Head Coach Accountability (LONG) How to fix it

Another NSD, albeit an early one, and a top 15 class in in-tow. This is not going to be an account about the merits or miss of this class for this site and talented writers will do a remarkable job covering the signees. However this will be about the individuals, who for the better part of two decades, have claimed to have all the answers.

Miami continues to mire in the depths of ACC coastal **** with no realistic stairway to climb up. So where do you start construction when there is a perpetuating wheel bogged down in ashes?

The athletic director and his assistant have proven one thing. They are strictly not football savvy enough to understand when the intricacies of the sport are failing them. (On field metrics/recruiting/etc) I would argue that they do not know the difference between an RPO or a ROTH IRA. Blake James and his underlings have enacted a hands off approach to coaches and staff decisions to an almost diabolically program killing fault.

That hands off construct allowed Al Golden to retain his best friend. Mark D'Onofrio's defense was allowed to be a bigger sanction then the actual one. James? He sat idly bye and said that staff decisions would be on the discretion of the head coach. Now enter Mark Richt. He was granted the ability to call his own plays and bring in a very under qualified quarterback coach in his son. The result after three years of that particular nefarious affordability didn't end well.

Once again you see how poor staff choices wrapped in nepotism and friendship were allowed to fester to the point of catastrophic field results. When you hear the phrase "inmates run the asylum" the collective choice to allow a poor defensive coordinator and subsequent offensive coordinator wallow in an ineptitude created chaos. And it is something that should at least have it's own quality control.

Manny Diaz doesn't have all the answers. He just proved it after a 6-6 record and 0-3 off bye weeks. Diaz does not have the experience needed as a head coach and cannot be simply afforded the right to make all the staff decisions without proper vetting or a sounding board. I think it is time for the University and the powers that be to look at a position where head coaches will be held accountable at the microscopic and critical levels.

Just today you have a pompous arrogant offensive coordinator who scoffed reporters saying he didn't know what a spread was. Shotgun? Quarterback runs he said. "We do that." But do you know how many designed quarterback runs the team actually ran this year? Five. (dgoould) I wonder if Jennifer Strawley knows that? Regardless of spread or not, Miami had the worst scoring output ranking nationally in over 11 years (cfb stats) But who above Manny Diaz is analyzing the trends with the ability to enact necessary change? Right now? No one.

Blake does not have an affinity in this arena. So get someone in the power structure, a director of football operations/general manager/AD of football who can. I don't want to get caught up on the semantics of the position title but rather someone who will finally know what the F they are doing. STOP allowing the head coaches to make decisions carte blanche that are detrimental to the program. Miami coaches seem to be really adapt at that sort of thing.

Blake raises money. He is good at it. So have at it. If the BOT does not want to fire the guy then so be it. But if Miami is EVER put in a situation where it needs to replace an offensive coordinator or head coach for that matter, I simply cannot say that I have faith in Mr. Blake James. I need someone better. I need someone smarter in this one area.

There are doctors and than there are doctors who specialize. When you need brain surgery you don't call the proctologist. But the way the football program has been run lately it might as well have had its head up its own ***. So go get a "football AD" that actually KNOWS football.

There is also a huge financial stake here. One that the university shouldn't ignore. The ACC championship game/New Years Bowl money is something you cannot simply write off. Why would you? The payouts are astronomical and program changing beneficial. Miami has "on paper" the second best signing class in the ACC yet it will be content to march out another 6-6 season? That isn't good enough. That means something is wrong.

This isn't simply a talent issue at Miami and it hasn't been in a long time. While they don't have the talent to knock off the big boys of the world "yet" it is grossly under-performing and losing to teams they out-recruit regularly and religiously. If Miami simply can beat the teams it is supposed to beat and best good teams merely 50% of the time it would at least allow a few steps up that proverbial ACC ladder.

So in closing go get me a carpenter. I don't trust Manny to make all the necessary decisions. He doesn't have the experience. I don't have faith in Blake James because his track record and hands off approach got us here. So here's to hoping there is someone out there who is smarter than Manny and more hands on than Blake. Oh but where could we find such a man...
Blake James was hand picked and appointed by Shalala. That should tell you all you need to know.

