Here is a simple exercise that may interest some...

Advertisement
i'm 17 and just started rooting for the canes

Getting Old 30 Rock GIF
and magically earned a UM diploma, attended every natty game (wins and losses), and regular season tilts as world travels allowed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
63 and a Cane since ‘67. Y’all can do the math.

I was 9 and decided I wanted to play football. My Mom thought it would be cool if I could see a Canes practice. My father was the Orange Bowl Stadium Manager at the time and called HC Tate to see if it was OK.

Coach Tate told my father it was OK but I had to stay in the stands so I didn’t get run over and hurt.

My Mom and I stood on the railing at the 50 yard line and watched practice. At 9 years old, I had no concept of time so I’m not sure how long practice lasted.

At the end of practice, a few players came over and shook my hand. The “high 5” was not a thing back then. Lol. I was so awestruck, I couldn’t tell you who they were.

I was hooked and been a Cane ever since.

Last edited:
Advertisement
42. Live 4 miles from the Golden Dome. Fell in love with the Canes at ND Stadium in 1988. Been a die hard ever since despite the ups and downs and having a law degree from ND. Only ever seen them play here in South Bend. First stepped foot on the UM campus a couple weeks ago trying to interest my oldest daughter in going there.

Advertisement
43, in the early 90’s became a fan when the old man bought me a Miami jacket. He probably found it on Sale at a Kmart or JC Penney’s over here in Cali. It was a black Starter trench coat with the old school Ibis on it with the pipe. He liked how it looked. Pops wasn’t really into football....... been a fan ever since.

46... cane fan since 86.. live in Pittsburgh was in the 6 grade for the PSU game and the teacher asked the class to pick a winner and I rode with the canes been hooked ever since...

Advertisement
Back