Herald note: new stadium and Mike Smith torn ACL

PUNCICANE

All-ACC
Premium
### Receiver Braxton Berrios isn’t the only top UM recruit recovering from a torn ACL. Miami Northwestern High defensive end Mike Smith, who is enrolling at UM this summer, said he’s recovering from one, too (sustained in a late-season practice) but expects to be back by August… Though it’s still too soon to know if it’s realistic, several UM people are excited about the chance of a joint stadium with David Beckham’s MLS team. Some UM coaches and trustees would love to play at a new facility at Tropical Park, but that’s not being considered. MLS wants a downtown stadium. Beckham's group continues to study the feasibility of a joint stadium with UM, fully aware that UM has told them that 40,000 seats is the absolute minimum the Hurricanes could accept.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...tes-samsons-survivor-debut.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
I'm just glad that moving out of SLS seems like it is at least a real possibility. At this point, 40, 45, 50. IDGAF.

I'd really like to redshirt both Berrios and Smith, I want these kids at full strength and not feeling as if they have to rush their rehab.

Advertisement
I'm just glad that moving out of SLS seems like it is at least a real possibility. At this point, 40, 45, 50. IDGAF.

I am curious to see this 40K design.
What was the capacity of that one rendering that was floating around here last week?

If we accept 40K....donna should be shot on site
I was on this bandwagon for a bit but I don't think it's the right side. In our case, winning will help attendance...but only if it is some ungodly win streak: It took us having a 30 something game win streak and a national title to average high 60's in 2002. 2001, attendance sucked. Attendance has generally sucked for most games except big ones. It is in UM's best interest to have a packed stadium of only 40k, which looks better to recruits, looks better on TV, etc. than to consistently have 40k in a 70k stadium or even a 60k stadium.

Last edited:
Advertisement
"Some UM coaches and trustees would love to play at a new facility at Tropical Park, but that’s not being considered."

I would love the Tropical Park site for the Canes. Just ditch the MLS soccer team that requires a wider fields and would destroy the view of men's football that is the #1 problem with SLS. The sidelines are too wide due to the soccer design.

...Though it’s still too soon to know if it’s realistic, several UM people are excited about the chance of a joint stadium with David Beckham’s MLS team. Some UM coaches and trustees would love to play at a new facility at Tropical Park, but that’s not being considered. MLS wants a downtown stadium. Beckham's group continues to study the feasibility of a joint stadium with UM, fully aware that UM has told them that 40,000 seats is the absolute minimum the Hurricanes could accept.

Anyone know if this is being considered as a permanent move, or just as a "specialty" kind of venue for select games?

Also, likelihood the 'Canes would be considered in the design of Beckham's stadium (as to avoid the soccer/football compatibility issues w/SLS)??

45k-50k would be ideal with the option to have one big game at dolphin stadium a year. 40k is a shade too small for all but the worst games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd take 30K seating if it got us out of that God-forsaken piece of garbage.

We need to get out of Sun Life....period. Whatever it takes at this point but this program needs to be somewhere in the heart of Dade country, much closer to campus.

I'd take 30K seating if it got us out of that God-forsaken piece of garbage.

We need to get out of Sun Life....period. Whatever it takes at this point but this program needs to be somewhere in the heart of Dade country, much closer to campus.
Yep. The fact that our stadium (among all of its other cons) is barely in Dade County is embarrassing.

Not to kill anyone's dreams here, but what other team plays most games at one stadium and "big" games at any other stadium during the regular season?

Advertisement
Not to kill anyone's dreams here, but what other team plays most games at one stadium and "big" games at any other stadium during the regular season?
Not sure. But assuming you aren't for that set-up, answer this:

Would you rather have a better game day experience for every game and have to deal with with this big game issues on isolated occasions or remain in a cavernous stadium with a bad game day experience for most games, but convenient for that one game a year? The latter sounds like a horrible tradeoff, but to each their own.

Does it really matter what other teams do when deciding what we should do for our very unique situation?

Washington State has played a couple of games at the home of the Seahawks the last couple of years.

economics dictate. dolphin stadium might want the extra revenue they would get from a sold out or near sold out stadium. plus we have a lease with them now we would have to negotiate to get out from under. maybe they would accept one game a year to let us out. obviously this is pure speculation but just pointing out its not implausible.

Advertisement
Back