Advertisement
I think the idea if Highsmith returning to the U in some football related capacity is pure speculation at this point. It's an idea thrown out there in desperation due to the mediocrity we've seen over the past 15 years or so. The Browns are a mess for sure and the owner is about as incompetent as James. It wouldn't surprise me to see another house cleaning at the Browns and Zo might be looking for work. Whether or not he'd be willing to come to the U in some capacity is anyone's guess.

As big a business as CFB has become, I think an Assistant AD for Football Operations is not a reach. It would give the head football coach more time to focus on the daily operation of the team and remove the influence (James and Strawley) from the equation.

"Exceptional" might be a stretch, but James does a very good job on the fundraising side—which is why he still has a job.
Blake James typically "raises funds" by going to wealthy families that have had long standing relationships with the University (like the Soffer family and DiMare senior). My understanding is that for the most part he is simply tapping into existing relationships developed by others. In other words, he's not really bringing many material new funding sources to the table but rather tapping into relationships already there. In my opinion, that doesn't qualify him as an exceptional fundraiser. He simply appears to be decent at following up with existing relationships.

With the potential exception of the baseball team, our major men's sports are not performing close to the level they should be at. As the AD, he is clearly responsible for that. Wish we had someone shrewd like Sam Jankovich as AD. We kicked a@@ under his leadership in Football & Baseball. The performance of the Athletic Department is simply underwhelming under Blake James. If I was President Frenk, I'd be making sweeping changes their pronto.

I disagree with the sentiment that the AD doesn't need to know football to do the right thing. He absolutely does. He needs to know what a good head coach looks like. If the AD doesn't know football he wont be able to see through the bull**** excuses. He needs to hold the head coach accountable.
AD: Your offense sucks, what are you going to do about it?
Corch: blah blah blah, it's fine, it'll work if we can execute.
AD: Execution wasn't the only problem. What can you do to help the OL?
Corch: blah blah blah, it's fine, it'll work if they execute.
AD: so you're not going to change anything after being in the bottom of **** near every offensive category?
Corch: blah blah blah, it's fine, I'll get better players who can execute.

ArD: Cool, I'll leave it up to you. Let's talk about your extension!

Football Savy AD: You don't have that kind of time. You can't do worse than the guy you replaced and expect to keep your job. If you don't make any changes and put the same **** show on the field next year.. I ******* promise you, you'll be fired by midseason. Your offense is terrible. Do something different or you're done here.

Best AD we could hope for: Man that's some bull****. Miami doesn't do 6-6, get the **** outta here and take your staff with you.(of course this guy's conversation is entirely fiction because the best AD we could hope for doesn't hire Manny in the first place)

A good AD absolutely needs to know football because that's his money maker. A good fund raiser will never raise as much money as a winning football program. Fire Blake and Manny at the same time.

We need competent leadership. Whether it comes from the Head Coach, the AD or a director of football operations depends on the people you have in place. Did Jimmy Johnson need a strong AD or a director of football operations? .. NO WAY.. JJ was a strong leader. Right now we have a head coach that does not know how to fix this mess and we have an AD that does not have the skill set or desire (or both) to fix it. So the idea of either firing the AD and coach or getting a football operations guy that can make tough decisions sounds appealing. I think either could work. There is more than one solution. I would fire the AD and head coach and hit reset.

Advertisement
Biggest thing to me that I can't understand is how school officials are content letting dollars flow by them like that?

I hate the idea for an "AD of Football." Blake is supposed to be that but isn't qualified.

All they will do is undoubtedly give the job to an alumnus that can insulate the administrators from blame. That's all it is for. Giving Highsmith or whoever a fancy title so when **** goes wrong they can trot out a former player to take heat off of the people who are in charge.
You either clean out the entire Athletic Department & start over or hire a Football AD. Someone like Alonzo that truly cares about Miami Football wouldn't just sit there and do nothing if the Football team is underperforming. He would work tirelessly to fix it. I wish they could hire Ray Lewis (which probably wouldn't happen given some history) -- you would not want to have to answer to him, if things weren't going well. His intensity & work ethic is legendary. That's the kind of Champion that needs to uphold the standard & be empowered to work closely with the HC to get this fixed.

