Hardest CFB jobs (from The Athletic)

This. I read once that you could not fill up a 100k stadium with Miami's living alumni (give or take and that was the stat 10 years ago but you get the point).

We never filled up the OB even in the early 00s for middling conference games.
I read somewhere that Florida graduates more in one year than Miami does in ten so...

Advertisement
I read somewhere that Florida graduates more in one year than Miami does in ten so...
we enroll around 2k a class or so or did at least. say 1500 of those graduate yearly. UF enrolls prolly around 10? so yea makes sense. not all UF alumni give back, but the ones that do travel back weekly and donate a crap ton bc UF makes it so In order to receive benefits. also, its a college town. the school life revolves around the swamp and football. its hard not to be at a game as a student there bc that's what everyone did. it will never be that way at Miami. in todays football, we won't compete with the fan side of it or even donation side of it. we can hire competent coaching tho.

when was the OB 90k? lol.

most I've seen it was like 80 and that's w the bleachers they added in for the FSU games.

Who said the OB had 90k? I think the most it ever got to was 85-86k. iirc.

we enroll around 2k a class or so or did at least. say 1500 of those graduate yearly. UF enrolls prolly around 10? so yea makes sense. not all UF alumni give back, but the ones that do travel back weekly and donate a crap ton bc UF makes it so In order to receive benefits. also, its a college town. the school life revolves around the swamp and football. its hard not to be at a game as a student there bc that's what everyone did. it will never be that way at Miami. in todays football, we won't compete with the fan side of it or even donation

also, UF alum are more than likely to be/stay in state, donate and attend games than UM alums, which are heavy on OOS folks.

View attachment 157725
Voters (60 people working in CFB) were asked to list their toughest five jobs in order of preference.
So, some college ADs are just as stupid as members of this fanbase. Amazing how many myths about the University persist, despite the existence of google. Yes, we do have a student section at Hard Rock, that said, it's not 20,000 students strong, because even if every undergrad and grad student showed up, we'd be 3,000 kids short.

The Rose Bowl is further than Hard Rock from Miami. They average about the same amount of fans as Miami. I never see people **** on it the way our stadium situation gets dragged. Maybe it’s the historic nature of the RB, but it’s a tired trope. Hard Rock is electric when there is a good product.

Advertisement
Whether you agree or not with the poll results you must accept that that is how we are perceived by the outside world.

We can live inside our bubble OR face reality.

I say this because, so many times I've seen unrealistic posts on CIS by people thinking that being a HC at Miami is considered to be a plum position by other coaches, especially someone who is already successful at our level.

Realistically, I think our chances of landing a top tier successful coach are slim to none. We were very fortunate that Richt fell into laps in his waning years. Unfortunately he was not another geriatric wonder like Sunder was at KSU but his donation helped to finance the void of support from the administration AND OUR FANS.

We have to aim lower. Assistant coaches, also and there's plenty of excellent coaches at the lower tiers who would consider coaching here as an upgrade.

Last edited:
The OB was built for the Hurricanes, with construction completed in 1937, it was never an NFL stadium, ditto with The Coliseum.
The NFL didn't exist in Miami in the 30s, so it couldn't have been built for a pro team. That said, we shared it with a pro team for decades. Same with the Coliseum in LA. SC shared it with pro teams for decades.

The Rose Bowl is further than Hard Rock from Miami. They average about the same amount of fans as Miami. I never see people **** on it the way our stadium situation gets dragged. Maybe it’s the historic nature of the RB, but it’s a tired trope. Hard Rock is electric when there is a good product.

How many Natties has UCLA won while playing in the Rose Bowl?

Advertisement
The OB was built for the Hurricanes, with construction completed in 1937, it was never an NFL stadium, ditto with The Coliseum.
The NFL didn't exist in Miami in the 30s, so it couldn't have been built for a pro team. That said, we shared it with a pro team for decades. Same with the Coliseum in LA. SC shared it with pro teams for decades.
There was a time when stadiums were built to be general purpose stadiums, not just for a specific team at public expense. The Hurricanes and USC were not the first two football teams to play in those stadiums. The Coliseum has hosted the Olympics twice.

