Here is a simple exercise that may interest some...

Advertisement
33 - Birth
Earliest memories are piling into my moms Astro van at Eureka park(SW 184th St and 117th Ave) to watch those early 90’s canes noles games. My dad was a Pop Warner coach at the time so all my saturdays as a young boy were spent at Pop Warner games either playing or watching. We always had a small tv with an antenna to catch the big canes games.
Wow I live on Eureka and 122nd. Practically neighbors

Just off Prosperity Farms Rd. North of Northlake. It was a bit different in the late 70's and early 80's. I remember our Principal at Allamanda Elementary having to shoo a cow out of the breezeways of the school one morning. No more open land for cattle now. Big change moving up to the Appalachian States. Some good, some bad. I came back and stayed.
I had family in 80’s-90’s first house on Prosperity Farms Road just north of PGA let me know if you were around there

Advertisement
I remember the Orange bowl games use to have really nice halftime shows. Like on the level of the SB.
The 1987 national title game had the guy and chick who sang the song from Dirty dancing (“Now I had the time of my life, and I never felt this way before!”)

The 1988 game against Nebraska had the Temptations IIRC.

There was nothing like those days in the OB. The city was on fire.

Advertisement
You became a canes fan AFTER you graduated from Miami? Wtf lol
What the **** were you doing while on campus? Lol
What made you go to Miami in the first place?
It may surprise you that A) I went to school for an education and B) The Canes absolutely sucked until my last year there.

Advertisement
26 (27 next month) - I became a fan of Miami after meeting Coach Richt when he was still at UGA (I came over from the UK in 2012) through friends I had on the team (my best friend is the one you can see in my avatar picture) and upon Richt’s firing I was devastated like many of my friends who were on the team and those who were in the NFL. Like them, I hated the hiring of Kirby Not-so-Smart so I followed Coach Richt’s return to Miami once I knew that was where he was headed and spent the entire Summer in the offseason of the 2016 season watching The U, The U Part 2 and every single piece of game footage I could find. I started in 1983 with the first National Championship and culminated with the 2001 National Championship. I then watched the Ohio State vs Miami game in the Fiesta Bowl (and the greatest fallacy in CFB history >.<) and select other games from that point on and seeing the struggles, the legendary peaks and gut-wrenching valleys made me buy in wholly to this team, fall in love with this school and its players and I have been passionately bleeding orange and green ever since. Thank you for making a thread like this @troyskiles 🧡💚

Advertisement
26 (27 next month) - I became a fan of Miami after meeting Coach Richt when he was still at UGA (I came over from the UK in 2012) through friends I had on the team (my best friend is the one you can see in my avatar picture) and upon Richt’s firing I was devastated like many of my friends who were on the team and those who were in the NFL. Like them, I hated the hiring of Kirby Not-so-Smart so I followed Coach Richt’s return to Miami once I knew that was where he was headed and spent the entire Summer in the offseason of the 2016 season watching The U, The U Part 2 and every single piece of game footage I could find. I started in 1983 with the first National Championship and culminating in the 2001 National Championship. I then watched the Ohio State vs Miami game in the Fiesta Bowl (and the greatest fallacy in CFB history >.<) and select other games from that point on and seeing the struggles, the legendary peaks and gut-wrenching valleys made me buy in wholly to this team, fall in love with this school and its players and I have been passionately bleeding orange and green ever since. Thank you for making a thread like this @troyskiles 🧡💚
B17C07A9-EB9E-4601-81B9-D1635744955E.gif

37, cane since birth...family had been in Miami for a long time so my grandad used to watch them practice I believe where the gables youth center is back in the 40s, other grandad went to the games as a youngster around then...first memories are ND and penn state games in the 80s when my POS uncle was the only non canes fan...first game was Miami Nebraska in 1992...attended um 2001-2005

26 (27 next month) - I became a fan of Miami after meeting Coach Richt when he was still at UGA (I came over from the UK in 2012) through friends I had on the team (my best friend is the one you can see in my avatar picture) and upon Richt’s firing I was devastated like many of my friends who were on the team and those who were in the NFL. Like them, I hated the hiring of Kirby Not-so-Smart so I followed Coach Richt’s return to Miami once I knew that was where he was headed and spent the entire Summer in the offseason of the 2016 season watching The U, The U Part 2 and every single piece of game footage I could find. I started in 1983 with the first National Championship and culminated with the 2001 National Championship. I then watched the Ohio State vs Miami game in the Fiesta Bowl (and the greatest fallacy in CFB history >.<) and select other games from that point on and seeing the struggles, the legendary peaks and gut-wrenching valleys made me buy in wholly to this team, fall in love with this school and its players and I have been passionately bleeding orange and green ever since. Thank you for making a thread like this @troyskiles 🧡💚
You are welcome, my Canes Brother! This really cool info to read.

Thank you, all, for posting. I am amazed at seeing some of y'all ages and love seeing the stories. I would have never guessed some of your ages or been WAY off.
To all the old geezers...keep rocking that Orange and Green. To the young bucks that have not see The Canes at full power....Hang in there, it is coming again!

Advertisement
Back