowd was more lively...and drunk. Seen a lot of the good times and bad in person and feel lucky for it. Lived down here all my life (except college). Got my own tix when I moved back after college.

Awesome getting to know the peeps on here via their stories. Funny how you get a perception of other posters that turn out to be way off.

47 next month. Grew up going to games at the Orange Bowl starting around 1981-1982. Family owned All Sports / allCanes from 1974 through around 2017. Worked there starting summers in junior high—all current Canes passing through over the years.

Moved to San Diego in 1998, so easy access for the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl—but went back for several games a year annually until around 2009 when my first kid was born.

Covered the Canes for CanesTime (Grassy), allCanesBlog and BleacherReport before launching ItsAUThing.com when allCanes sold.

Advertisement
A lot of us don't know whether poster are old school or young bucks. Let's see, as I am interested as well. I can tell a lot by posts, but this should be interesting.

State your age and year you became a Canes fan.

That is all.

Thanks,

52 yrs old, 1982--Saw all 5 Rings being won and even #6.
35... since birth. Last team I remember vividly watching included Edgerrin James but my brain was fully developed to remember the 2001 Natty then the robbed by OSU year after

51 years old... Also witnessed all 5 ships (on tv) and was present at the 6th vs Ohio state. Outside of that been to numerous games and definitely most UM-FSU games. Gtwon grad so I too love the hoyas which I consider the basketball version of the canes.

38, Cane since early 90s when I started playing Pop Warner football, in Central Florida. All my buddies were Gators or Noles and chose the Canes to make things interesting. Been a fan ever since. Wide-right 1 & 2 were a topic of many arguments amongst myself and my best friends..watched Erickson bring him two ships.

Advertisement
34 - Canes fan since 02. Was more of a basketball/baseball fan until that point, coming from the Boston area. Once I got to Florida, noticed that college football was kind of a big deal. I watched some cane games before the 02 championship, but became fully invested during the national championship against Ohio state. Could never have imagined it would be almost complete misery from there 😭😭😭.

Advertisement
66, 1st natty in '83. Couldn't stand Nebraska.
Class of 72 Baby! First 18 year olds to vote in this country! We got our Vietnam Draft Lottery Numbers issued, but Nixon nixed the call-up (mine was #24), Title IX year! Am I right, or did you get a Jr. High Redshirt? Let me take it one step more: your class song was probably that soapy *** Carpenter's song, "We've only Just Begun." Me and a buddy held out for "Bottle of Wine" by the Thunderbirds!
s-l1600-3.jpg

Advertisement
Back