HA! Eat that NCAA!!

I don't understand why this type of law doesn't end up benefitting the schools with the biggest budgets and bag games.

It's now easy for boosters to buy $100 t shirts. Miami ain't winning that game.

I happen to think the NCAA rules are a joke and support changing them. I just don't see how it really helps Miami. Maybe it makes it easier to keep a few big fish local. Can see that I guess. But on average, Alabama kids will see their 'salaries' go up, I'd guess.
I have 2 seats in club section. I am required to pay $250 to the Hurricane Club. At Florida those same two seats would require me to pay at least $1,250 to their booster club. I guarantee you Florida non-student season ticket holders are almost all alums. Miami it is the opposite. You think Miami could get away with that type of booster contribution? I say no f'ing way. This delusion denying the rich aren't getting richer is pretty ridiculous.

Advertisement
I have 2 seats in club section. I am required to pay $250 to the Hurricane Club. At Florida those same two seats would require me to pay at least $1,250 to their booster club. I guarantee you Florida non-student season ticket holders are almost all alums. Miami it is the opposite. You think Miami could get away with that type of booster contribution? I say no f'ing way. This delusion denying the rich aren't getting richer is pretty ridiculous.
I'm with you. What this does is make the booster graft into something legit. It might make it easier for some kids to take the bag, frankly, becaues now it's legal.

Why are you guys so dead set on the area market being where the money comes from?

So when Nike and UA and gatorade want to do a player endoresment, they're going to pick the best players. The Trever Lawrences, the Devonta Smiths. You're essentially saying that right now Nike will only do endorsements for Oregon players, so on and so forth. That doens't make sense to me.

Again, take billboards. Sure, Devonta can probably be a valuable billboard ad guy in Tuscaloosa. But outside of Alabama, what is the value of some random 20 year old kid who wears a helmet, and is thus unrecognizable to most people who don't obsessively follow Alabama football? And the value of paying Devonta to be on billboards all over Tuscaloosa...is far less than $100K.
Are you saying that people around the country don't know who Devonta Smith or T Lawrence was? Again, I'm confused at this logic. We used to see commercials with Kobe Bryant in it across the US. Even stuff with female tennis players, like Serena Williams. What exactly does the area market have to do with player endorsements?
We already know the SEC boosters take things very seriously. So that aspect I don't see changing at all.

Because a 5 star player can command more money through bags than he will ever make selling his likeness as a college athlete. We're literally talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars. Guys getting $200k+ cash, parents getting "jobs" outside the university that pay 6 figure salaries. Homes, cars, huge money. Most pro football players can't command endorsement money like that, let alone college football players.
so proctor & Gamble wouldn't throw money at Trevor Lawrence to be a pitch man for head and shoulders?

Let me ask the question this way, as of now how much MORE is the bag game at UGA and BAMA, than here best guess? because I'd be curious to see if after NIL if kids would be more likely to stick with Miami cause they got closer to what BAMA offered pre NIL

It will be hard to tell. Some of it may be a factor of how "lazy" a kid is. Might a kid take $250K to go to an SEC school that pays him just for signing, or does he go to Miami where he might make $400K over 4 years but he has to establish his own side-hustle? Who knows.

But Dee just posted that Radley-Hiles got $100K and use of a condo to go to Oklahoma. We know that Jason Marshall was paid over $200K to go be a Gaytor. I definitely think some kids could make comparable money in Miami (particularly a kid like Marshall who is FROM Miami), but the money is not guaranteed, they have to make an effort to go out and get it.

The truly big difference is that once you go pro, you can enter into deals with agents and managers that give them a percentage of all your endorsements, so you can have a full-time team out there chasing down deals. College athletes have more constraints on their time and resources.

Advertisement
It will not help when it comes to the bag chasers. Those guys will always look for their biggest pay day.

Where I see it helping is with recruits like Tyrique Stevenson, who allegedly went to other places to support their family. Now it’s feasible here, and legally I might add which I’m sure would appeal to people.

In addition to that, local blue-chips will have a natural market here which could make it easier to hit the ground running, as opposed to being one of the 75 blue-chip recruits in Tuscaloosa.
If you are willing to take $200k why not $500k? There are no guarantees once hit campus. If you don't think you aren't big man in the state of Alabama playing for the Crimson Tide, then you've never been to Birmingham or Opeilaka or Dothan or Tuscaloosa. There are more Gator alums in Dade and Broward then Miami alums.

That may be true for basketball which has a global following but that is for the NBA. The one and done kids are only in college because the NBA requires them to do a year.

I get licensing but who sets the fair market value for Devonta Smith's autographed jersey? LoL
Miami is a global city. Not many in the country ca say that.

I think you're missing the point. It would be a money game not a bag game. Marketing opportunities are more available here than Tuscaloosa Gainesville or Tallahassee. Even if Nike schools put their athletes in Nike commercials Miami still has the upper hand

How many kids at UM would truly get these deals with the school being in a pro sports town? My guess, very few.

