Head Coach Accountability (LONG) How to fix it

I agree with everything OP said. I'm all for a football czar position. (Anything helps at this stage.) But answer me this. How many of the top 10-15 football programs have ADs that "know football" as you put it? I'd imagine it's rather small, isn't it? Also, this program was still mired in mediocrity under Kirby Hocutt who was a LB at KSU. So, is that really the problem or is it a lack of desire by both James and the higher-ups at the school to (a) want to be a top 10-15 program; and (b) to invest accordingly?
Both/all of the above.

In fairness to hocutt, he inherited shannon and hired golden into sanctions. I wasn’t a fan of golden and am not a fan of hocutt, but it was the least insane hire on the past 2 decades. It worked poorly, and was a bad choice, yes.

Advertisement
Only issue with this is that you won’t get the best candidate with that title of “assistant ad” to blame James.

If we are talking about getting Zo back here that just wouldn’t fly.

Anyone worth their salt is going to want to report to board directly and only work along side Blake for budgeting etc.

I argued this very point on Canesport when Ferman first posted this idea. The idea that this proposal is on Blake James' desk to sign off is ridiculous. It will never happen. Nor should it. The position will only be effective if it is independent from the AD.

I mean yes. I was wordy...lol....I usually stick in my x/o land and not poke into editorials but I was so upset at Enos pomposity today. You had the 130th ranked offense on third downs, 127th in sacks allowed, 120th in red zone and rushing and you have the audacity to say you do cutting edge things. You were 0-3 out of bye weeks and your offense was a big culprit in this. I cannot relate to any man who simply deflects blame and can't admit when he is wrong.

It was a bad hire by manny diaz. Another hire who will no doubt handcuff the program if he is allowed to continue doing what he does. And thus why I wrote what I wrote. Ground hogs day.
To make matters worse, Enos and Diaz said Martell could start the Bowl game after previously saying in the same interview, "He hasn't done anything to deserve to see the field." I just don't get it. Nothing against Martell, but you can't let anyone see the field if they're on sabitcal every few weeks in the season. This is a surefire way to lose your team. Is this the culture Diaz was talking about establishing?

Another NSD, albeit an early one, and a top 15 class in-tow. This is not going to be an account about the merits or miss of this class for this site and talented writers will do a remarkable job covering the signees. However this will be about the individuals, who for the better part of two decades, have claimed to have all the answers.

Miami continues to mire in the depths of ACC coastal **** with no realistic stairway to climb up. So where do you start construction when there is a perpetuating wheel bogged down in ashes?

The athletic director and his assistant have proven one thing. They are strictly not football savvy enough to understand when the intricacies of the sport are failing them. (On field metrics/recruiting/etc) I would argue that they do not know the difference between an RPO or a ROTH IRA. Blake James and his underlings have enacted a hands off approach to coaches and staff decisions to an almost diabolically program killing fault.

That hands off construct allowed Al Golden to retain his best friend. Mark D'Onofrio's defense was allowed to be a bigger sanction then the actual one. James? He sat idly bye and said that staff decisions would be on the discretion of the head coach. Now enter Mark Richt. He was granted the ability to call his own plays and bring in a very under qualified quarterback coach in his son. The result after three years of that particular nefarious affordability didn't end well.

Once again you see how poor staff choices wrapped in nepotism and friendship were allowed to fester to the point of catastrophic field results. When you hear the phrase "inmates run the asylum" the collective choice to allow a poor defensive coordinator and subsequent offensive coordinator wallow in an ineptitude created chaos. And it is something that should at least have it's own quality control.

Manny Diaz doesn't have all the answers. He just proved it after a 6-6 record and 0-3 off bye weeks. Diaz does not have the experience needed as a head coach and cannot be simply afforded the right to make all the staff decisions without proper vetting or a sounding board. I think it is time for the University and the powers that be to look at a position where head coaches will be held accountable at the microscopic and critical levels.

Just today you have a pompous arrogant offensive coordinator who scoffed reporters saying he didn't know what a spread was. Shotgun? Quarterback runs he said. "We do that." But do you know how many designed quarterback runs the team actually ran this year? Five. (dgoould) I wonder if Jennifer Strawley knows that? Regardless of spread or not, Miami had the worst scoring output ranking nationally in over 11 years (cfb stats) But who above Manny Diaz is analyzing the trends with the ability to enact necessary change? Right now? No one.

