HA! Eat that NCAA!!

A "fashion brand"? On what basis?

Look, to the extent that Devonta has ANY VALUE to a "fashion brand", it is due to the last year of his on-field performance. And now he is going pro, and he is welcome to sign with any "fashion brand" he wants to sign with.

We need to be honest. NONE of these kids have any value to a "fashion brand". Except, maybe, "352 Gaytor Nation Fashion Brand", or any other number of thinly-disguised companies that will be set up in SEC country to funnel money to athletes.
As a Jr. first round hopeful? I'm betting they would.

Advertisement
A "fashion brand"? On what basis?

Look, to the extent that Devonta has ANY VALUE to a "fashion brand", it is due to the last year of his on-field performance. And now he is going pro, and he is welcome to sign with any "fashion brand" he wants to sign with.

We need to be honest. NONE of these kids have any value to a "fashion brand". Except, maybe, "352 Gaytor Nation Fashion Brand", or any other number of thinly-disguised companies that will be set up in SEC country to funnel money to athletes.
Oh and the garment company out of Athens, GA will take interest in Georgia Bulldog stars. LoL

Non MLB sports team have salary caps and I'm pretty sure most are aware that endorsements can be a way to bypass salary cap restrictions. I think college football would need to strictly monitor how these endorsement deals are being done and ensure there are no links to the team or school.

IMO the only way this works is if the NCAA says, "OK, you can get paid through endorsements but the penalty of getting those endorsements through the school is extremely severe for the school, the coach, and the player". I don't trust the NCAA to actually enforce that but it's the only way it can work. I would personally require all students who want to get paid to release financial information to the NCAA and allow for audits. I would also ban coaches who get caught for X number of years and come down extremely hard on schools.

The NBA has also been vigilant in ensuring that players and owners avoid intermingling their business interests. In 2012, the league informed Boston Celtics forward Kevin Garnett that he could not purchase equity in the Italian soccer team AS Roma. The reason: AS Roma’s principal owner, James Pallotta, owned a piece of the Celtics. Although the connection between Garnett’s prospective ownership in an Italian soccer team and his employment with the Celtics would have seemed incidental, the NBA wanted to avoid any possibility that Garnett could be compensated by the Celtics—or by any of its owners—outside of his NBA contract.

The Garnett example leads to a second relevant clause in the CBA. Article XIII forbids owners from attempting to circumvent the CBA by (among other things) compensating a player for his basketball services in ways apart from the player’s NBA contract. To that end, Article XIII expressly prohibits any unauthorized agreements between teams and players. This prohibition is designed to prevent conflicts of interest and also prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap.

Advertisement
As a Jr. first round hopeful? I'm betting they would.

Uhhhh...no.

I'm not talking about Jim-Bob's T-Shirt Hut, they can probably print a million t-shirts of a Gaytor throwing a shoe before you can blink an eye.

But "fashion" companies require a lot more lead time and contractual arrangements. And, again, until Devonta was actually in contention for the Heisman, nobody outside of Tuscaloosa would have wanted to purchase "fashion" clothing simply because it was designed or endorsed by Devonta. Just be honest.

Everyone is a "junior first round hopeful". And those hopes can be destroyed in one injury. You honestly believe that a "fashion" company is going to invest a ton of money in a "fashion" line while a kid is in college and has no real notoriety outside of his college town? Come on, now.

****, even take a look at situations that go bad with professional players. How is adidas doing with Derrick Rose?

I just think that this fantasy of a "fashion" company wanting to go into business with a college junior (not named Olivia Jade) is ridiculous.

Uhhhh...no.

I'm not talking about Jim-Bob's T-Shirt Hut, they can probably print a million t-shirts of a Gaytor throwing a shoe before you can blink an eye.

But "fashion" companies require a lot more lead time and contractual arrangements. And, again, until Devonta was actually in contention for the Heisman, nobody outside of Tuscaloosa would have wanted to purchase "fashion" clothing simply because it was designed or endorsed by Devonta. Just be honest.

Everyone is a "junior first round hopeful". And those hopes can be destroyed in one injury. You honestly believe that a "fashion" company is going to invest a ton of money in a "fashion" line while a kid is in college and has no real notoriety outside of his college town? Come on, now.

****, even take a look at situations that go bad with professional players. How is adidas doing with Derrick Rose?

I just think that this fantasy of a "fashion" company wanting to go into business with a college junior (not named Olivia Jade) is ridiculous.
Im not talking fashion line LOL I'mean billboards and online ads

Advertisement
I don't understand why this type of law doesn't end up benefitting the schools with the biggest budgets and bag games.

It's now easy for boosters to buy $100 t shirts. Miami ain't winning that game.

I happen to think the NCAA rules are a joke and support changing them. I just don't see how it really helps Miami. Maybe it makes it easier to keep a few big fish local. Can see that I guess. But on average, Alabama kids will see their 'salaries' go up, I'd guess.

Im not talking fashion line LOL I'mean billboards and online ads

For what?

Again, the proposed NCAA rules would allow student-athletes to be compensated at fair market value.

What's the value of "billboards" or "online ads"? Maybe 100K is fair. Probably 1M is a bunch of bullsh!te and just a transparent effort by SEC boosters to funnel money to their players.

For what?

Again, the proposed NCAA rules would allow student-athletes to be compensated at fair market value.

What's the value of "billboards" or "online ads"? Maybe 100K is fair. Probably 1M is a bunch of bullsh!te and just a transparent effort by SEC boosters to funnel money to their players.
I was thinking 6 figures yeah.