It's true, albeit a bit exaggerated. Even if every kid that enrolled in a freshman class graduated from Miami(Which is impossible), we would have around 25,000 new alumni in a decade. UF, if they graduated half of their kids in a class, would have around 75,000 in that same time frame. That is a huge gap in regards to potential donors. Now extrapolate that over 3-4 decades.

The attendance thing is getting old. When Miami is winning the hard rock is jumping . Example ND vs Miami …. That atmosphere was absolutely nuts!! Win and the the whole south Florida will come out ( Miami broward west palm)

Advertisement
The attendance thing is getting old. When Miami is winning the hard rock is jumping . Example ND vs Miami …. That atmosphere was absolutely nuts!! Win and the the whole south Florida will come out ( Miami broward west palm)
Yes, when the team is good, AND Miami is playing another high end team people show up. Outside of that, it's rough. Think about that. Even when Miami is elite you can count on at least 3-4 home games per year to be half full. No college can guarantee that all 7 home games will be against compelling teams.

That's an issue. Miami is competing against programs that get 70,000 people out to watch a scrimmage. The administration has done a disgraceful job of managing the resources that are available, but we can't keep expecting Alabama level success but provide SMU level support, even when things are going well. Fans need to step up and the administration needs to do the right things on a consistent basis.

Miss me with that bs The Athletic. It's not hard to win in the ACC. We invest more in our program than 90% of the other ACC programs. Our infrastructure is Tier 2 compared to the rest of the country (Tier 1 = Bama, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, etc).

A competent coach will:
  • Consistently recruit within top 15 nationally.
    • Eventually break through after putting together a string of great seasons and thereon recruit within top 10 nationally.
  • Develop some (not all) of the aforementioned talent but the overall trend in development is up and to the right.
  • Hire positional coaches that are well respected and go on to get hired for promotions at other programs
    • Our DB/DL/LB/WR/QB coaches should honestly feed into DC/OC roles at the FAUs, FIUs, USFs, of the world.
  • Win the games they should win and compete in games that we should probably lose.
    • Every once in a while they lose a head scratcher...that's okay...as long as they...
  • Average 9+ wins over the first 3 years and 10+ wins throughout tenure (including bowl games)
  • Consistently win the Coastal. Not every year. But close to it.
The above items are not unrealistic expectations. This is not pie in the sky stuff. We already recruiting at that level. Manny has done a decent job of hiring some well respected names (I know I know Enos sucked, Lashlee has been underwhelming but you can't argue that at the time they weren't hot commodity's and that the TRob, TWill hires were awful).

We just can't win games and that starts with those at the top. Notice how I don't even say win the ACC. Or make the playoffs. Yes, I'd love that but for where we're at right now that just won't happen. Give me consistency year in and year out and Hard Rock will actually be viewed as a huge advantage.

Advertisement
At this point I feel like everyone is simply regurgitating the same diatribe:

- Miami's stadium is used for Super Bowls, CFB Playoff games, et al. Place was absolutely rocking in '17 and some have said may be even louder than the OB at peak decibal.
- Miami has a brand new indoor facility/locker room. Facilities aren't the issue.
- Miami was winning national championships when our weight room was a shoe box and we played in a dilapidated stadium. The national media seems to conveniently forget that the OB was often empty for the majority of those games

There was a time when stadiums were built to be general purpose stadiums, not just for a specific team at public expense. The Hurricanes and USC were not the first two football teams to play in those stadiums. The Coliseum has hosted the Olympics twice.

The OB was built for the Hurricanes, even though the first football game that was played in it was a HS game. And The Coliseum may have started as a multipurpose stadium, but USC has been playing there since the beginning (1923). Pro teams were just visitors to those stadiums. Just goes to show that CFB was big business even back then, also goes to show that our administrations never had foresight when it comes to CFB.

For big games yes. For others, not so much

Advertisement
Back