Blake does not have an affinity in this arena. So get someone in the power structure, a director of football operations/general manager/AD of football who can. I don't want to get caught up on the semantics of the position title but rather someone who will finally know what the F they are doing. STOP allowing the head coaches to make decisions carte blanche that are detrimental to the program. Miami coaches seem to be really adapt at that sort of thing.

Blake raises money. He is good at it. So have at it. If the BOT does not want to fire the guy then so be it. But if Miami is EVER put in a situation where it needs to replace an offensive coordinator or head coach for that matter, I simply cannot say that I have faith in Mr. Blake James. I need someone better. I need someone smarter in this one area.

There are doctors and than there are doctors who specialize. When you need brain surgery you don't call the proctologist. But the way the football program has been run lately it might as well have had its head up its own ***. So go get a "football AD" that actually KNOWS football.

There is also a huge financial stake here. One that the university shouldn't ignore. The ACC championship game/New Years Bowl money is something you cannot simply write off. Why would you? The payouts are astronomical and program changing beneficial. Miami has "on paper" the second best signing class in the ACC yet it will be content to march out another 6-6 season? That isn't good enough. That means something is wrong.

This isn't simply a talent issue at Miami and it hasn't been in a long time. While they don't have the talent to knock off the big boys of the world "yet" it is grossly under-performing and losing to teams they out-recruit regularly and religiously. If Miami simply can beat the teams it is supposed to beat and best good teams merely 50% of the time it would at least allow a few steps up that proverbial ACC ladder.

So in closing go get me a carpenter. I don't trust Manny to make all the necessary decisions. He doesn't have the experience. I don't have faith in Blake James because his track record and hands off approach got us here. So here's to hoping there is someone out there who is smarter than Manny and more hands on than Blake. Oh but where could we find such a man...

Although most of us now expect Diaz will fail, I believe most of us actually hoped he'd be successful. In that vein, these are my quick fixes to turn Miami into a championship caliber team.

1. VP of Football Ops- works directly for AD. Hire a smart football guy, AD doesn't need to know football but he needs an unbiased consigliere between him and the HC. Why? Because the BOT is meddlesome. Former players are meddlesome (which is why we've ended up with assistant coaches as HC so often). Everyone has agendas. James doesn't have a depth of football knowledge to sort through the voices. The VP of football ops will do that and provide the wartime counsel.

2. Proven DC. Everyone says Diaz should run the defense again. Nope. He has his hands full as a HC. Later on if he's successful he will have the juice to say he wants to call plays. For now he needs a legit DC, just like Eddy O paid 2 mil plus for Aranda. Defense should be the one area that needs no attention. Miami is close to being elite on defense. Get a D that allows 16 ppg or less and you allow the OC a margin for error. I dont hate Baker as much as the other coaches, but he isnt ready to be Miami's DC. I would bet money Tosh Lupoi is going to be a casualty of the Browns upcoming house cleaning. Winston Moss would also be solid.

3. Spread OC. Enos is right about 1 thing- there are lots of types of spread offenses. What flavor spread? Does a 4 wide spread O work when we don't have 4 particularly reliable receivers? I think a spread OC that utilizes a lot of 21 personnel would do best, similar to what Kyle Shanahan runs with the 49ers. Miami has an embarrassment of riches at RB. Need to use that talent on the field. Whatever the personnel grouping, we have to have an innovative OC. I think 1.7 mil would land Joe Brady, but personally I'd see if Bedenbaugh would be interested since he also fixes the OL problems.

Last edited:
To make matters worse, Enos and Diaz said Martell could start the Bowl game after previously saying in the same interview, "He hasn't done anything to deserve to see the field." I just don't get it. Nothing against Martell, but you can't let anyone see the field if they're on sabitcal every few weeks in the season. This is a surefire way to lose your team. Is this the culture Diaz was talking about establishing?

Very bad look if Tate starts. My curiosity to see what he can do is tugging at me a bit... But the devastation it would leave the qb room in its wake probably doesn't warrant the curiosity.

