Herald note: new stadium and Mike Smith torn ACL

1. Bad news on Smith. Luckily he needed a shirt anyways, hopefully he is 100 % for fall practice.
2. Sun life would be fine if we didn't suck. The big games have been great atmospheres. Its not perfect but neither is a small soccer stadium that will be very tough to get to, and is farther from Broward and Palm Beach which actually supplies a good amount of fans.
3. Whatever makes us better I'm all for. I think we make Sun Life out to be a whole lot worse than it really is.

I completely agree. Sun life is fine, the atmosphere has been awesome for fsu, uf, and Ohio state when they were here a few years back. Our fan base just loves to ****, and half of them weren't even here before 2001.

You do realize that your list of games is pretty much complete for the "awesome atmosphere" column? And that sample size is several seasons long.

There have been a couple others, but that's what happens when we are mediocre. I'm a season ticket holder but I can't expect a packed house for many games when we haven't won a bowl game in years. I'm also a second generation cane, going to games my whole life. Not many games in the OB sold out or had great turn outs either, just big rivalries and important games during the hay days. Unfortunately we are a small school with an off camps stadium, it is what it is.

Advertisement
Stanford did something similar recently, moving from that Olympic stadium that had over 80K (I'm not mistaken). Their new place is somewhere close to 40K, but it's a lot more intimate. The seats are sitting right on top of the field. They seem to be very happy about it.

1. Bad news on Smith. Luckily he needed a shirt anyways, hopefully he is 100 % for fall practice.
2. Sun life would be fine if we didn't suck. The big games have been great atmospheres. Its not perfect but neither is a small soccer stadium that will be very tough to get to, and is farther from Broward and Palm Beach which actually supplies a good amount of fans.
3. Whatever makes us better I'm all for. I think we make Sun Life out to be a whole lot worse than it really is.

I completely agree. Sun life is fine, the atmosphere has been awesome for fsu, uf, and Ohio state when they were here a few years back. Our fan base just loves to ****, and half of them weren't even here before 2001.

You do realize that your list of games is pretty much complete for the "awesome atmosphere" column? And that sample size is several seasons long.

There have been a couple others, but that's what happens when we are mediocre. I'm a season ticket holder but I can't expect a packed house for many games when we haven't won a bowl game in years. I'm also a second generation cane, going to games my whole life. Not many games in the OB sold out or had great turn outs either, just big rivalries and important games during the hay days. Unfortunately we are a small school with an off camps stadium, it is what it is.

even when we were dominant, we didn't fill the place every weekend. were never gonna sell out every game no matter how good we r. we were top 10 in the country up until early november and we still couldn't sell out. the average fan isn't gonna know if were a legit top 10 or not, they're just gonna see top 10 miami again. we need those ppl to fill the rest of the seats and that won't happen unless the opponent is UF, FSU, OSU, etc.

Not to kill anyone's dreams here, but what other team plays most games at one stadium and "big" games at any other stadium during the regular season?

I think Bama, at least it use to, plays at Tuscaloosa and the big games at Birmingham. Their home winning streak we broke was bogus because they lost in Birmingham during the streak.

You just made the point for a smaller venue.

Advertisement

You just made the point for a smaller venue.

We could play on my middle school field and I would be there every game, I honestly don't care. I just hate people complaining about Sun Life when it's really not that bad at all. Being on the Broward line probably helps attendance more than it hurts it as many fans live in the northern two counties.

416.jpg

This soccer stadium holds 52k, but limited to 21k during games (close the upper deck)

A few of us have been going to games since 1990 or before and the attendance has always been the same. Great for huge games. Ok for medium games and crappy for lower teams. Dolphin stadium just looks and feels worse than the ob half full. Anything we can get over 40 but hopefully 45 will be an improvement. ***** all the fans that only want to come to the fsu game or whatever other big game we might play. Reward the people that actually attend games on a regular basis with an intimate fun place to play. The honest ones among us know that number is close to 40k

Advertisement
How much money is Beckham will to put down? I mean considering we want the stadium double the size it looks like we would be paying a majority of the cost. Why not just do the whole thing on our own?

Advertisement
How much money is Beckham will to put down? I mean considering we want the stadium double the size it looks like we would be paying a majority of the cost. Why not just do the whole thing on our own?

From my understanding, Beckham and his group are using this stadium as an investment. They would have a high profile rent paying tenant (UM Football), then the MLS team matches, international soccer friendlies, and a few concerts here and there. By this logic, they feel even if the MLS doesn't fully catch on, at least UM is still paying for a stadium that would be semi-theirs and international friendly soccer matches will draw significant cash for them. Also, Spanish Premier league clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid have a massive following in south Florida. Please believe that few friendly matches will be scheduled with the new MLS club to draw some easy $$$. It makes lots of sense for them to build it themselves. Lots of potential.

Advertisement
We simply have to take advantage of this opportunity. Who cares if Broward and Palm Beach are inconvenienced? What idiot thought of that angle, anyway? He should be strung up. Who cares about distribution of fan base as opposed to natural benefit of proximity to campus and the heart of a great city? Every time I drive to Sun Life I have to laugh about the opposing team, flying in to Miami and then heading to nowhere to play the game. That has to be intimidating.

The moron who placed dots on a map to identify the fan base distribution is the same caliber of mindset as believing that the home venue doesn't really matter, that there's no real difference between the Orange Bowl and Sun Life. Players decide the game, after all. Simpletons like that can't be allowed to make the major decisions.

In this era I don't know why a breakthrough design isn't feasible. Maybe a split level playing field has some drawbacks or issues that I'm unaware of but it seems to make sense to me, given the priorities of both the soccer team and the Canes. I think it could be legendary if we could pull it off. The stadium seats 55,000 for football at ground level. But the soccer field is on a removable/adjustable level quite a bit higher, with maybe a 25,000 capacity since the lower seats are essentially "underground." That allows for a wider soccer field since the stadium naturally angles outward. The football field can be tight to the stands like the Orange Bowl at ground level. The upper seating section are the primary stands for soccer but the upper deck for football. Obviously this is just a rough draft off the top of my head. Maybe a raised soccer field would be unstable and clunky. Or extreme expense.

We simply have to take advantage of this opportunity. Who cares if Broward and Palm Beach are inconvenienced? What idiot thought of that angle, anyway? He should be strung up. Who cares about distribution of fan base as opposed to natural benefit of proximity to campus and the heart of a great city? Every time I drive to Sun Life I have to laugh about the opposing team, flying in to Miami and then heading to nowhere to play the game. That has to be intimidating.

The moron who placed dots on a map to identify the fan base distribution is the same caliber of mindset as believing that the home venue doesn't really matter, that there's no real difference between the Orange Bowl and Sun Life. Players decide the game, after all. Simpletons like that can't be allowed to make the major decisions.

In this era I don't know why a breakthrough design isn't feasible. Maybe a split level playing field has some drawbacks or issues that I'm unaware of but it seems to make sense to me, given the priorities of both the soccer team and the Canes. I think it could be legendary if we could pull it off. The stadium seats 55,000 for football at ground level. But the soccer field is on a removable/adjustable level quite a bit higher, with maybe a 25,000 capacity since the lower seats are essentially "underground." That allows for a wider soccer field since the stadium naturally angles outward. The football field can be tight to the stands like the Orange Bowl at ground level. The upper seating section are the primary stands for soccer but the upper deck for football. Obviously this is just a rough draft off the top of my head. Maybe a raised soccer field would be unstable and clunky. Or extreme expense.

426.jpg

Advertisement
Back