Schools like Bama, Clemson etc etc will absolutely crush Miami if this gets passed.
You guys are over shooting the impact for Miami.

Advertisement
I'm with you. What this does is make the booster graft into something legit. It might make it easier for some kids to take the bag, frankly, becaues now it's legal.
It certainly ups the going rate. Makes it now guaranteed money. You think Nick Saban isn't tell kids they are going to be well compensated legally because the Tide nation is very generous and loves their football?

Nobody gives a **** about Miami other than the loyal 40 to 50K fans who show up on Saturdays. It's national brand average age of fan is near decease like me longing for 2001 and those folks are less and less every year.

Why are you guys so dead set on the area market being where the money comes from?

So when Nike and UA and gatorade want to do a player endoresment, they're going to pick the best players. The Trever Lawrences, the Devonta Smiths. You're essentially saying that right now Nike will only do endorsements for Oregon players, so on and so forth. That doens't make sense to me.

Are you saying that people around the country don't know who Devonta Smith or T Lawrence was? Again, I'm confused at this logic. We used to see commercials with Kobe Bryant in it across the US. Even stuff with female tennis players, like Serena Williams. What exactly does the area market have to do with player endorsements?
We already know the SEC boosters take things very seriously. So that aspect I don't see changing at all.

Are you ******* kidding me? You are trying to compare the endorsement abilities of Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams as professionals to...Devonta Smith and Trevor Lawrence as college athletes?

This isn't happening, is it? Are people honestly this dense?

And let's not even get started down the pathway of...why...say...Trevor Lawrence...might be a lot more recognizable than...say...Devonta Smith...

Look, you are completely ignoring the cumulative and repetitious impact of multiple ongoing commercial endorsements on the recognition (and eventual earning power) of athletes such as Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams. Neither one of them was paid, in Year 1 of their pro careers, what they were paid at the end of their careers. Neither one of them had the recognition as rookies that they had as veterans.

But, yeah, you honestly think that putting Devonta Smith on a billboard in Illinois will drive purchasing decisions due to his recognition and fame? Or that a major corporation would pay to do so?

What a joke.

Trevor Lawrence is a rare exception. He's more whitely-known.

I’ll just pose this question cause I’m not completely sure what money making opportunities will be allowed but wouldn’t a school like let’s say a Bama or Fla with a booster pool of hundreds of thousands still be able to come up with more money than a Miami would.
Let’s use a signing and let’s say it’s 50 bucks for a signature.
Whose gonna have more fans in line to get those autographs A Bama/UFAG or Miami.
Same thing with jersey sales.whose to stop a booster from buying 100/200 of them ?
To me all this does is put all the payments out in the open.

can someone explain

thanks
Let’s say a company in Miami with its head quarters in Europe wants to enter the college football market and market then all the way to the nfl.

Advertisement
First can’t wait till July and we get to take advantage of the NIL rule and now this! Get it done.
We’re going to start truly competing with Bama for the elites!

Very naive take.

Are you ******* kidding me? You are trying to compare the endorsement abilities of Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams as professionals to...Devonta Smith and Trevor Lawrence as college athletes?

This isn't happening, is it? Are people honestly this dense?

And let's not even get started down the pathway of...why...say...Trevor Lawrence...might be a lot more recognizable than...say...Devonta Smith...

Look, you are completely ignoring the cumulative and repetitious impact of multiple ongoing commercial endorsements on the recognition (and eventual earning power) of athletes such as Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams. Neither one of them was paid, in Year 1 of their pro careers, what they were paid at the end of their careers. Neither one of them had the recognition as rookies that they had as veterans.

But, yeah, you honestly think that putting Devonta Smith on a billboard in Illinois will drive purchasing decisions due to his recognition and fame? Or that a major corporation would pay to do so?

What a joke.

Trevor Lawrence is a rare exception. He's more whitely-known.
How many rookies get national deals other than Saquan Barkley?

Maybe D'eriq King gets a tv gig for the local pawn shop? Maybe you see him in a Williamson Cadillac ad in the game day program. I guarantee you Najee Harris or Matt Jones or Devonta Smith is going to be plastered all over Alabama. Only game in town. D'eriq has to compete with Tua...lol. Good luck with that.

Advertisement
How many rookies get national deals other than Saquan Barkley?

Maybe D'eriq King gets a tv gig for the local pawn shop? Maybe you see him in a Williamson Cadillac ad in the game day program. I guarantee you Najee Harris or Matt Jones or Devonta Smith is going to be plastered all over Alabama. Only game in town. D'eriq has to compete with Tua...lol. Good luck with that.

Yeah, it takes time to build one's endorsement earning power, particularly a game like football where you wear a helmet. Just because we know what Devonta Smith looks like doesn't mean that everyone does.

****, look at Eli Manning. He is RETIRED and probably making more money now for endorsing that hot sauce. But where was that deal when he was a rookie? AND HE'S A MANNING.

Advertisement
Back