Advertisement
Very bad look if Tate starts. My curiosity to see what he can do is tugging at me a bit... But the devastation it would leave the qb room in its wake probably doesn't warrant the curiosity.
I agree that it would be devastating. I think it's devastating the fact that they've even talked about it publicly. You don't say that Martel doesn't deserve to play and then turn around and say he could start. It's already bad.

Sure, I'd like to see what Martell could do in a series or two, but he doesn't deserve to be above Matocha and the walkon on the depth chart. He shouldn't play in the bowl game. That would be like taking Cleveland Reed back from his leave to the Portal and inserting him in the lineup. He shouldn't play in the bowl game even if we needed him. Anarchy would break out with a lot of guys quitting the program entering the portal. The coaches are bypassing accountability and not demanding players earning their place on the team. And they wonder why there's a culture problem.

Devastation? You mean JW will suddenly care less and stop being such an inspiration to the other players? Or Perry will stop trying so hard? I don't see any downside to starting Martell. It's a direct message to the other two QBs: "You both have shown such little initiative and leadership that we think a QB turned WR gives us a better chance to win." Let them marinate over that in the offseason and they can decide if they are going to put in the work next year or transfer. If they both transfer it tells you what you need to know about their competitiveness.

I go back to what Urban Meyer said what traits he looks for in QBs- the #1 factor is the ability to improvise. The #2 is competitiveness. He puts everything else- arm strength, accuracy, mobility, below those two characteristics. And no surprise, Martell is the one QB who never lost a game in HS and was signed by Urban Meyer. It's important to note that that philosophy works best in a college style spread offense. It's horrible for a pro style O because a pro offense depends heavily on a QB with precision and accuracy. The QB is there to execute the OC's playbook exactly as the OC designed it. Starting Martell tells me this also might be Enos's answer to the critics saying he doesn't know how to run a spread offense- I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami running a lot of the shotgun spread, Ohio State style with 11 personnel groupings. As a matter of fact- earlier today didn't he specifically mention that he used a lot of 11 personnel formations and ran spread concepts out of pro style? I don't think that is a coincidence, but rather a foreshadowing of what we will see against La Tech. The one thing that would take some heat off him is to go heavy on spread concepts in the bowl game. It makes sense that he would be looking at Martell as the best choice for a Buckeyes style offense.

I have no doubt that what we heard out of camp is true- Martell is a sh*tty passer. But with a Buckeyes style shotgun spread, Martell as a run threat opens up a lot of possibilities that you don't get with JW or Perry. I realize that Perry has a faster 40 time and is a better thrower, but Martell is the one with the unbelievable shuttle time. He doesn't need to be an open field threat, just a quick twitch guy who will drive the defense crazy with shiftiness and pick up 5-6 yards at will.

Last edited:
Another NSD, albeit an early one, and a top 15 class in-tow. This is not going to be an account about the merits or miss of this class for this site and talented writers will do a remarkable job covering the signees. However this will be about the individuals, who for the better part of two decades, have claimed to have all the answers.

Miami continues to mire in the depths of ACC coastal **** with no realistic stairway to climb up. So where do you start construction when there is a perpetuating wheel bogged down in ashes?

The athletic director and his assistant have proven one thing. They are strictly not football savvy enough to understand when the intricacies of the sport are failing them. (On field metrics/recruiting/etc) I would argue that they do not know the difference between an RPO or a ROTH IRA. Blake James and his underlings have enacted a hands off approach to coaches and staff decisions to an almost diabolically program killing fault.

That hands off construct allowed Al Golden to retain his best friend. Mark D'Onofrio's defense was allowed to be a bigger sanction then the actual one. James? He sat idly bye and said that staff decisions would be on the discretion of the head coach. Now enter Mark Richt. He was granted the ability to call his own plays and bring in a very under qualified quarterback coach in his son. The result after three years of that particular nefarious affordability didn't end well.

Once again you see how poor staff choices wrapped in nepotism and friendship were allowed to fester to the point of catastrophic field results. When you hear the phrase "inmates run the asylum" the collective choice to allow a poor defensive coordinator and subsequent offensive coordinator wallow in an ineptitude created chaos. And it is something that should at least have it's own quality control.

