Head Coach Accountability (LONG) How to fix it

Advertisement
It feels to me we are close to the horrible place we were in when the decision was made to give football one last shot before closing it down. The result was money was found to go out and hire Howard who had one to the finest resumes out there. His coaching bloodline were matchless with multiple NC and Super Bowl titles. coming off a failed NFL HC gig, we got him off his return to Shula's. A BOT big shot lead the charge. Howard did not come cheap. He promise a title and delivered.(school there broke stadium promise to him and we lost him). We need another Howard. Someone learned for the best at both levels and not just one good coach. Howard's mentors: Blanton Collier, OC for Bear Bryant for # NCs back when Bama had NFL QBs, WR coach for George Allen and the LA Rams, OC for for Don Shula for The Perfect Season and Super Bowl Title, and HC of Baltimore Colts. That is the paper picture of who we need.

I love Butch but he is just the best shot we have with the hope lighting could strike a third time. He is not Howard. JJ was not Howard although he crew into a better coach as he got to NFL. Howard was better college HC than JJ. Good luck finding this man but he is who we need. Miami is a special place. A place where you must hire a JC with NFL ability because he will either gain the NFL or get fired, there is no middle ground here. It need to be a man big enough for the moment when it arrives. Heck it took JJ three tries so we need someone better than him.

Some might not have that acute level football high IQ but the HC was able to employ proper systems and 100% NAIL both coordinator hires.

So far we have let a DC remain because he was a best friend. (Manny comes in and the defense improves 50 spots nationally from previous average ranks)

Richt brings in son and insists on calling plays. (QBs % have improved under enos)

Richt, enos, Cooley, e.t.c have not produced a top 25 scoring offense in the past 11 years (Clemson has 7 times)

I think that's where the trickle down effect is hampering this program. Coordinator hires.

In my humble opinion, Blake James is correct to stay out of the head coach’s business. Interference from an unqualified administrator is counter productive. But like the web slinger’s ain’t said regarding head coaches, with great power comes great responsibility. If Manny flops again doing it his way next year, he needs to go.

I disagree that we need any admin type overseeing the head coach. The head coach is hired to achieve goals. The goals should be set and agreed to by the admin. The admin’s sole job is enforcing accountability. Management 101 says you have to empower your subordinates to do their job. Reward those with initiative and fire failures.

Manny should be on notice his job is on the line and he should be given the freedom to act accordingly.

I think I'd rather have an AD who understood the sports they are responsible for. This whole AD of football idea is only being discussed because they refuse to get rid of Blake. Make Blake VP of fundraising if you want to keep him around.

Exactly. We have a HC and AD that are both completely clueless as to how to run a football program.

Instead of making up some random figurehead position that will be filled by some ex player to appease the moron brigade, just hire a legit AD and legit HC. problem solved.

Advertisement
That man you referenced would without a doubt be Alonzo Highsmith. I can't think of a better sounding board then him to oversee Manny and this operation from the top down. If anything, he can also assist James at the one thing he's good at, fundraising.

I would have loved to see Diaz figure out how to be a head coach somewhere else, but Richt leaving forced their hand. Defensively, Miami is good enough. I’d like to see a football GM type position created. They also need to put money towards the support staff/analysts that the top tier programs have. They need to spend money to make money.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back