Head Coach Accountability (LONG) How to fix it

I hate the idea for an "AD of Football." Blake is supposed to be that but isn't qualified.

All they will do is undoubtedly give the job to an alumnus that can insulate the administrators from blame. That's all it is for. Giving Highsmith or whoever a fancy title so when **** goes wrong they can trot out a former player to take heat off of the people who are in charge.

They are not firing Blake anytime soon. And Blake refuses to make staff decisions. And we saw what that did with Golden, and the Richt. 8 years wasted with one good year (but ended extremely poor) Enos by all accounts by statistical metrics should not be allowed to keep his job. But....you have trust in Manny to make that decision or a non willing Blake?

Advertisement
In parts.

Football is the largest money making sport and actually funds most other sports
Your parallels are lazy because...
No. The president of the university or your accounting professor should not be required to know football
But the "ATHLETIC DIRECTOR" or ONE OF HIS SUBORDINATES should
If THAT person isn't doing HIS job? Well if the AD isn't versed enough in football intricacies how does he know?
You have an OC 130/130 on third downs, terrible in SO many metrics, But if he keeps his job?
It does work in the NFL. IT IS CALLED A GENERAL MANAGER lol
The ONLY thing I actually agree with what you said was that I seriously don't have any idea what an athletic director does because I have ZERO idea what Blake James is doing.

"Miles beyond stupid" Try a phrase like, I disagree with this in many parts. Because I am just pretty sure you called me stupid ace. And let's keep the personal attacks on opinions to a minimum.
Totally agree on all counts including not putting up with the ever increasing amount of juvenile personal attacks on this site.

And, I DO think for our situation, a GM for our football program could really work, assuming you have the right person. Your central point about allowing too much autonomy for the HC is right on and if you had someone in a GM-like position, who was able to help push back at times and be a dissenting voice that must be considered, that could really help. It could also take away some of the HC duties that usually fall to them and often distract from actual football decisions and activities.

Mark Richt had TONS of experience. But Blake thought having him call plays and bring in his under qualified son was a good idea. Someone who was a little more football savvy might have asked a couple more questions. This wheel will continually perpetuate if you can't develop certain stop gaps.

Mark Richt was not a good coach. He was YEARS after his prime and never should have been hired.

And if he hadn't retired and kept running his horrible scheme he would have been fired here as well.

They are not firing Blake anytime soon. And Blake refuses to make staff decisions. And we saw what that did with Golden, and the Richt. 8 years wasted with one good year (but ended extremely poor) Enos by all accounts by statistical metrics should not be allowed to keep his job. But....you have trust in Manny to make that decision or a non willing Blake?

Again, the position of "Director of Football" already exists. It's the HC.

If the HC can't be trusted to run the team, he should be replaced. Do you not agree? Have you ever called for Diaz's removal? And if not, why? You think they are going to invent a job for someone when the job description is "be the head coach but not be called the HC or paid like one"?? Do you realize how idiotic this is????

Totally agree on all counts including not putting up with the ever increasing amount of juvenile personal attacks on this site.

And, I DO think for our situation, a GM for our football program could really work, assuming you have the right person. Your central point about allowing too much autonomy for the HC is right on and if you had someone in a GM-like position, who was able to help push back at times and be a dissenting voice that must be considered, that could really help. It could also take away some of the HC duties that usually fall to them and often distract from actual football decisions and activities.

There already is a GM for the football program. Every team has one. It's called "Head Coach".

Advertisement

I have ZERO qualms about a good debate or different points. I have been fortunate enough to have had a voice in pod casting, writing and thousands (way way too many) interactions on social media and I just don't put a premium on ever attacking ANYONE for differences of opinion. I don't get why someone has to resort to that. It isn't wrong, it is different. Man that saying by a mentor really changed my perspective.

But I see a really bad formula of poor staff decisions by coaches and an unwilling AD who allows it far too long. Maybe someone else has a better option than fire everyone? But I am curious if a name like ZO with high level football IQ and experience in roster management etc, could be a resounding resource and sounding board for a rookie head coach.

I think some immediately think that this is a scape goat of someone incredibly micro managerial. But this can be a very very good symbiotic relationship as well.

There already is a GM for the football program. Every team has one. It's called "Head Coach".
I think we're disagreeing on semantics. The GM role could oversee things like overall direction of the program, management of resources, overseeing branding of football, overseeing hiring and firing, and fundraising, and that would free the HC to focus more exclusively on strictly football related issues and spending more time with the players to create more of a sense of community, etc.

We're in the situation we're in, so instead of waiting for the next 2 decades until Blake retires, I'd pretty please like to turn our football team around.

I have ZERO qualms about a good debate or different points. I have been fortunate enough to have had a voice in pod casting, writing and thousands (way way too many) interactions on social media and I just don't put a premium on ever attacking ANYONE for differences of opinion. I don't get why someone has to resort to that. It isn't wrong, it is different. Man that saying by a mentor really changed my perspective.

But I see a really bad formula of poor staff decisions by coaches and an unwilling AD who allows it far too long. Maybe someone else has a better option than fire everyone? But I am curious if a name like ZO with high level football IQ and experience in roster management etc, could be a resounding resource and sounding board for a rookie head coach.

I think some immediately think that this is a scape goat of someone incredibly micro managerial. But this can be a very very good symbiotic relationship as well.

