He’s being thorough

Manny was king of the off-season. He generated a ton of excitement on CIS for his antics but then the games were played & that excitement waned very quickly.

So Mario is struggling in January to name coordinators & lost 2 coaches. What matters is that he wins once games are played. Let’s reserve judgment until games are actually played.

Advertisement
You guys need to take breaks in the off-season if you're this dramatic about coaches leaving for Alma maters and to play with Saban (like Mario did back in the day)

Oregon lost Mario to us because we're the Alma mater.

We lost bmac to UGA - his Alma mater

We lost t rob to Saban -

I'd say there's plenty of context involved in all of this and to not get too worked up. Zoom out and see that it's not as good or as bad as we ever believe it to be
Personally I'm not that upset about BMac, it certainly seemed like the writing was on the wall. There was some smoke before all of this anyway...However, I still dont understand why we haven't filled a staff. With all of the "resources" we now have

I like Mario but optics this is bad u can't spin it unless he replaces those guys with heavy recruiters. Who's out there that we can poach? We can't poach UGA or Bama or UF either.
Not sure if this has been discussed but is it possible that he has an agreement in place with a coach who is waiting until after signing day to not disrupt their current teams recruiting class? Or is that a reach.

Maybe Mario should cut his 5-6 hour interviews down to 1-2…seems like while he’s trying to process all the info he’s gotten in those 5-6 hours he’s losing coaches to guys that are only taking an hour or two…

There’s such a thing as being thorough but it’s a fine line before thoroughness becomes obsessive compulsive…

Advertisement
Mario is flat out not closing imo. I don't necessarily fault him for it (hard to keep coaches from Bama/UGA/convince HC's to become coordinators), but the people suggesting we haven't been turned down (because it would mean our job isn't as desirable as they want to believe/maybe not as much money as we thought?) are downplaying or flat out ignoring some pretty strong evidence to the contrary.

We offered Candle. He turned us down.
If we offered Briles, then he turned us down.
Some smoke out there that we took a hard look at Schumann, but he didn't want to leave Athens yet.
Seems like we zeroed in on Belk (according to our own insiders), but nothing is coming of it.
We lost Trob to Bama.
We lost BMac to Georgia.

It's been 8 weeks and we have 3 position coaches... Even by Mario's Oregon standards (he had most of his staff filled before NSD iirc), we're way behind pace.

How many times would you say your Let's see how it plays out strategy has worked out for you regarding Miami football over the last almost two decades?
I just gave you an example from the last two months. Money solves a lot of problems.

True nobody thought that... But looking at Mario at his previous stops it's pretty typical for him to wait until February to make hires.

we don't have to agree with it but clearly he turned his sole focus towards recruiting before next Wednesday signing day. It's not like we're not going to have coaches next year, calling it a sh*t show is over dramatic imo
He started during the dead period. There are no excuses for this. Clearly he was waiting for Dorsey and that went sideways. In any case, plenty of other coaches have managed to short term multi task recruiting and completing their staff, and then once the staff was hired they had more boots on the ground to recruit. This has been a **** show no matter what spin you want to place on it or whatever priority he has given to the 5 or so kids we are after for this years signing day.

Advertisement
You guys need to take breaks in the off-season if you're this dramatic about coaches leaving for Alma maters and to play with Saban (like Mario did back in the day)

Oregon lost Mario to us because we're the Alma mater.

We lost bmac to UGA - his Alma mater

We lost t rob to Saban -

I'd say there's plenty of context involved in all of this and to not get too worked up. Zoom out and see that it's not as good or as bad as we ever believe it to be
Excuses are like poems ... they're for pussies and nobody wants to hear them.

You did, but you still would have been wrong significantly more than right.
I’m confused on how dmoney would be in the wrong at all by saying let’s see how it plays out? His strategy as a fan is let’s wait and see before making judgement. You’re acting like it was his strategy making all of these hires. As a fan what’s the alternative strategy than to be patient? Complain on this board?

Advertisement
Maybe Mario should cut his 5-6 hour interviews down to 1-2…seems like while he’s trying to process all the info he’s gotten in those 5-6 hours he’s losing coaches to guys that are only taking an hour or two…

There’s such a thing as being thorough but it’s a fine line before thoroughness becomes obsessive compulsive…
Analysis paralysis… which is not great for a coach in a sport on a revolving clock of 35 seconds. He is filling out a coaching staff, not planning the invasion of Normandy or working on the Manhattan Project. Make a decision, get these deals over the finish line, fill out the staff, and get more people in the building to recruit.

Advertisement
Just too much negativity heading into signing day. We look unorganized and unstable. How do you have all this time and money and losing your best recruiters and have NO coordinators???

Mario really needs to hire some **** body to get some positive mojo heading into Tuesday.

He started during the dead period. There are no excuses for this. Clearly he was waiting for Dorsey and that went sideways. In any case, plenty of other coaches have managed to short term multi task recruiting and completing their staff, and then once the staff was hired they had more boots on the ground to recruit. This has been a **** show no matter what spin you want to place on it or whatever priority he has given to the 5 or so kids we are after for this years signing day.

I could never understand the Dorsey thing.Either Dorsey told Mario he was coming no matter what or Mario was being delusional in thinking he’d leave an NFL OC job to come back to his Alma mater.
Most anyone that watches the NFL knew Daboll was going to get a HC job whenever the Bills got knocked out of the playoffs and he was going to either take Ken with him or the Bills we’re going to promote him.Either way Dorsey was NEVER an option.
This was a waste of weeks of waiting cause it had little to no chance to happening and it him cost weeks of working to secure someone else.

IF the Dorsey info was real….which I for one have no clue about the same as most others but if it was Mario thinking he could pull him without something definitive promised he waaaaay overplayed his hand and it cost him a shot at getting one of the other 20-30 OC that have been hired over the past 8 weeks.

At this point getting people hired today ,tomorrow ,next week really doesn’t matter unless he continues to lose coaches he really wants.NSD is over Wednesday and we will get who we get and he can handle the portal so we really only need to have coaches hired by spring.

Get comfortable guys this thread is headed to 2500 on a bullet train type speed.

Advertisement
Back