Head Coach Candidates?

Somebody had mentioned Dan Quinn ... there is a football coach. NFL head coaching experience, along with NFL coordinator experience. Knows how to deal with elite athletes .. men. Also college coordinator experience. Guy would really resonate with parents .. telling them he could really develop their sons to have their best shot at making the league.
Speaking as a Cowboy fan (can’t speak for Atlanta fans)… DQ has changed the defensive culture OVER NIGHT in Dallas. He’s become the adult in the room and it is so refreshing. I’d take him in a heart beat with the Canes though it’s be tough to see him walk from Dallas. Coordinators don’t normally leave Dallas if Jerry doesn’t want them too though.

Advertisement
If the university truly wants to squash the incompetence label when it comes to sports, they are going out and getting an established top 15 AD, such as the Baylor guy.

Then they do an extensive search for a football coach, including mapping out exactly what the full coaching staff would look like and allotting a good budget for.

As someone that’s worked in accounting/finance in the corporate world my whole life, UM’s cheap and lazy hires at AD and football coaches has cost them so much money, profits and hassle, it makes zero sense why you wouldn’t pay market rates and bring in qualified competent people.

They pay for themselves and you don’t have turmoil every 4 years

There hasn't been much talk about Alonzo Highsmith since the whole debacle last winter. There also doesn't seem to be much talk that Blake is going to lose his job in the immediate future, despite what the fan base hopes. I am under the impression Blake will not be involved in the hiring of a new HC, should that process happen (when it happens).

It seems to me Highsmith could be the perfect "bridge" to consider bringing in right now if/when the Admin make the decision to fire Manny. Establish the "Football Ops " position or whatever you want to call it .(Assistant AD for football?) Remove Blake completely from involvement with football now, establishing AH as the point person to the Admin and BOT Athletic committee. I would think Blake's feelings would be irrelevant at this point.

. AH would be able to work with the "interim HC" as well as get a look at what the state of the program is from the inside. He would be an integral part of the search/interview process for a new HC, bringing his NFL experience to the process. I think involving someone like AH would also give the fan base and the alumni some assurance that the entire hiring process had some credibility this time. He would also be a great resource and sounding board for the interim HC and the rest of the staff.

IF the Admin is not inclined to get rid of Blake James, bringing in someone like Alonzo Highsmith would signal that they are indeed committed to the football program. It means creating a position and salary for someone with experience. It would also give them the time to make a decision on Blake for the future; maybe they decide to get rid of him at the end of the fall semester. If the small sample of AH overseeing the football program has gone well, he would already be in place to possibly take on the bigger challenge of the full AD position, should there be mutual interest.

As much as the fanbase wants to "blow up" the whole athletic department, it doesn't make sense that the Admin will go this route immediately. There are definite benefits to cutting the cord with Manny sooner rather than later, since it is looking more and more likely that is where this is all heading. Bringing in someone like Highsmith gives them an out for the short term. The costs of firing Manny, bringing in a new coach and his likely buyout, as well as creating a new salary (Highsmith) to help clean up the HC mess could ultimately be the " for cause" needed to get rid of Blake at the end of the semester.

Just a few thoughts. The BOT and Admin have the opportunity to really make a move for the future. We'll see where it all goes most likely in the next few weeks...

The last two hires from “big money” schools are a failing Josh Heupel at Tennessee and Harsin from Boise at Auburn.

Some of the names being thrown around here are a pipe dream. Imo these two hires are more reflective of what’s out there.
Bingo

Advertisement
For the love a God. Why would anybody want Greg Fn Shiano? the fact people are even saying his name makes me question our fan base. He would be a horrible hire
Agreed and I actually don't think there would even be mutual interest on his end. I think his goal college-wise is do a good enough job at Rutgers to slide into the Pedo State job whenever someone makes the mistake of luring Franklin away from there.

Agreed and I actually don't think there would even be mutual interest on his end. I think his goal college-wise is do a good enough job at Rutgers to slide into the Pedo State job whenever someone makes the mistake of luring Franklin away from there.
Like USC?

I think Bill O' Brien would be about a dogsh!t hire here as Schiano. You guys need to realize that there is a mold of coach that can make it to the NFL but is also only suited in the college game to be a head coach in places like the Big Ten. Doing a "redemption stint" at Baga doesn't change this. Not to mention that O'Brien is also known to be EXTREMELY stubborn so THAT would be another effing joy as a Canes fan once he starts to fail here.

Like USC?
Yup. People (and even some SC alum that I know) do make convincing arguments of him potentially succeeding there but I'm also from a family full of Pedo Staters and have never bought into him or his shtick.

Advertisement
I think Bill O' Brien would be about a dogsh!t hire here as Schiano. You guys need to realize that there is a mold of coach that can make it to the NFL but is also only suited in the college game to be a head coach in places like the Big Ten. Doing a "redemption stint" at Baga doesn't change this. Not to mention that O'Brien is also known to be EXTREMELY stubborn so THAT would be another effing joy as a Canes fan once he starts to fail here.
Plus he'd jump at the first NFL team that calls, even if its as a coordinator. It's the same reason I'm on the fence about most of the names being thrown out. Most of them would use UM as a stop along the way to something bigger.

Yup. People (and even some SC alum that I know) do make convincing arguments of him potentially succeeding there but I'm also from a family full of Pedo Staters and have never bought into him or his shtick.
Really. Why? He seems to have been successful there. What is it about his time there not liked?

Really. Why? He seems to have been successful there. What is it about his time there not liked?
I think he's a low character guy that relies on a "high energy" version of Al Golden-esque buzzword laden shtick that is prone (like Cristobal) to corch away a few games each year that they should win. He's also average to mediocre in the postseason.

Why I say one can make plausible arguments for his potential success at a place like SC (as they can for Luigi here even though I disagree) is that he absolutely can recruit and he is widely liked in his current fanbase and the Pac-12 (like the ACC) is open for exploitation.

If Cristobal doesn't want to come home, my choice is Hafley and I think he's a considerably better option than the other usual group of names.

He is smart enough to hire the right staff and navigate South Florida. Recruiting won't be an issue.

He breathed new life into a totally lifeless BC program - he would light this place on fire. Unlike Manny, he can talk the talk and walk the walk. Roster building, hiring the right staff, X's and O's on game-days - he is the total package.
My number two choices as well. His team plays smart, disciplined football. And he wouldn't be too pricey, a major selling point for our cheap beta infested BOT's.

Advertisement
Was it Freeze that crashed a motorcycle? What is the big issue with him? Or was he the guy that got busted for getting all those 5*s at Ole Miss so the SEC narced him out?

Advertisement
Was it Freeze that crashed a motorcycle? What is the big issue with him? Or was he the guy that got busted for getting all those 5*s at Ole Miss so the SEC narced him out?
Petrino. Freeze is a scumbag too though. And I think being a scumbag can obviously be a positive in college football but I see Freeze as the type that wouldn't actually have any real success here but still would take down the entire program.
Screenshot_20211002-144543_Chrome.jpg

The more I see Coastal Carolina play the more I like HC Jamey Chadwell. CC is solid on all phases, offense, dedense, special teams. I’m looking to see if last year‘s 11-1 team was fluke, after a 5-7 2019. Comparing the two seasons, it was interesting to note everyone they lost to in 2019, even badly, they came back and beat in 2019, often badly. FWIW.

He’ll get his opportunity at a P5 program soon enough.

Advertisement
Back