Or you could just, oh I dunno, not hire a rookie HC who has fielded one top 10 defense his whole career. I know, it's such a strange idea that hiring a complete loser whose best offer was temple is something Miami should never ever do. But hey, he used to the word "violence" once in an interview and you love the movie "Scarface" and weirdly think our HC needs to be Tony Montana.

Fans like you are why the program died.

Advertisement
So what are the odds of anything actually being done about our AD/leadership? Because otherwise it really just feels like dying a long slow death to obscurity.

I think we're disagreeing on semantics. The GM role could oversee things like overall direction of the program, management of resources, overseeing branding of football, overseeing hiring and firing, and fundraising, and that would free the HC to focus more exclusively on strictly football related issues and spending more time with the players to create more of a sense of community, etc.

We're in the situation we're in, so instead of waiting for the next 2 decades until Blake retires, I'd pretty please like to turn our football team around.

You turn it around by hiring a legit qualified elite Head Coach. Just like, oh I dunno, EVERY OTHER PROGRAM WHO HAS COME BACK FROM THE DEAD DID.

NO head coach is going to allow some suit to pick their staff or recruits.

Do you think Urban Meyer needs a GM of football?

And, when you look at teams like BAMA, CLEMSON and LSU who have a dozen "consultants" on the payroll, and this very thing is one of the main things Oregon attributes to this year's success, then consolidating that, or putting those things under a GM, make a lot of sense.

And, when you look at teams like BAMA, CLEMSON and LSU who have a dozen "consultants" on the payroll, and this very thing is one of the main things Oregon attributes to this year's success, then consolidating that, or putting those things under a GM, make a lot of sense.

They then report to the HEAD COACH. What is so difficult to understand about this? You think Mario and Dabo are spending their time drawing up fancy blitzes? What exactly do you think a Head Coach does?

All of the things you are asking for are something a qualified HC does. Ours doesnt bc he is a complete nobody who is horrible and clueless.

Advertisement
They then report to the HEAD COACH. What is so difficult to understand about this? You think Mario and Dabo are spending their time drawing up fancy blitzes? What exactly do you think a Head Coach does?

All of the things you are asking for are something a qualified HC does. Ours doesnt bc he is a complete nobody who is horrible and clueless.
What I've described is basically what happens at the highest level of football, the NFL. So, why don't they have the HC doing all the things you've described? Seems obvious when you look at it that way.

So what are the odds of anything actually being done about our AD/leadership? Because otherwise it really just feels like dying a long slow death to obscurity.

I don't know if you have noticed, and not being a debby downer, this is what obscurity looks like. 6-6 with losses to FIU, Duke and a rebuilding GT team. You have a pompous arrogant OC who has yet to admit he needs to wholesale improve and the AD simply will not get involved. I really hope this can be looked at in some capacity, because if you aren't firing the AD (unlikely) then you will continually fire head coaches who can't get it done. Then that same AD who has hired coaches who (aren't qualified, or qualified and demanding things they shouldn't) is left to continue. Man something needs to change. And someone who knows what they are actually doing needs to be involved. Because this is insanity.

What I've described is basically what happens at the highest level of football, the NFL. So, why don't they have the HC doing all the things you've described? Seems obvious when you look at it that way.

NFL Head Coaches don't pick their coaches? They don't decide what schemes to run?

The NFL is a completely different league where the difference between teams is miniscule compared to college. NFL coaches in 2019 spend most of their time on scheme scheme scheme. You realize NFL playbooks are not only hundreds of pages, but that they can install different packages weekly, bc they are pros.

Advertisement
I don't know if you have noticed, and not being a debby downer, this is what obscurity looks like. 6-6 with losses to FIU, Duke and a rebuilding GT team. You have a pompous arrogant OC who has yet to admit he needs to wholesale improve and the AD simply will not get involved. I really hope this can be looked at in some capacity, because if you aren't firing the AD (unlikely) then you will continually fire head coaches who can't get it done. Then that same AD who has hired coaches who (aren't qualified, or qualified and demanding things they shouldn't) is left to continue. Man something needs to change. And someone who knows what they are actually doing needs to be involved. Because this is insanity.

Once again, you completely absolve Diaz of any blame or responsibility. Why are you so intent on him being our HC despite his completely inability to do the job?

Once again, you completely absolve Diaz of any blame or responsibility. Why are you so intent on him being our HC despite his completely inability to do the job?
Uh, I've mentioned several times on this platform that I wish he'd be removed. The problem is, however, the same people who took 3 hours to hire him, will be the same ones to replace him. So, I'd like someone with brains and football savvy to guide the hiring of the next HC and also have a hand in shaping the actual New Miami.

So, I'm with you brother! I want Diaz gone and now that recruiting is mostly over for the year, I'd be happy if his ouster was announced at a press conference tomorrow morning. But, I do think we need strong and stable leadership in football matters and a guy like Zo, or actually the real Zo, would ONLY improve our situation. Accountability is a good thing and as long as a HC understood what he was coming into with a GM, and the expectations and rules of engagement are laid out, I think you could find a lot of men who could fit right in here.

I have come to the realization that the school/ administrators are content on cashing ACC checks. The U has become a handout / welfare program. They field a team just to meet the minimum requirements of receiving those welfare checks from the ACC. In my opinion the program of the past is dead and gone, greed and apathy have become the norm.

Advertisement
Back