Herald note: new stadium and Mike Smith torn ACL

397.jpg

TCU's stadium hold 44k...

I'd take that in a heart beat!!

For those that think a 40k seat stadium is a negative....you probably haven't attended a UM home game that wasn't against FSU or UF in the last 20+ years.... Cause if you did, you'd know we wouldn't have even filled the 40k seat stadium in 90% of those other games

Baylor is building a brand new 45k stadium. No one will be complaining about it being too small.

Exactly. In freaking Waco too. But having one the same size here in what'd be the most picturesque backdrop in college football will somehow make us a joke. Kids won't want to come here because of their concern about traffic getting in and out of the port. National tv won't even show shots of the bay instead opting to laugh at the extra 6 feet of space on the sidelines. We'll be killed recruiting nationally as some 4 star kid in Jersey will be completely turned off by the visuals from there in November. He'll just say "I'd have been a Cane if only that place was built to hold 10k more people".

It's beginning to look like some of the critics here would rather have a conversion van than a Ferrari because the van offers some amenities that we might use one day. "That 4th row of seating will come in real handy once we start winning and our fanbase stops sucking!". That or these are some of the people that felt smarter than everyone by instantly saying the Beckham plan will NEVER happen and to stop wasting everyone's time by dreaming and now they're trying to save face as it seems to be gaining at least a little traction. Probably the same crowd that loves to criticize the staff for not adapting.

Dumbest post in the tread. Stop trying so hard to impress everyone. The point is that for Marquee games 40k is too small. And considering that Miami is suppose to be a marquee team in college football with one of the best brands in college football a larger stadium is required. Regardless of how full the stadium is. Stop comparing us to Baylor,TCU, Cincy etc. Those guys never won ****. They aren't the U. Since we aren't winning right now we have to do everything we can to stay out of the "small school" sigma. Middle-Teir Teams play in small venues. If you are aspiring to be Baylor and TCU then good for you. You think "filling" a 40k stadium is going to make the SEC coaches stop negative recruiting?

I'd rather have 30k in a 55k stadium than 30k in a 40k stadium. Also it's all about the stadium design. If the stadium is designed properly you can have empty seats and it not be a glaring void. Sun Life was designed terribly. The OB was actually bigger but you never felt like it was that empty and the attendance hasn't changed that much since those days.

1. OB was actually smaller, go look up the capacities of the two stadiums

2. The OB sure was scary in the mid 90's and from 2006-2007. How would we have ever gone 7-6 and 5-7 without that home field advantage?

Advertisement
Not to kill anyone's dreams here, but what other team plays most games at one stadium and "big" games at any other stadium during the regular season?

Cincinnati plays at Bengals stadium when a marquee team comes

Colorado vs Colorado state usually at Broncos stadium

I've heard Stanford and Cal may play at 49ers new stadium

Washington has played @ seahawks stadium

Va tech has played at Fed Ex Field

Difference being that the teams you referred too were playing Neutral site games. Those were not 1 game a year arrangements.

VA Tech played a neutral site game against Boise. Last year WVU and Maryland played there.
Same for CSU vs CU. netural site riveraly game in Denver
Washington played @ the Seahawks stadium while waiting on renovations to be completed on their exiting stadium.

I'd really like to redshirt both Berrios and Smith, I want these kids at full strength and not feeling as if they have to rush their rehab.

It's seems like our players rehab time always take super long. Pretty smith and berrios were going to redshirt anyway. Just sucks they'll miss offseason training

397.jpg

For those that think a 40k seat stadium is a negative....you probably haven't attended a UM home game that wasn't against FSU or UF in the last 20+ years.... Cause if you did, you'd know we wouldn't have even filled the 40k seat stadium in 90% of those other games

Baylor is building a brand new 45k stadium. No one will be complaining about it being too small.

Exactly. In freaking Waco too. But having one the same size here in what'd be the most picturesque backdrop in college football will somehow make us a joke. Kids won't want to come here because of their concern about traffic getting in and out of the port. National tv won't even show shots of the bay instead opting to laugh at the extra 6 feet of space on the sidelines. We'll be killed recruiting nationally as some 4 star kid in Jersey will be completely turned off by the visuals from there in November. He'll just say "I'd have been a Cane if only that place was built to hold 10k more people".

It's beginning to look like some of the critics here would rather have a conversion van than a Ferrari because the van offers some amenities that we might use one day. "That 4th row of seating will come in real handy once we start winning and our fanbase stops sucking!". That or these are some of the people that felt smarter than everyone by instantly saying the Beckham plan will NEVER happen and to stop wasting everyone's time by dreaming and now they're trying to save face as it seems to be gaining at least a little traction. Probably the same crowd that loves to criticize the staff for not adapting.

Dumbest post in the tread. Stop trying so hard to impress everyone. The point is that for Marquee games 40k is too small. And considering that Miami is suppose to be a marquee team in college football with one of the best brands in college football a larger stadium is required. Regardless of how full the stadium is. Stop comparing us to Baylor,TCU, Cincy etc. Those guys never won ****. They aren't the U. Since we aren't winning right now we have to do everything we can to stay out of the "small school" sigma. Middle-Teir Teams play in small venues. If you are aspiring to be Baylor and TCU then good for you. You think "filling" a 40k stadium is going to make the SEC coaches stop negative recruiting?

I'd rather have 30k in a 55k stadium than 30k in a 40k stadium. Also it's all about the stadium design. If the stadium is designed properly you can have empty seats and it not be a glaring void. Sun Life was designed terribly. The OB was actually bigger but you never felt like it was that empty and the attendance hasn't changed that much since those days.

