HA! Eat that NCAA!!

First can’t wait till July and we get to take advantage of the NIL rule and now this! Get it done.
We’re going to start truly competing with Bama for the elites!

Advertisement
Wouldn't any national law just make it easier for the big bag schools? One of the NIL advantages for us is that Florida is one of if not the only state to pass such a law, right? I mean absolutely **** the NCAA, but if there's a national law won't it essentially legalize the bag game for Bama, UGA, L$U etc?

Wouldn't any national law just make it easier for the big bag schools? One of the NIL advantages for us is that Florida is one of if not the only state to pass such a law, right? I mean absolutely **** the NCAA, but if there's a national law won't it essentially legalize the bag game for Bama, UGA, L$U etc?
Imo wouldn’t matter. We’d be able to match with the NIL. It’s an easy sell hey Elite 5 star player want to earn big time money and live in Tuscolusa or Miami? Lol

First can’t wait till July and we get to take advantage of the NIL rule and now this! Get it done.

I think this is good, I believe college athletes need to be compensated for likeness. I get the challenges with a blanket approach as a football player at Bama likely brings more revenue than one at Alcorn State and that the football team at Miami likely generates more revenue that woman's field hockey, so I think likeness is a start.

However how does this close the gap on us competing with Bama for the elites? I get players can now come here and make money to help offset the Bama bag and that marketing in a big city such as Miami is better than some BFE college town, but does this also not just allow Bama to have a booster "legally" buy 10,000 jerseys or some **** and compensate the player? Am I missing something?

Advertisement
I think you're missing the point. It would be a money game not a bag game. Marketing opportunities are more available here than Tuscaloosa Gainesville or Tallahassee. Even if Nike schools put their athletes in Nike commercials Miami still has the upper hand

"The new bill also specifically prohibits the NCAA or conferences from doing anything that would prevent athletes from organizing under collective representation to sell their licensing rights as a group. This type of group licensing is typically needed to bargain for media rights, jersey sales and items like video games, such as the college football video game that EA Sports announced its plan to revive earlier this week." that will be tricky.

I think you're missing the point. It would be a money game not a bag game. Marketing opportunities are more available here than Tuscaloosa Gainesville or Tallahassee. Even if Nike schools put their athletes in Nike commercials Miami still has the upper hand
Correct. The brand of a player from Miami would be seen all over the world. Out of Athens Georgia? Not so much

Advertisement
It doesn't necessarily even the playing field. Baggers gonna bag but it does give a school like Miami a shot with certain kids they might never have had a chance with. Let's say a kid really likes Miami but he's desperate for cash or his family is broke. At least with NIL endorsements, he'll be able to secure some kind of income stream and not be 100% reliant on the bag. Like I said, the biggest guys are still going to catch the biggest fish but it makes things a little easier for the rest of the world.

It doesn't necessarily even the playing field. Baggers gonna bag but it does give a school like Miami a shot with certain kids they might never have had a chance with. Let's say a kid really likes Miami but he's desperate for cash or his family is broke. At least with NIL endorsements, he'll be able to secure some kind of income stream and not be 100% reliant on the bag. Like I said, the biggest guys are still going to catch the biggest fish but it makes things a little easier for the rest of the world.
I don't see how that stays the same. the "bag" would no longer be in certain markets. money would be everywhere.

You don't think this won't advantage big alumni base programs like Alabama or Florida?

The already have unlimited money so it doesn't make much of a difference to the schools with big alumni bases. It's like giving one billion dollars to someone with 2 billion in their bank account vs giving one billion dollars to someone with one dollar in their bank account. In both cases, it's one billion, but who benefits more? That extra billion doesn't really change the billionaire's quality of life. He's already got everything he wants. On the other hand, it changes everything for the guy with one dollar in his account.

Advertisement
Correct. The brand of a player from Miami would be seen all over the world. Out of Athens Georgia? Not so much
That may be true for basketball which has a global following but that is for the NBA. The one and done kids are only in college because the NBA requires them to do a year.

I get licensing but who sets the fair market value for Devonta Smith's autographed jersey? LoL

That may be true for basketball which has a global following but that is for the NBA. The one and done kids are only in college because the NBA requires them to do a year.

I get licensing but who sets the fair market value for Devonta Smith's jersey? LoL
it's not just about his jersey. If say a fashion brand took interest in him thats a serious pay day.

I understand what they are trying to do. I really get it.

But this bill is coming from two people from Connecticut/Massachusetts. They have no idea how SEC schools will use this as an end-run to flat out pay players.

Unintended consequences. That's all I'm saying.

Put this another way. What 18-22 year old (with some very narrow and rare exceptions) is WORTH anywhere near "unlimited NIL" anyhow? If you say "it's unlimited", then you know the rule will be abused in the SEC. It's just mathematical and logical.

Advertisement
it's not just about his jersey. If say a fashion brand took interest in him thats a serious pay day.

A "fashion brand"? On what basis?

Look, to the extent that Devonta has ANY VALUE to a "fashion brand", it is due to the last year of his on-field performance. And now he is going pro, and he is welcome to sign with any "fashion brand" he wants to sign with.

We need to be honest. NONE of these kids have any value to a "fashion brand". Except, maybe, "352 Gaytor Nation Fashion Brand", or any other number of thinly-disguised companies that will be set up in SEC country to funnel money to athletes.

But this bill is coming from two people from Connecticut/Massachusetts. They have no idea how SEC schools will use this as an end-run to flat out pay players.

Put this another way. What 18-22 year old (with some very narrow and rare exceptions) is WORTH anywhere near "unlimited NIL" anyhow? If you say "it's unlimited", then you know the rule will be abused in the SEC. It's just mathematical and logical.
I get what you're saying but unlimited in this case means the vehicles they use to earn the money. Not the amount per se that's how I understood it

Exactly. Plus, if the bag game is 200k for a 5-star currently, the enticement now goes up. Basic economics because they are not going to get outbid.These guys think Bama or Clemson or Ohio State are not national programs? Being in Tuscaloosa or Clemson or Columbus doesn't mean *****. The rich just got richer.

I get what you're saying but unlimited in this case means the vehicles they use to earn the money. Not the amount per se that's how I understood it

It doesn't matter how YOU understand the word "unlimited" to be used.

It only matters how SEC boosters understand (or misunderstand) the word "unlimited" to be used.

Under the current NCAA proposal, a student-athlete can have an unlimited NUMBER of "vehicles" they use to earn the money. But those "vehicles" have to be approved, and of course that takes time and effort. So there is a practical limitation. But not a numerical limitation.

Advertisement
Back