Nope. Cause if we’re talking the same money it’s where you want to live and spend your money.
I’ll just pose this question cause I’m not completely sure what money making opportunities will be allowed but wouldn’t a school like let’s say a Bama or Fla with a booster pool of hundreds of thousands still be able to come up with more money than a Miami would.
Let’s use a signing and let’s say it’s 50 bucks for a signature.
Whose gonna have more fans in line to get those autographs A Bama/UFAG or Miami.
Same thing with jersey sales.whose to stop a booster from buying 100/200 of them ?
To me all this does is put all the payments out in the open.

can someone explain

thanks

Advertisement
I was thinking 6 figures yeah.

At the FAR OUTSIDE. More deals will be for a few thousand dollars.

I think we all tend to assume that people who are famous or well-known or who model can suddenly command these massive salaries that we can only dream of. Not true.

Again, take billboards. Sure, Devonta can probably be a valuable billboard ad guy in Tuscaloosa. But outside of Alabama, what is the value of some random 20 year old kid who wears a helmet, and is thus unrecognizable to most people who don't obsessively follow Alabama football? And the value of paying Devonta to be on billboards all over Tuscaloosa...is far less than $100K.

Now, online ads could conceivably bring in a bit more. There is no geographic limitation. But, again, think about all the times that YOU have been influenced in your purchasing decision by some spokesperson in an online ad. I'm guessing that's "not a lot". Again, nothing worth paying a college junior "six figures" to do.

That's all. Maybe when you add up ALL of the opportunities, a kid could earn six figures. But that would have to be one helluva hustle, and don't forget he has to go to practices and classes too. And don't forget about accounting for your income and filing your tax returns.

I think there will be some natural limitations on how much any student-athlete can earn. That's why those of us who can see how easily an "unlimited" system could be perverted do not want to allow situations where a student-athlete can "miraculously" earn millions by passively allowing a ton of people to "generously" pay for his NIL rights.

I think we all tend to assume that people who are famous or well-known or who model can suddenly command these massive salaries that we can only dream of. Not true.

Again, take billboards. Sure, Devonta can probably be a valuable billboard ad guy in Tuscaloosa. But outside of Alabama, what is the value of some random 20 year old kid who wears a helmet, and is thus unrecognizable to most people who don't obsessively follow Alabama football? And the value of paying Devonta to be on billboards all over Tuscaloosa...is far less than $100K.

Now, online ads could conceivably bring in a bit more. There is no geographic limitation. But, again, think about all the times that YOU have been influenced in your purchasing decision by some spokesperson in an online ad. I'm guessing that's "not a lot". Again, nothing worth paying a college junior "six figures" to do.

That's all. Maybe when you add up ALL of the opportunities, a kid could earn six figures. But that would have to be one helluva hustle, and don't forget he has to go to practices and classes too. And don't forget about accounting for your income and filing your tax returns.

I think there will be some natural limitations on how much any student-athlete can earn. That's why those of us who can see how easily an "unlimited" system could be perverted do not want to allow situations where a student-athlete can "miraculously" earn millions by passively allowing a ton of people to "generously" pay for his NIL rights.
Well no I Don't assume frank gore circa 2004 commanded millions of dollars in advertisement. but guys who got nothing from us before would be more incentivized to sign with Miami

I think you're missing the point. It would be a money game not a bag game. Marketing opportunities are more available here than Tuscaloosa Gainesville or Tallahassee. Even if Nike schools put their athletes in Nike commercials Miami still has the upper hand
No I get that, and I'm on board with all athletes getting paid. I just think maybe we're underestimating how deep and dirty some of the pockets are in the SEC. You're right most of those college town markets don't hold a candle to Miami, but college football is a cult-like religion in those towns AND much of their respective states, and frankly it's just not in Miami. To boot, there are more major-pro sports franchises in Miami than Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas and Kentucky combined. Point being college athletics tends to be king in those states, not just the tiny college towns where the school resides.

I hope I'm wrong and we can take advantage of the NIL in Florida for as long as possible before a national bill passes, I just don't think a national NIL law levels the playing field as much as some think it may.

Advertisement
Well no I Don't assume frank gore circa 2004 commanded millions of dollars in advertisement. but guys who got nothing from us before would be more incentivized to sign with Miami

True. I'm not trying to stop the process, but I'm fine with not going "unlimited".

Throwing around the word "unlimited" is like waving a red cape in front of a bull.

Let me ask the question this way, as of now how much MORE is the bag game at UGA and BAMA, than here best guess? because I'd be curious to see if after NIL if kids would be more likely to stick with Miami cause they got closer to what BAMA offered pre NIL

I don't see how that stays the same. the "bag" would no longer be in certain markets. money would be everywhere.
Because a 5 star player can command more money through bags than he will ever make selling his likeness as a college athlete. We're literally talking about hundreds of thousands of dollars. Guys getting $200k+ cash, parents getting "jobs" outside the university that pay 6 figure salaries. Homes, cars, huge money. Most pro football players can't command endorsement money like that, let alone college football players.

I don't understand why this type of law doesn't end up benefitting the schools with the biggest budgets and bag games.

It's now easy for boosters to buy $100 t shirts. Miami ain't winning that game.

I happen to think the NCAA rules are a joke and support changing them. I just don't see how it really helps Miami. Maybe it makes it easier to keep a few big fish local. Can see that I guess. But on average, Alabama kids will see their 'salaries' go up, I'd guess.
It will not help when it comes to the bag chasers. Those guys will always look for their biggest pay day.

Where I see it helping is with recruits like Tyrique Stevenson, who allegedly went to other places to support their family. Now it’s feasible here, and legally I might add which I’m sure would appeal to people.

In addition to that, local blue-chips will have a natural market here which could make it easier to hit the ground running, as opposed to being one of the 75 blue-chip recruits in Tuscaloosa.

Advertisement
Back