1. OB was actually smaller, go look up the capacities of the two stadiums

2. The OB sure was scary in the mid 90's and from 2006-2007. How would we have ever gone 7-6 and 5-7 without that home field advantage?

excuse me are you correct SLS is larger by about 4k. Since the OB was a horseshoe it felt more packed and that's my point about the design being important for a large stadium. When the seats are condensed it won't like how SLS looks on TV.

I'd really like to redshirt both Berrios and Smith, I want these kids at full strength and not feeling as if they have to rush their rehab.

I agree, feel like that happened with Hamilton and not sure if he has ever been fully healthy.

Advertisement
Not to kill anyone's dreams here, but what other team plays most games at one stadium and "big" games at any other stadium during the regular season?

Difference being that the teams you referred too were playing Neutral site games. Those were not 1 game a year arrangements.

VA Tech played a neutral site game against Boise. Last year WVU and Maryland played there.
Washington played @ the Seahawks stadium while waiting on renovations to be completed on their exiting stadium.

Cincy against Ohio State wasn't a neutral site game. Washington State against Stanford wasn't a neutral site game.

We should have a stadium like TCU. Miami is similar in size as TCU. Their stadium is very nice and flows with the design of their campus.

48,000 with room for 7,000 extra seats for when teams with winning records come to the Beckham Stadium.

Yo, this is a dope idea actually. I would even consider 48k seats w/ the option of retracting and detracting seats by a 7k plausability.

I'm just glad that moving out of SLS seems like it is at least a real possibility. At this point, 40, 45, 50. IDGAF.

I am curious to see this 40K design.
What was the capacity of that one rendering that was floating around here last week?

If we accept 40K....donna should be shot on site
I was on this bandwagon for a bit but I don't think it's the right side. In our case, winning will help attendance...but only if it is some ungodly win streak: It took us having a 30 something game win streak and a national title to average high 60's in 2002. 2001, attendance sucked. Attendance has generally sucked for most games except big ones. It is in UM's best interest to have a packed stadium of only 40k, which looks better to recruits, looks better on TV, etc. than to consistently have 40k in a 70k stadium or even a 60k stadium.

Agreed!!!

Advertisement
397.jpg

Both excellent points. I like both designs...it feels like a true home field advantage, the crowd is right on the field. I've said this many times before, if it gives the college feel, with a home field advantage, and in close proximaty with the campus, go for it. 40-45k will be plenty enough and if we need to play a big game against an in-conference opponent/out-of conference opponent, use SLS and I'm sure they would take that bid just like Cowboy Stadium take that bid for UT/OU games.

1. Bad news on Smith. Luckily he needed a shirt anyways, hopefully he is 100 % for fall practice.
2. Sun life would be fine if we didn't suck. The big games have been great atmospheres. Its not perfect but neither is a small soccer stadium that will be very tough to get to, and is farther from Broward and Palm Beach which actually supplies a good amount of fans.
3. Whatever makes us better I'm all for. I think we make Sun Life out to be a whole lot worse than it really is.

397.jpg

"Dumbest post in the thread"....said the guy that'd rather have 30k in a 55k stadium that only exists in his own mind and will always only exist there. Funny how you left Stanford off of your little diatribe against the TCU's and Baylor's of the world too. The SEC clowns will always negative recruit. If you believe their case isn't weakened by a move out of SLS then you probably share the intelligence of the average SEC fan.

Advertisement

Cincy against Ohio State wasn't a neutral site game. Washington State against Stanford wasn't a neutral site game.

To clarify, I was asking for teams that regularly have to play "big" games at a different stadium when they chose to. Not neutral site games like UF-GA, or one time games like with ND. More like what is being proposed here where the school picks which regularly scheduled game will be a "big" game. You can mark down FSU for something like that because of the history. What if a team was big time when you scheduled them, which is usually years in advance, then suck when it's game time, or vice versa. Conference teams, same thing, one year good, other years, doo-doo. Does anyone else do THIS?

Last edited:
Many threads. Still can't see the downside of a UM/Beckham relationship.

If a stadium option presents itself, you look into it. You do your homework. Many do not like SLS. I don't think we fill that place when we start winning. I'm not sure what is the right size, but I'd rather have the smaller, harder to get tickets, easier to fill consistently stadium, than the larger, empty for most games, but packed for FSU stadium.

Small, loud, home field advantage. If you want to go to the FSU game, buy season tickets or pay the piper.

Many threads. Still can't see the downside of a UM/Beckham relationship.

If a stadium option presents itself, you look into it. You do your homework. Many do not like SLS. I don't think we fill that place when we start winning. I'm not sure what is the right size, but I'd rather have the smaller, harder to get tickets, easier to fill consistently stadium, than the larger, empty for most games, but packed for FSU stadium.

Small, loud, home field advantage. If you want to go to the FSU game, buy season tickets or pay the piper.

We technically didn't even sell out UF. I'm sure you saw some of the corners of the stadium.

Advertisement
397.jpg

Love that analogy!!! We ain't Michigan, OSU, UT, or ND. We're in South Beach....there is a lot of activities to do in South Beach. No one is waking up to drive 30 miles to a place that is not fan/student body friendly to watch us. We could go on a 45 game win streak and we still would have problems filling up SLS. The fact is, playing in a smaller venue looks better and feels better based upon OUR circumstance. We don't have a student population of 50-60k kids like some schools. We have a population of 10k.

Not sure. But assuming you aren't for that set-up, answer this:

Would you rather have a better game day experience for every game and have to deal with with this big game issues on isolated occasions or remain in a cavernous stadium with a bad game day experience for most games, but convenient for that one game a year? The latter sounds like a horrible tradeoff, but to each their own.

Does it really matter what other teams do when deciding what we should do for our very unique situation?

your assumptions are incorrect...

Advertisement
Back