Harrison-Hunte Update

Here are the numbers for the starters fpr the last 3 super bowl teams, not even close to 2% for 3 stars. But you could be right could you post a link? https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...atriots-eagles-high-school-recruiting-ratings Eagles 12 four or five stars, 10 three stars or less, in the ball park of 50%. Rams it's 50% 3 star or less for the best players on the team. Sure looks like it's a crap shoot to me. Not sure where your 2% figure comes from for the entire team, I say that figure is BS not on you, but where ever you got the figure from. I could possibly see 20% of 3 stars I guess.

are the best players on the playoff teams 4-5 star guys or are they 3 stars who developed in college or at the pros (not including brady). i don't like the percentages much bc there are a lot more 3 star kids than 4-5 stars (at least id have to imagine)

Advertisement
So this kid going to be a Cane or what? He is emanates with Blisset and Gammal or just all from the same area in NY?

Have y’all ever considered that the reason he’s a 3* is because he’s from NY? A basketball hotbed? Saqoun had to leave there to play high school ball for a reason. That factors into rankings as well just as much as tape because it forces you to take what you’re seeing with a grain of salt. Kelvin Harmon is probably going to be the 2nd/3rd WR of the board this upcoming draft and we turned him down for Sam Bruce...and why do you think that was?

Last edited:
are the best players on the playoff teams 4-5 star guys or are they 3 stars who developed in college or at the pros (not including brady). i don't like the percentages much bc there are a lot more 3 star kids than 4-5 stars (at least id have to imagine)

I'd have to say the 4-5 star kids were more developed coming out of HS. Coming out of HS I could probably lift 90 lbs, one year after starting lifting I could bench 315. Seems like some in smaller schools might not have all the same tools to work with, not including better coaches. I'd have to agree with you If only the top 300 kids in the entire country are 4-5 stars put that number against all the rest of the kids in the country which is probably tens of thousands.

Lol ... recruiting services arent putting in the same efforts scouting the NE corridor as they do the south. Also lineman develop late ALL the time. So saying programs are offering him late doesnt mean ****.
I’m not knocking the kid. The discussion was whether he was underrated or appropriately rated. Saying linemen develop late all the time is true, but tells us nothing about this kid relative to other kids.

You guys seem to have a hard on for the idea he should be a 4* recruit, which is hilarious considering you’re also denigrating the recruiting services for sucking. Which is it?

I personally don’t give a **** what his star ranking is. I like him as a prospect. I’m just not hung up arguing that he needs more stars.

Advertisement
Here are the numbers for the starters fpr the last 3 super bowl teams, not even close to 2% for 3 stars. But you could be right could you post a link? https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...atriots-eagles-high-school-recruiting-ratings Eagles 12 four or five stars, 10 three stars or less, in the ball park of 50%. Rams it's 50% 3 star or less for the best players on the team. Sure looks like it's a crap shoot to me. Not sure where your 2% figure comes from for the entire team, I say that figure is BS not on you, but where ever you got the figure from. I could possibly see 20% of 3 stars I guess.
So lemme rephrase that:

A super bowl team has the following make up of its starters:
50% 1-3*
50% 4-5*

A recruiting class typically has 30ish 5 star recruits and 300ish 4 star recruits, For a total of 330 4*and 5* kids. The same recruiting class will have a couple thousand unranked to 3* kids.

If you were filling out a roster, which pool would pick from? In other words, where do u have the best shot at picking nfl starter quality players?

Would you choose 11 from the pool of 335, or would u choose 11 from the pool of thousands?

While the number of starters from each pool
Is the same, the odds that any particular player is nfl starter quality is much much much greater coming from the 4-5* kids.

It is a fallacy to believe stars don’t matter. There’s just exponentially more lower ranked kids. 4 and 5 star kids are much more likely to be nfl players.

41% of 5 star recruits play in the NFL.

http://footballscoop.com/news/stars-matter-recruiting-data-says/

So lemme rephrase that:

A super bowl team has the following make up of its starters:
50% 1-3*
50% 4-5*

A recruiting class typically has 30ish 5 star recruits and 300ish 4 star recruits, For a total of 330 4*and 5* kids. The same recruiting class will have a couple thousand unranked to 3* kids.

If you were filling out a roster, which pool would pick from? In other words, where do u have the best shot at picking nfl starter quality players?

Would you choose 11 from the pool of 335, or would u choose 11 from the pool of thousands?

While the number of starters from each pool
Is the same, the odds that any particular player is nfl starter quality is much much much greater coming from the 4-5* kids.

It is a fallacy to believe stars don’t matter. There’s just exponentially more lower ranked kids. 4 and 5 star kids are much more likely to be nfl players.

41% of 5 star recruits play in the NFL.

http://footballscoop.com/news/stars-matter-recruiting-data-says/

Without going into Bayes vs Frequentist (get in here @Lance Roffers ) this is the correct analysis. Its a probability outcome. 50% probability from an order of magnitude smaller sample is significant.

he looks like a 5* body type for a DT athleticism is off the charts for a DT. show me the last 5* DT that could dunk like that. he should be a 4*. he will be a DT the 247 rankings gurus will look back on and say we messed that one up

Advertisement
Don’t make me pull out the videos of Andrew Tallman dunking.

(I have no dog in this fight.... both of you are smart guys making valid points. I like Hunte. ****ed you made me go spend 10 minutes trying to find the Tallman dunk vid that made the rounds).

still remember Tallman barely getting that dunk in.

This kid is athletic as **** and a biog coup if we land him. Not sure what the issue is?. With that athleticism and frame in a true s&c and look out.