Manny Diaz doesn't have all the answers. He just proved it after a 6-6 record and 0-3 off bye weeks. Diaz does not have the experience needed as a head coach and cannot be simply afforded the right to make all the staff decisions without proper vetting or a sounding board. I think it is time for the University and the powers that be to look at a position where head coaches will be held accountable at the microscopic and critical levels.

Just today you have a pompous arrogant offensive coordinator who scoffed reporters saying he didn't know what a spread was. Shotgun? Quarterback runs he said. "We do that." But do you know how many designed quarterback runs the team actually ran this year? Five. (dgoould) I wonder if Jennifer Strawley knows that? Regardless of spread or not, Miami had the worst scoring output ranking nationally in over 11 years (cfb stats) But who above Manny Diaz is analyzing the trends with the ability to enact necessary change? Right now? No one.

Blake does not have an affinity in this arena. So get someone in the power structure, a director of football operations/general manager/AD of football who can. I don't want to get caught up on the semantics of the position title but rather someone who will finally know what the F they are doing. STOP allowing the head coaches to make decisions carte blanche that are detrimental to the program. Miami coaches seem to be really adapt at that sort of thing.

Blake raises money. He is good at it. So have at it. If the BOT does not want to fire the guy then so be it. But if Miami is EVER put in a situation where it needs to replace an offensive coordinator or head coach for that matter, I simply cannot say that I have faith in Mr. Blake James. I need someone better. I need someone smarter in this one area.

There are doctors and than there are doctors who specialize. When you need brain surgery you don't call the proctologist. But the way the football program has been run lately it might as well have had its head up its own ***. So go get a "football AD" that actually KNOWS football.

There is also a huge financial stake here. One that the university shouldn't ignore. The ACC championship game/New Years Bowl money is something you cannot simply write off. Why would you? The payouts are astronomical and program changing beneficial. Miami has "on paper" the second best signing class in the ACC yet it will be content to march out another 6-6 season? That isn't good enough. That means something is wrong.

This isn't simply a talent issue at Miami and it hasn't been in a long time. While they don't have the talent to knock off the big boys of the world "yet" it is grossly under-performing and losing to teams they out-recruit regularly and religiously. If Miami simply can beat the teams it is supposed to beat and best good teams merely 50% of the time it would at least allow a few steps up that proverbial ACC ladder.

So in closing go get me a carpenter. I don't trust Manny to make all the necessary decisions. He doesn't have the experience. I don't have faith in Blake James because his track record and hands off approach got us here. So here's to hoping there is someone out there who is smarter than Manny and more hands on than Blake. Oh but where could we find such a man...
@1mg of Epi @Go Canes!!
This has been my argument for how many years now? Ive been saying dont give these coaches enough rope to hang themselves for way too long. Its the most passive aggresive form of corporate management Ive ever seen. "We support you, we support you, we support you, youve been fired... on to the next clown."

Advertisement
I hate the idea for an "AD of Football." Blake is supposed to be that but isn't qualified.

All they will do is undoubtedly give the job to an alumnus that can insulate the administrators from blame. That's all it is for. Giving Highsmith or whoever a fancy title so when **** goes wrong they can trot out a former player to take heat off of the people who are in charge.
I’ve been on record since this first surfaced in favor of Zo.

The man knows football at the highest level. Even better, operations.

Take away that he is alum. What is the downside?

I’ve been on record since this first surfaced in favor of Zo.

The man knows football at the highest level. Even better, operations.

Take away that he is alum. What is the downside?
Read the back and forth I had with Roman

Cliffnotes: I doubt he'd have any real authority and would just be a criticism "meat shield" for Blake/Admin

Some might not have that acute level football high IQ but the HC was able to employ proper systems and 100% NAIL both coordinator hires.

So far we have let a DC remain because he was a best friend. (Manny comes in and the defense improves 50 spots nationally from previous average ranks)

Richt brings in son and insists on calling plays. (QBs % have improved under enos)

Richt, enos, Cooley, e.t.c have not produced a top 25 scoring offense in the past 11 years (Clemson has 7 times)

I think that's where the trickle down effect is hampering this program. Coordinator hires.

