HA! Eat that NCAA!!

so proctor & Gamble wouldn't throw money at Trevor Lawrence to be a pitch man for head and shoulders?
The number #1 pick in the NFL draft is going to get national interest if his agent has a pulse especially a recognizable kid like Lawrence. How about the tenth kid in the draft? Chase Young #2 in 2020 just did a local car commercial recently here in the DMV. That runs sometime during a Caps or Wiz game on NBC Sports DC. Huge audience...lol.

Advertisement
Are you ******* kidding me? You are trying to compare the endorsement abilities of Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams as professionals to...Devonta Smith and Trevor Lawrence as college athletes?

This isn't happening, is it? Are people honestly this dense?

And let's not even get started down the pathway of...why...say...Trevor Lawrence...might be a lot more recognizable than...say...Devonta Smith...

Look, you are completely ignoring the cumulative and repetitious impact of multiple ongoing commercial endorsements on the recognition (and eventual earning power) of athletes such as Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams. Neither one of them was paid, in Year 1 of their pro careers, what they were paid at the end of their careers. Neither one of them had the recognition as rookies that they had as veterans.

But, yeah, you honestly think that putting Devonta Smith on a billboard in Illinois will drive purchasing decisions due to his recognition and fame? Or that a major corporation would pay to do so?

What a joke.

Trevor Lawrence is a rare exception. He's more whitely-known.
I disagree. If you are a college football fan, you are going to know who most of the big name players are. I still disagree the market has much to do with it. You can put a billboard with Dee Wiggins in street clothes up on the side of the palmetto, and 99% of people will not even know who that is. Likewise you can probably put up a billboard in Birmingham of some obscure 2nd string Bama player, and probably 50% of the people will actually know who that is.

I just ask that I be explained to why this logic is wrong.

Bagmen are still going to bagmen. Pretty much what DTP said is the best we can hope for with all this:
It doesn't necessarily even the playing field. Baggers gonna bag but it does give a school like Miami a shot with certain kids they might never have had a chance with. Let's say a kid really likes Miami but he's desperate for cash or his family is broke. At least with NIL endorsements, he'll be able to secure some kind of income stream and not be 100% reliant on the bag. Like I said, the biggest guys are still going to catch the biggest fish but it makes things a little easier for the rest of the world.

Yeah, it takes time to build one's endorsement earning power, particularly a game like football where you wear a helmet. Just because we know what Devonta Smith looks like doesn't mean that everyone does.

****, look at Eli Manning. He is RETIRED and probably making more money now for endorsing that hot sauce. But where was that deal when he was a rookie? AND HE'S A MANNING.
Exactly. Michael or Lebron or Serena had to build national brands.

I disagree. If you are a college football fan, you are going to know who most of the big name players are. I still disagree the market has much to do with it. You can put a billboard with Dee Wiggins in street clothes up on the side of the palmetto, and 99% of people will not even know who that is. Likewise you can probably put up a billboard in Birmingham of some obscure 2nd string Bama player, and probably 50% of the people will actually know who that is.

Bagmen are still going to bagmen. Pretty much what DTP said is the best we can hope for with all this:

You are delusional. "50% of people in Birmingham" do not recognize obscure second stringers, nor would they buy anything based on such an endorsement. Good lord, the other night on Jeopardy, all three contestants couldn't even recognize Dave Chappelle.

More importantly, no company would pay money to an obscure second stringer to be on a billboard ad in Birmingham.

