Head Coach Accountability (LONG) How to fix it

There are several examples in media and music, but there was one particular group who made one of my favorite albums. Truly artful, independent and nuanced. Then, they put out their next album and the problem wasn't that it wasn't as good as the previous album, that happens all the time to bands. The problem is that it was straight up garbage! And, I couldn't believe it was the same band.

So, I look through the credits of both albums and sure enough, the amazing previous album had a separate, independent producer, whereas the album that came after and sucked so bad, was produced by the lead singer and leader of the band.

There's lots of examples of this in art, business, government, etc., but basically, when you have to reconcile and negotiate major elements of your job, it forces you to rethink things and seriously consider other viewpoints. It requires economy of motion and brings the kind of creativity that comes when you're given parameters.

Blake's leadership is lazy and harmful. We've now had 5 HC's without proper oversight. I have no idea if the GM thing is in play, but I'm all for it and I think it could re-energize our base. Especially if it was Zo.

Advertisement
I have come to the realization that the school/ administrators are content on cashing ACC checks. The U has become a handout / welfare program. They field a team just to meet the minimum requirements of receiving those welfare checks from the ACC. In my opinion the program of the past is dead and gone, greed and apathy have become the norm.
This. Revenue sharing and the ACC Network are the final death knells of this once great program.

The school has no motivation to field an actually good product. Why invest money into the program when the conference hands us fat checks just for showing up?

They are not firing Blake anytime soon. And Blake refuses to make staff decisions. And we saw what that did with Golden, and the Richt. 8 years wasted with one good year (but ended extremely poor) Enos by all accounts by statistical metrics should not be allowed to keep his job. But....you have trust in Manny to make that decision or a non willing Blake?

What I'm saying is if they do it, he won't have the kind of authority to do anything meaningful. He'd be a figurehead "in charge of football," to take heat off of them. As long as James is employed I have zero faith that anyone running the athletic department cares about anything other than fundraising.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is if they do it, he won't have the kind of authority to do anything meaningful. He'd be a figurehead "in charge of football," to take heat off of them. As long as James is employed I have zero faith that anyone running the athletic department cares about anything other than fundraising.

Oh I have often thought Blake might want this scenario because he would have a built in bullet shield. Won't deny that. But if it someone way more qualified in terms of football affairs and would do things like 1) conduct very thorough head coaching searches 2) would be way move influential in terms of staff hires/fires 3) limit nepotism and friendly hires who aren't qualified 4) has an understanding on how to qualify recruiting results? I am OK allowing Blake the bullet shield.

To me at this time of year. The head coach and Football AD would be going over the whole program and having the necessary talks in order to move this program forward. Can't have another year of failed offense here. They need to come up with tangible results and if firing Enos is the option? Then guess what? The Head coach who was unwilling to fire a best friend or relinquish play calling in the past? He might not have that option anymore.

Oh I have often thought Blake might want this scenario because he would have a built in bullet shield. Won't deny that. But if it someone way more qualified in terms of football affairs and would do things like 1) conduct very thorough head coaching searches 2) would be way move influential in terms of staff hires/fires 3) limit nepotism and friendly hires who aren't qualified 4) has an understanding on how to qualify recruiting results? I am OK allowing Blake the bullet shield.

To me at this time of year. The head coach and Football AD would be going over the whole program and having the necessary talks in order to move this program forward. Can't have another year of failed offense here. They need to come up with tangible results and if firing Enos is the option? Then guess what? The Head coach who was unwilling to fire a best friend or relinquish play calling in the past? He might not have that option anymore.
Everything you laid out is logical and what a responsible University would do if they truly gave a **** about athletics and football in particular. However, this is UM we're talking about. So everyone knows UM doesn't give a **** until donations are witheld to an untenable point where it impacts vital funding. I have zero faith in anyone making decisions inside of Hecht and up the chain of command from there.

Advertisement

You sure this isn't in play? I love what you're saying here and it's so well organized, it has the ring of something that's actually been formulated. Can you at least say you've heard rumors this is being looked at as a viable option?

Everything you laid out is logical and what a responsible University would do if they truly gave a **** about athletics and football in particular. However, this is UM we're talking about. So everyone knows UM doesn't give a **** until donations are witheld to an untenable point where it impacts vital funding. I have zero faith in anyone making decisions inside of Hecht and up the chain of command from there.

Some high up do. Some high up don't. I think when you heard Ariz go after James and Strawley I think you can understand his frustration. Obviously his sentiment is rooted on the fact James rushed a hire and hasn't ultimately made the best football decisions here and Strawley, let's be honest, an assistant AD who ALSO has no clue about the inner workings of the biggest money making sport on campus? If she was replaced with a more competent counterpart? That could work as well.