Agreed. My only concern is you may limit coach hires if they believe they're subject to a "general manager" of sorts. Simply put, why be overseen by someone here if you can have total control elsewhere? We saw this play out in the NFL with head coach/general manager and coaches wanting to have both roles.

Advertisement
The problem is, even fans like yourself @Roman Marciante were snowed by the Diaz hire. You, Roman said Enos’ offense would have Jeff Thomas “High School open” during the season. Yet we lost to FIU and Duke? The fact is, even football experts can make bad hires. Once the contract is signed, the school is on the hook for the buyout.

@1mg of Epi @Go Canes!!
This has been my argument for how many years now? Ive been saying dont give these coaches enough rope to hang themselves for way too long. Its the most passive aggresive form of corporate management Ive ever seen. "We support you, we support you, we support you, youve been fired... on to the next clown."
Yep. You’ve been saying it for years. 3 regimes now.

Some might not have that acute level football high IQ but the HC was able to employ proper systems and 100% NAIL both coordinator hires.

So far we have let a DC remain because he was a best friend. (Manny comes in and the defense improves 50 spots nationally from previous average ranks)

Richt brings in son and insists on calling plays. (QBs % have improved under enos)

Richt, enos, Cooley, e.t.c have not produced a top 25 scoring offense in the past 11 years (Clemson has 7 times)

I think that's where the trickle down effect is hampering this program. Coordinator hires.

Is it coordinators though?

It all flows down from the top. Blake James is incompetent when it comes to accountability for his staffing decisions. Call a spade a spade. We could have gone after :insert up and coming coach here: and failed. We could have gone after actually proven head coaches and failed.

Randy (predates BJ) was hired with zero experience. Why is this important? Look there could be an argument made for Randy was not given the financial support to hire who he wanted to. Lets put that in the left hand. On the other hand he did not attend his own summer camp which requires zero financial support. Lets not even begin to talk about his game days (see time outs which he did at UF as well as interim). Regardless Blake James if he was competent would acknowledge what takes place when you hire a brand new head coach.

Golden? Nothing more needs to be said that has not been said.

Richt? Lazy hire. Incompetent ownership/accountability in managing certain aspects of that regime. Nothing more needs to be said. We are lucky Richt decided to step down.

And here we are now.

Unless Manny is trolling us and Enos is gone in the near future that man actually had the balls to defend his offense as if :insert 70 statistical points of failure: do not exist.

Leadership starts at the top. The BOT has failed this program by hiring incompetence and allowing said incompetence to stick around. Blake James has failed this program by not taking ownership of his hires and forcing them to implement change when it is clearly needed.

I can only imagine what will happen if Manny loses to Temple assuming zero staff changes take place.

Advertisement

If Diaz wants any chance of surviving as the coach of the U he’s going to have to figure out how to stop spewing Manure out of his mouth! And the way he’s handled players’ play time has been an absolute debacle. Here’s some of the ones off the top of my head...

1) Tate playing WR in game 1
2) Rousseau leading in sacks and doesn’t start until game 4 or 5
3) The QB carousel and starting JW and N’kosi not with shoulder injuries (probably more on Penos, but HCIC needs to make the call)
4) Handling of the WR room and the amount of playing time or lack there of... Hightower left because of playing favorites and players that dance or clap
5) Lingard... **** don’t get me started! Absolute garbage excuses for not playing him

I was all for Martell getting action at QB earlier this season, but if he plays in the bowl game after he commented that he was being shutdown for the rest of the year, is gonna be a big problem IMO. I sort of want to see what he could do too, but this ain’t the time.

Is TVD a legit contender for starting next year in your opinion? If so, maybe the coaches just don't care at this point about the disaster in the qb room. At this point the morbid curiosity is all I have left anyways. We shouldn't be at a bowl game at the end of a season and still have no clue who our starting qb is anyways.

Is TVD a legit contender for starting next year in your opinion? If so, maybe the coaches just don't care at this point about the disaster in the qb room. At this point the morbid curiosity is all I have left anyways. We shouldn't be at a bowl game at the end of a season and still have no clue who our starting qb is anyways.

Do not count out Machoda......

Advertisement
Back