Advertisement
Let’s say a company in Miami with its head quarters in Europe wants to enter the college football market and market then all the way to the nfl.
I understand that but for everyday “ payments” it just seems to me that when you have a 100,000 alumni with hands out versus 10-15,000 you have a better chance of making more money from the normal type things like jersey sales or signings etc than the occasional type thing you refer to that may happen with one player every couple years..If you have a signing at Bama how many people you think are going to show up when the school advertises “ let’s help of guys on Saturday.Stop by and get your things signed for 25-50 bucks.”
That line is gonna have waaaaaaaaay more people in it with that 25-50 bucks than there would be if you had a signing at the Dadeland Mall ( is that even open anymore..lol) for our guys.

like I said I’m looking at pure numbers here with alumni willing to spend 100-200 bucks with say 20-25 players aided by a top booster willing to spend a 1000 bucks on those same 25 players than I am say some corporate company willing to market one particular player every couple years.

it just looks like the only way it helps a school like Miami is that all the players will be able to make SOME money as opposed to a player at a school with 100,000+ alumni being able to make 10 times that just out of sheer numbers of hands being stuck out .

that’s all I’m saying.

Wouldn't any national law just make it easier for the big bag schools? One of the NIL advantages for us is that Florida is one of if not the only state to pass such a law, right? I mean absolutely **** the NCAA, but if there's a national law won't it essentially legalize the bag game for Bama, UGA, L$U etc?
That's what I fear. Corporations aligning with schools, pumping money to recruits to sign with those schools. It could potentially end up being a bidding war. But what do I know...

Advertisement
I understand that but for everyday “ payments” it just seems to me that when you have a 100,000 alumni with hands out versus 10-15,000 you have a better chance of making more money from the normal type things like jersey sales or signings etc than the occasional type thing you refer to that may happen with one player every couple years..If you have a signing at Bama how many people you think are going to show up when the school advertises “ let’s help of guys on Saturday.Stop by and get your things signed for 25-50 bucks.”
That line is gonna have waaaaaaaaay more people in it with that 25-50 bucks than there would be if you had a signing at the Dadeland Mall ( is that even open anymore..lol) for our guys.

like I said I’m looking at pure numbers here with alumni willing to spend 100-200 bucks with say 20-25 players aided by a top booster willing to spend a 1000 bucks on those same 25 players than I am say some corporate company willing to market one particular player every couple years.

it just looks like the only way it helps a school like Miami is that all the players will be able to make SOME money as opposed to a player at a school with 100,000+ alumni being able to make 10 times that just out of sheer numbers of hands being stuck out .

that’s all I’m saying.

I actually think that the "autograph-signing" is a hilarious example.

One of two things can happen.

First, a player can "agree" to go to an autograph signing that is organized by a third party, such as a memorabilia store. This type of arrangement will need to be approved in advance. Therefore, if the market rate for such an event is that the organizer pays the signer $5 for every autograph for which the organizer collects a fee, then it doesn't matter if a booster offers to pay the organizer an extra $100, the player would still be limited to the market rate. As in EVERY SITUATION, if someone really wants to slide the kid an extra $100, nothing will stop that process, and you certainly don't need to set up a sham autograph signing to give an athlete illegal money.

Second, a player could set up HIS OWN autograph signing (which would also need to be approved in advance). But now, let's say the kid wants to sign for $500 a pop. Yes, boosters could agree to pay, but the line for autographs would be short. And obvious. And it would likely be a violation of the NCAA's fair market value policies if someone did so. Again, if the entire goal is to pay a player illegally, there are easier, more direct, and far less sham-like ways to do so.

That's what I fear. Corporations aligning with schools, pumping money to recruits to sign with those schools. It could potentially end up being a bidding war. But what do I know...

Nike already owns Oregon. If only we could figure out a way for a member of the Dassler family to go to UM.

If you are willing to take $200k why not $500k? There are no guarantees once hit campus. If you don't think you aren't big man in the state of Alabama playing for the Crimson Tide, then you've never been to Birmingham or Opeilaka or Dothan or Tuscaloosa. There are more Gator alums in Dade and Broward then Miami alums.
You’re describing the bag chasing type. Also hard to get those endorsements when there’s older talent ahead of you and always the shiny new toy right behind you.

Don’t know what being an alum has to do with anything, you don’t have to be an alum to be a fan lol. No one bandwagons FSU or UF, UM is a national brand, especially when hot.