Seriously. I don't get why my accounting professor didn't know the difference between a guard and a tackle. I'm so ****ed my academic advisor didn't know who the coach at Boise State was. And Julio Frenk doesn't even know what nickel coverage is!

This is miles beyond stupid. The university is a school. The school has a football team, in addition to multiple other sports. Why shouldn't the AD be intricately involved in baseball? Basketball? Women's soccer?

Y'all sit here on the outside of the university trying to make it about nothing more than football.

Should my degree be in defense?

Administrators are administrators. They should have NOTHING to do with what a head coach does. The head coach runs the football program. They are accountable for everything. If THAT person isn't doing HIS job, then he should be fired. How many elite coaches want to go to a program and be micromanaged by a career desk jockey?

It doesn't work in the NFL, at all, but you think it'll work at Miami?

I seriously don't think you have any idea what an athletic director does.

This post is beyond ridiculous. By this logic, academics should also be in charge of taking care of the building and grounds, as well as managing the university's endowment. If the buildings fall down, the lawns turn to jungles, and the endowment fund goes bankrupt and gets stolen by Bernie Madoff, so be it. The primary purpose of the institution is education, so there should be no reason for anyone to expect it to function at or above par in any of its peripheral roles.

Good Lord, and may God bless this poor soul. I do hope he has family who is able to look out for his best interests.

Advertisement
Your issue is that Manny shouldnt be allowed to hire coaches bc he is not experienced or good enough.

The most obvious answer is to HIRE A HEAD COACH WHO IS EXPERIENCED AND GOOD ENOUGH. Not make up some random fake job so your boy can continue his fanboy job.

Well, you're right. And since Blake James is failing, repeatedly, to make good hires, maybe the problem is bigger than just Manny?

this is why you hire a head coach who DOES have experience.

i find it absurd that your solution for Manny’s inadequacies is to find someone to do his job for him, while he continues to collect a check.

just hire a real head coach.

Cool. Who we gonna put in charge of hiring that real head coach?

Advertisement
Another NSD, albeit an early one, and a top 15 class in-tow. This is not going to be an account about the merits or miss of this class for this site and talented writers will do a remarkable job covering the signees. However this will be about the individuals, who for the better part of two decades, have claimed to have all the answers.

Miami continues to mire in the depths of ACC coastal **** with no realistic stairway to climb up. So where do you start construction when there is a perpetuating wheel bogged down in ashes?

The athletic director and his assistant have proven one thing. They are strictly not football savvy enough to understand when the intricacies of the sport are failing them. (On field metrics/recruiting/etc) I would argue that they do not know the difference between an RPO or a ROTH IRA. Blake James and his underlings have enacted a hands off approach to coaches and staff decisions to an almost diabolically program killing fault.

That hands off construct allowed Al Golden to retain his best friend. Mark D'Onofrio's defense was allowed to be a bigger sanction then the actual one. James? He sat idly bye and said that staff decisions would be on the discretion of the head coach. Now enter Mark Richt. He was granted the ability to call his own plays and bring in a very under qualified quarterback coach in his son. The result after three years of that particular nefarious affordability didn't end well.

Once again you see how poor staff choices wrapped in nepotism and friendship were allowed to fester to the point of catastrophic field results. When you hear the phrase "inmates run the asylum" the collective choice to allow a poor defensive coordinator and subsequent offensive coordinator wallow in an ineptitude created chaos. And it is something that should at least have it's own quality control.

Manny Diaz doesn't have all the answers. He just proved it after a 6-6 record and 0-3 off bye weeks. Diaz does not have the experience needed as a head coach and cannot be simply afforded the right to make all the staff decisions without proper vetting or a sounding board. I think it is time for the University and the powers that be to look at a position where head coaches will be held accountable at the microscopic and critical levels.