Ultimately I think when you say certain UM doesn't give a **** about athletics and football in particular is partially right. There are definitely people on the BOT who love football and want nothing but the best. But I would venture to say some Donna-ism and "as long as those kids don't get us in trouble" ACADEMICS ACADEMICS ACADEMICS POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS will remain.

So you can live with both. You can sustain with both. BUT what Miami doesn't have and hasn't had is that brilliant football mind that can put the whole picture together despite all the higher echelon partisanship. If someone was innovative, could put both sides of the ball together or be a dynamic elevator of talent? Miami has been MAJORITY deficient in one or ALL 3 of these areas for a long time now. (Goledn -defensively-recruiting) (Richt-offensively) (Diaz-Offensively)

So vicious circle. Blake doesn't have the clue on what to look for, Strawley has no clue what to look for and Miami has not had an innovative capable in every facet coach in decades. And mean while the head coach gets to do what he wants unabated until he gets fired and here we go again

Nothing will happen unless either BOT members with enough clout to make the call change leadership at the AD position, or a donor comes forward to make a donation sufficient to force a change.

Last edited:
Nothing will happen unless either BOT members with enough clout make the call change leadership at the AD position, or a donor comes forward to make a donation sufficient to force a change.

There could be a change. But maybe at the assistant AD level. Or carve out another assistant AD? The reality is if the option of firing Blake isn't on the table, might need to look at other tables.

Advertisement
How do NFL coaches deal with their GM's?
How do other College coaches do it with more football savvy hands on AD's?

What I am suggesting is in the middle. Miami cannot continue to let coach after coach fail miserably due in part to their own poor staff decisions. This can be a more mutual beneficial relationship and not a dictatorship.

I tried to interject that the head coaches here have failed, but names like D'onofiro, Nix, Whipple, Richt the OC, Coley, Enos, have not fared much better.

Remember UGA did that with Richt? How’d that turn out? I mean that’s if you admire UGA under Mark Richt type of success. I don’t however.

Blake James is essentially the bus boy being promoted to Executive Chef of Prime 112 & he is in over his MF head. The right HC hire is the end all because there’s so much trust involved. You spend more time with your coaches & support staff than you do with your family so imho you can’t meddle with the guys he wants to deliver his process, vision, structure, etc among the football program.

There could be a change. But maybe at the assistant AD level. Or carve out another assistant AD? The reality is if the option of firing Blake isn't on the table, might need to look at other tables.
Exactly! The larger note is - we need to be realistic as to where we are and what we have to do in our current reality to start the climb our of mediocrity. It's obvious that with even a competent OC, we would've won the Coastal this year and next season. We need to nurse the patient back to health. One thing at a time. Let's introduce accountability, win the Coastal, get slaughtered by Clemson the ACCCHGM and then play in the OB. Those are all very achievable for next year. Bring on the GM/Asst. AD !!

Remember UGA did that with Richt? How’d that turn out? I mean that’s if you admire UGA under Mark Richt type of success. I don’t however.

Blake James is essentially the bus boy being promoted to Executive Chef of Prime 112 & he is in over his MF head. The right HC hire is the end all because there’s so much trust involved. You spend more time with your coaches & support staff than you do with your family so imho you can’t meddle with the guys he wants to deliver his process, vision, structure, etc among the football program.

But I don't trust Blake with hiring the right guy, the right oc, etc etc. And firing Blake isn't on the table right now so...what is the alternative? Is there another one out there?

I like the “Football GM” idea. This could work with the right hire but I’m afraid the hire would need to be forced on Blake, and Strawley. If this is the case, just fire them and find a top-shelf AD to rebuild the athletic department.

Advertisement
I like the “Football GM” idea. This could work with the right hire but I’m afraid the hire would need to be forced on Blake, and Strawley. If this is the case, fire them and find a top-shelf AD to rebuild the athletic department.

I will say if you have a top flight AD who is more hands on...I don't think you need the football gm "above the HC" but realize many programs have foobtall gm's that report to the HC. But....in this current scenario where we obviously admit something is broken? The alternative might be a carve out position or at the assistant AD level.

I will say if you have a top flight AD who is more hands on...I don't think you need the football gm "above the HC" but realize many programs have foobtall gm's that report to the HC. But....in this current scenario where we obviously admit something is broken? The alternative might be a carve out position or at the assistant AD level.
Miami football will remain mired in mediocrity as long as Blake is allowed to run the athletic department.

All of that. I said in another thread that I knew PSU would have a better program than us sooner when they refused to hire Al Golden because of D’Onfrio. It crushed Al to choose between his real dream job and his best friend.

Now let that sink in. PSU off their band and sanctions are a top-15 team annually because their ppl know enough about football to not allow a Corch to come in and make staff hires without being vetted.