Advertisement

First, a player can "agree" to go to an autograph signing that is organized by a third party, such as a memorabilia store. This type of arrangement will need to be approved in advance. Therefore, if the market rate for such an event is that the organizer pays the signer $5 for every autograph for which the organizer collects a fee, then it doesn't matter if a booster offers to pay the organizer an extra $100, the player would still be limited to the market rate. As in EVERY SITUATION, if someone really wants to slide the kid an extra $100, nothing will stop that process, and you certainly don't need to set up a sham autograph signing to give an athlete illegal money.

Second, a player could set up HIS OWN autograph signing (which would also need to be approved in advance). But now, let's say the kid wants to sign for $500 a pop. Yes, boosters could agree to pay, but the line for autographs would be short. And obvious. And it would likely be a violation of the NCAA's fair market value policies if someone did so. Again, if the entire goal is to pay a player illegally, there are easier, more direct, and far less sham-like ways to do so.
But a fundamental question is who sets the fair market intrinsic value of an autograph? How about the secondary market? Can a kid participate monetarily in the secondary market?

I lived in the Little Rock area for a few years, which is about 3 hours from Fayetteville. I was grabbing dinner at a Chili's one night in Conway, and Peyton Hillis happened to walk in with his family. This was during his UA days well before he was on the cover of Madden, while he was playing fullback because Arkansas had Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in the backfield too. I think he may have been a sophomore, maybe a junior at the time. That poor son of a ***** spent at least an hour signing autographs on ******* Chili's coasters and taking pictures with fans before he got to sit down and eat with his family. This was before social media had really blown up too. No Twitter or Instagram, I think Facebook was still being used mostly by college students. But people (mostly wipipo) were calling their friends to tell them Peyton Hillis was at Chili's in Conway and they stopped whatever cow-tipping games they were playing and headed to Chili's for an autograph.

Now that's just one-piece of anecdotal evidence, doesn't prove anything. But I'm telling you if you drive through any po-dunk town in Arkansas and took note of the first 10 cars you drive by, I'd bet at least 5 of them have a stupid Razorback sticker in the middle of their license plate. Don't underestimate how rabid some of these fans are in SEC country. A lot of people here may despise them but they can make money and spend it all the same and they don't have the Phins, Heat, Panthers or Marlins competing for it.

Advertisement

But what if the player sets up his own signing day and it gets approved and charges say 25 bucks which is a normal signing fee most times and not 50o bucks which is stupid and would never be attempted.You went from one extreme to another.
And if this is being done as a way to pay the players they are going to get more than 5 of the 25 even if they are signing for someone else.The school and/or staff will make sure of that.

I’m just using hypotheticals regarding the sheer number of people that an OSU or a Mich or a Bama or most any state school for that matter can bring to the table no matter if the activity is a bake sale, washing cars or any other form of cash endeavor the athlete my use to make money on himself where the player gets a dollar for every cupcake sold or 5 bucks for each car.There’s still gonna be A LOT more people buy those cupcakes or get their car washed than there would be at the same bake sale or car wash in Miami..

This new law will help our players to make money but anyone thinking this is gonna even the playing field money wise between us and those type schools is living in a dream world.

You’re describing the bag chasing type. Also hard to get those endorsements when there’s older talent ahead of you and always the shiny new toy right behind you.

Don’t know what being an alum has to do with anything, you don’t have to be an alum to be a fan lol. No one bandwagons FSU or UF, UM is a national brand, especially when hot.
Alum base doesn't matter? Florida has around 450k living alum. Miami has 193k. As I said earlier, I paid Hurricane Club $250 dollars for right to purchase 2 club seats. The equivalent at Florida would be $1,250. It is what the market will bear. LoL, there are more Gator alum in Dade and Broward than Miami alum and probably just as many fans.

As I said before Miami was a national brand in football 20 years ago. Maybe it will again be some day. You don't think Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or Notre Dame are national brands? FSU most certainly was a national brand when Bowden was running the program.

We may benefit, but the rich are going to benefit more.

Advertisement
Back