I’m not knocking the kid. The discussion was whether he was underrated or appropriately rated. Saying linemen develop late all the time is true, but tells us nothing about this kid relative to other kids.

You guys seem to have a hard on for the idea he should be a 4* recruit, which is hilarious considering you’re also denigrating the recruiting services for sucking. Which is it?

I personally don’t give a **** what his star ranking is. I like him as a prospect. I’m just not hung up arguing that he needs more stars.

He has 4 star level OFFERS...culd care LESS about 4 star Ranking. A kid recruited by : Miami,psu,OSU , BAMA isnt your avg 3 star kid.

Simpson clearly didn’t like the DT prospects in florida or the games they were playing. Love that he didn’t waste his time and identified OOS talent. He has us in good shape at the spot moving forward.

Davis was the only in state DT I really wanted but it’s hard to turn down Clemson these days.

Daxon (who he got a lot of grief for dropping) is now committed to OHIO. Not the buckeyes.

There must have been a Bagman short term apartment leasing special in Orlando this season because because between Davis (Clemson), Sorrells ( South Carolina), and the other kids at Wekiva HS and Winter Park HS there was a lot of money spent around O-town for the 2019 class.

So I don't fault Coach Simpson one bit for going OOS.

Go Canes

Advertisement
A fourth star means you're a Top 300 player. McIntosh got picked 139th despite a bad kidney condition. He was projected as a Top 75 pick before that.

He pretty clearly proved to be a four-star caliber player.

You have a distorted view of how the star system works.

Per 247
89 - 80 = Three-star prospect. One of the top 10% players in the nation. This player will develop into a reliable starter for his college team and is among the best players in his region of the country. Many three-stars have significant pro potential.

McIntosh was .8543
Harrison-Hunte is a .8763

Seems like a very fair assessment of McIntosh as a prospect in HS and as a college going into the pros. One of the best players in the region (conference) and has pro potential (was drafted...albeit late). Also sounds like a good assessment of JHH. One of the better players in his region, could develop into a reliable starter, has some pro potential. Thats a three star prospect, b.

A four-star prospect...per 247
97 - 90 = Four-star prospect. One of the top 300 players in the nation. This prospect will be an impact-player for his college team. He is an All-American candidate who is projected to play professionally.

I'm not fantasy booking here, brother. I'm taking what happened. You're straight fantasy booking by saying McIntosh was a "Top 75 prospect"...sure, maybe, but he wasn't.

McIntosh became an impact pass rusher (for a season), but not an All-American and as a late rounder has some potential to play professionally. We'll see.

Right now, does JHH project as an All-American? You're marking out if you think that.

Have y’all ever considered that the reason he’s a 3* is because he’s from NY? A basketball hotbed? Saqoun had to leave there to play high school ball for a reason. That factors into rankings as well just as much as tape because it forces you to take what you’re seeing with a grain of salt. Kelvin Harmon is probably going to be the 2nd/3rd WR of the board this upcoming draft and we turned him down for Sam Bruce...and why do you think that was?
It is possible that it has affected Hunte's ranking and perception.

As to Barkley, he moved to Pennsylvania long before high school. He is a product of PA football.

Advertisement
Is there any conspiratorial evidence that kids commit to schools for a rankings bump.
They keep saying this about bama. Plenty of film on Neal to make him a 5 star but doesn’t get it until after he commits. Same with Jeudy. Not saying they didn’t t deserve it. I’m just pointing out that these kids seem to magically get there 4th or 5th star after they commit to certain schools.

I'm going by their own explanation.

A four-star player is defined as a Top 300 player in the country. McIntosh got picked 139th by the NFL. Thus, he was one of the Top 300 players in the country and should have been a four-star coming out of high school.

And it's more when you consider more than one class of kids will be in a draft in any given year. The 2019 draft will feature 2016 kids, 2015, and probably a few 2014 kids as well.

I'm going by their own explanation.

A four-star player is defined as a Top 300 player in the country. McIntosh got picked 139th by the NFL. Thus, he was one of the Top 300 players in the country and should have been a four-star coming out of high school.

Yeah, you're just moving the goalpost. The rest of the explanation qualifies that statement by saying they are an All-American caliber player...RJ McIntosh was a second Team All-Conference player at his peak.

If you're saying JHH is, like RJM in many ways, then I couldn't agree more. They are both three star players.

Rival's definition of a three-star player...
considered among the region’s top prospects and generally among the nation’s top 800-850 prospects overall, a potential All-Conference candidate and a player deemed to have mid to low-end pro potential and ability to impact at the college level.

Sounds like McIntosh.

Per Rivals, their definition of a 4* player
a national All American candidate and a player deemed to have first to third round NFL potential

That doesn't sound like McIntosh. He was never that, even in your fantasy booking.

Per ESPN...a 3* prospect
These players show flashes of dominance, but not on a consistent basis -- especially when matched up against the top players in the country. Players closer to a 79 rating possess BCS-caliber ability and the potential to be a quality starter or all-conference player. Players closer to a 70 rating are likely non-BCS conference caliber prospects.

Per ESPN a 4* prospect
These players have the ability to create mismatches versus most opponents and have dominant performances. These players could contribute as a true freshmen and could end up as all-conference or All-America candidates during their college careers and develop into difference-makers over time.

By saying they are a four-star prospect...regardless of the service, you are saying they are an All-American player. RJ McIntosh was NOT an All-American player at any time. He was never a first team All-Conference player.

So, are you saying Jared Harrison-Hunte is going to be an All-American player?

I don't.

Nice player, but you need to put some context to things you are saying. Right now, you've said he'll become an All-American here.

I'll take that bet and give you the points.

Advertisement
Back