It’ll be interesting to see if Blake can keep his rep as a fundraiser when the team is a 6-6 embarrassment.

Advertisement

Only issue with this is that you won’t get the best candidate with that title of “assistant ad” to blame James.

If we are talking about getting Zo back here that just wouldn’t fly.

Anyone worth their salt is going to want to report to board directly and only work along side Blake for budgeting etc.

That was beautiful.

But can someone back up this “Blake James is a great fundraiser” claim. Apart from the Golden-to-Richt campaign, has he been raising enough money to be crowned “exceptional at it”?

BoT believe so.

That is all that matters.

Another NSD, albeit an early one, and a top 15 class in in-tow. This is not going to be an account about the merits or miss of this class for this site and talented writers will do a remarkable job covering the signees. However this will be about the individuals, who for the better part of two decades, have claimed to have all the answers.

Miami continues to mire in the depths of ACC coastal **** with no realistic stairway to climb up. So where do you start construction when there is a perpetuating wheel bogged down in ashes?

The athletic director and his assistant have proven one thing. They are strictly not football savvy enough to understand when the intricacies of the sport are failing them. (On field metrics/recruiting/etc) I would argue that they do not know the difference between an RPO or a ROTH IRA. Blake James and his underlings have enacted a hands off approach to coaches and staff decisions to an almost diabolically program killing fault.

That hands off construct allowed Al Golden to retain his best friend. Mark D'Onofrio's defense was allowed to be a bigger sanction then the actual one. James? He sat idly bye and said that staff decisions would be on the discretion of the head coach. Now enter Mark Richt. He was granted the ability to call his own plays and bring in a very under qualified quarterback coach in his son. The result after three years of that particular nefarious affordability didn't end well.

Once again you see how poor staff choices wrapped in nepotism and friendship were allowed to fester to the point of catastrophic field results. When you hear the phrase "inmates run the asylum" the collective choice to allow a poor defensive coordinator and subsequent offensive coordinator wallow in an ineptitude created chaos. And it is something that should at least have it's own quality control.

Manny Diaz doesn't have all the answers. He just proved it after a 6-6 record and 0-3 off bye weeks. Diaz does not have the experience needed as a head coach and cannot be simply afforded the right to make all the staff decisions without proper vetting or a sounding board. I think it is time for the University and the powers that be to look at a position where head coaches will be held accountable at the microscopic and critical levels.

Just today you have a pompous arrogant offensive coordinator who scoffed reporters saying he didn't know what a spread was. Shotgun? Quarterback runs he said. "We do that." But do you know how many designed quarterback runs the team actually ran this year? Five. (dgoould) I wonder if Jennifer Strawley knows that? Regardless of spread or not, Miami had the worst scoring output ranking nationally in over 11 years (cfb stats) But who above Manny Diaz is analyzing the trends with the ability to enact necessary change? Right now? No one.

Blake does not have an affinity in this arena. So get someone in the power structure, a director of football operations/general manager/AD of football who can. I don't want to get caught up on the semantics of the position title but rather someone who will finally know what the F they are doing. STOP allowing the head coaches to make decisions carte blanche that are detrimental to the program. Miami coaches seem to be really adapt at that sort of thing.

Blake raises money. He is good at it. So have at it. If the BOT does not want to fire the guy then so be it. But if Miami is EVER put in a situation where it needs to replace an offensive coordinator or head coach for that matter, I simply cannot say that I have faith in Mr. Blake James. I need someone better. I need someone smarter in this one area.

There are doctors and than there are doctors who specialize. When you need brain surgery you don't call the proctologist. But the way the football program has been run lately it might as well have had its head up its own ***. So go get a "football AD" that actually KNOWS football.

There is also a huge financial stake here. One that the university shouldn't ignore. The ACC championship game/New Years Bowl money is something you cannot simply write off. Why would you? The payouts are astronomical and program changing beneficial. Miami has "on paper" the second best signing class in the ACC yet it will be content to march out another 6-6 season? That isn't good enough. That means something is wrong.

This isn't simply a talent issue at Miami and it hasn't been in a long time. While they don't have the talent to knock off the big boys of the world "yet" it is grossly under-performing and losing to teams they out-recruit regularly and religiously. If Miami simply can beat the teams it is supposed to beat and best good teams merely 50% of the time it would at least allow a few steps up that proverbial ACC ladder.

So in closing go get me a carpenter. I don't trust Manny to make all the necessary decisions. He doesn't have the experience. I don't have faith in Blake James because his track record and hands off approach got us here. So here's to hoping there is someone out there who is smarter than Manny and more hands on than Blake. Oh but where could we find such a man...
Well said

Advertisement
Back