Just today you have a pompous arrogant offensive coordinator who scoffed reporters saying he didn't know what a spread was. Shotgun? Quarterback runs he said. "We do that." But do you know how many designed quarterback runs the team actually ran this year? Five. (dgoould) I wonder if Jennifer Strawley knows that? Regardless of spread or not, Miami had the worst scoring output ranking nationally in over 11 years (cfb stats) But who above Manny Diaz is analyzing the trends with the ability to enact necessary change? Right now? No one.

Blake does not have an affinity in this arena. So get someone in the power structure, a director of football operations/general manager/AD of football who can. I don't want to get caught up on the semantics of the position title but rather someone who will finally know what the F they are doing. STOP allowing the head coaches to make decisions carte blanche that are detrimental to the program. Miami coaches seem to be really adapt at that sort of thing.

Blake raises money. He is good at it. So have at it. If the BOT does not want to fire the guy then so be it. But if Miami is EVER put in a situation where it needs to replace an offensive coordinator or head coach for that matter, I simply cannot say that I have faith in Mr. Blake James. I need someone better. I need someone smarter in this one area.

There are doctors and than there are doctors who specialize. When you need brain surgery you don't call the proctologist. But the way the football program has been run lately it might as well have had its head up its own ***. So go get a "football AD" that actually KNOWS football.

There is also a huge financial stake here. One that the university shouldn't ignore. The ACC championship game/New Years Bowl money is something you cannot simply write off. Why would you? The payouts are astronomical and program changing beneficial. Miami has "on paper" the second best signing class in the ACC yet it will be content to march out another 6-6 season? That isn't good enough. That means something is wrong.

This isn't simply a talent issue at Miami and it hasn't been in a long time. While they don't have the talent to knock off the big boys of the world "yet" it is grossly under-performing and losing to teams they out-recruit regularly and religiously. If Miami simply can beat the teams it is supposed to beat and best good teams merely 50% of the time it would at least allow a few steps up that proverbial ACC ladder.

So in closing go get me a carpenter. I don't trust Manny to make all the necessary decisions. He doesn't have the experience. I don't have faith in Blake James because his track record and hands off approach got us here. So here's to hoping there is someone out there who is smarter than Manny and more hands on than Blake. Oh but where could we find such a man...
Alonso Highsmith!!!

I agree with everything OP said. I'm all for a football czar position. (Anything helps at this stage.) But answer me this. How many of the top 10-15 football programs have ADs that "know football" as you put it? I'd imagine it's rather small, isn't it? Also, this program was still mired in mediocrity under Kirby Hocutt who was a LB at KSU. So, is that really the problem or is it a lack of desire by both James and the higher-ups at the school to (a) want to be a top 10-15 program; and (b) to invest accordingly?

Advertisement
I agree with everything OP said. I'm all for a football czar position. (Anything helps at this stage.) But answer me this. How many of the top 10-15 football programs have ADs that "know football" as you put it? I'd imagine it's rather small, isn't it? Also, this program was still mired in mediocrity under Kirby Hocutt who was a LB at KSU. So, is that really the problem or is it a lack of desire by both James and the higher-ups at the school to (a) want to be a top 10-15 program; and (b) to invest accordingly?

Some might not have that acute level football high IQ but the HC was able to employ proper systems and 100% NAIL both coordinator hires.

So far we have let a DC remain because he was a best friend. (Manny comes in and the defense improves 50 spots nationally from previous average ranks)

Richt brings in son and insists on calling plays. (QBs % have improved under enos)

Richt, enos, Cooley, e.t.c have not produced a top 25 scoring offense in the past 11 years (Clemson has 7 times)

I think that's where the trickle down effect is hampering this program. Coordinator hires.

Not defending Manny in any way , shape, or, form because he’s made his own bed, but the fact of the matter is that any leader of any organization is only as good as the people that leader surrounds themselves with.

How do NFL coaches deal with their GM's?
How do other College coaches do it with more football savvy hands on AD's?

What I am suggesting is in the middle. Miami cannot continue to let coach after coach fail miserably due in part to their own poor staff decisions. This can be a more mutual beneficial relationship and not a dictatorship.

I tried to interject that the head coaches here have failed, but names like D'onofiro, Nix, Whipple, Richt the OC, Coley, Enos, have not fared much better.
Accountability.

Advertisement
Back