HA! Eat that NCAA!!

Alum base doesn't matter? Florida has around 450k living alum. Miami has 193k. As I said earlier, I paid Hurricane Club $250 dollars for right to purchase 2 club seats. The equivalent at Florida would be $1,250. It is what the market will bear. LoL, there are more Gator alum in Dade and Broward than Miami alum and probably just as many fans.

As I said before Miami was a national brand in football 20 years ago. Maybe it will again be some day. You don't think Alabama or Clemson or Ohio State or Notre Dame are national brands? FSU most certainly was a national brand when Bowden was running the program.

We may benefit, but the rich are going to benefit more.
Never said alumni base doesn’t matter, it just had no relevance to your earlier point.

If you don’t think Miami is still a national brand that’s your choice. You mentioned youre from DMV correct? If it was someone else then I apologize.

But I go to DC to visit my sister frequently and can’t walk 2 streets without getting hollered at when I’m wearing UM merch.

Clemson, OSU and those schools are the most powerful brands within the football world and their respective community.

UM, on the other hand appeals to the masses. Beyond football. Do you see Udonis Haslem wearing UF stuff to games? Nah you see him wearing a UM bomber.

To reiterate my first comment, this law will not hurt the Bama’s of the world. The bag chasers will always be looking for more and land in Tuscaloosa or Athens. BUT, if it gets local blue chips to stay home more consistently, that benefits UM more than anyone, with the possible exception being USC.

Advertisement
I have a vested interest since I’m already recruiting players for the NIL stuff and want the federal legislation to pass. The U brand carries weight and certainly helps but IMO this helps the large state schools in college towns even more. Football and basketball are king there and just brings the bag game above the table to make it legal. Outside of maybe a star QB, which we have, being in a “big market” won’t make much of a difference when the pro players aren’t even seen on many endorsements around the city. We’ve historically been awful in fan support and donations as it is.

These punters, kickers, offensive lineman, defensive lineman, majority of LB, CB, and Safeties...They will be so excited when their QB, RB, or Wide Receiver is raking in dough while they do the dirty work. I mean talk about team unity!

I will hold my block for let's say $50 I would hate for you to get hit. Hey man he already has a commercial can you throw me the ball?

Never said alumni base doesn’t matter, it just had no relevance to your earlier point.

If you don’t think Miami is still a national brand that’s your choice. You mentioned youre from DMV correct? If it was someone else then I apologize.

But I go to DC to visit my sister frequently and can’t walk 2 streets without getting hollered at when I’m wearing UM merch.

Clemson, OSU and those schools are the most powerful brands within the football world and their respective community.

UM, on the other hand appeals to the masses. Beyond football. Do you see Udonis Haslem wearing UF stuff to games? Nah you see him wearing a UM bomber.

To reiterate my first comment, this law will not hurt the Bama’s of the world. The bag chasers will always be looking for more and land in Tuscaloosa or Athens. BUT, if it gets local blue chips to stay home more consistently, that benefits UM more than anyone, with the possible exception being USC.
As I said before the average age of the Miami fan, non-alum outside the tri-county area is near deceased. Miami has a national name but probably these days because they are showing off South Beach.

Haslem grew up in Miami. He is a big Miami fan. He always roots for his alma mater when it plays Miami. That is a fact.

Last edited:
As a said before the average age of Miami fan, non-alum is near deceased.

Haslem grew up in Miami. He is a big Miami fan. He always roots for his alma mater when it plays Miami. That is a fact.
Youre proving my point. People are Miami fans despite going to other state schools. You don’t have to be an alum. Haslem is just one example, there are many more less famous instances.

And idk how old you are but I have a half dozen friends at FAU alone who root for UM. Not to mention adults can buy merch too 😂

Advertisement
Youre proving my point. People are Miami fans despite going to other state schools. You don’t have to be an alum. Haslem is just one example, there are many more less famous instances.

And idk how old you are but I have a half dozen friends at FAU alone who root for UM. Not to mention adults can buy merch too 😂
I guarantee you they are mostly kids from the tri-county area. My son is a junior at Miami. He dated a gal who was going to FIU. She would go to games with him. She still rooted for FIU when they played Miami. Lots of Tri-County kids who like UM sports.

Again, this doesn't come close to the fan base of big state schools. I am heading to Baton Rouge in 2 weeks for a campus visit. Guarantee you that is a much different feel. You get 5 miles from San Amaro Drive and most folks couldn't name 5 Hurricanes but I bet you would have better success asking for 5 Dolphin names.

The rich will get richer, and the poor will drop out. Soon there will be top-tier schools playing football and the rest will either quit or it will become like a club sport. This is good for a few but there will be less scholarships as the schools will not be playing football. Why compete in a sport that you have no chance that we will get embarrassed in.
While I agree that the current system is Draconian the correction goes too far the sport will collapse

I think you're missing the point. It would be a money game not a bag game. Marketing opportunities are more available here than Tuscaloosa Gainesville or Tallahassee. Even if Nike schools put their athletes in Nike commercials Miami still has the upper hand

How do u figure? B/c it’s “Miami” & the school is in a big market?

Bro; Miami Football don’t even get the love it deserves on its own flagship station.

All this did was give schools w/ unlimited resources & big TV contracts to have open game. Upper hand & Miami are not synonymous.

"If predominantly white coaches and NCAA executives can have unfettered endorsement deals, why shouldn't predominantly black athletes be afforded the same opportunity?"

Game.
Set.
Match.

Advertisement
I guarantee you they are mostly kids from the tri-county area. My son is a junior at Miami. He dated a gal who was going to FIU. She would go to games with him. She still rooted for FIU when they played Miami. Lots of Tri-County kids who like UM sports.

Again, this doesn't come close to the fan base of big state schools. I am heading to Baton Rouge in 2 weeks for a campus visit. Guarantee you that is a much different feel. You get 5 miles from San Amaro Drive and most folks couldn't name 5 Hurricanes but I bet you would have better success asking for 5 Dolphin names.
I’m not disagreeing with many of your points, you just seem to want to change the conversation. Have a good night fam 🤙🏼

Imo wouldn’t matter. We’d be able to match with the NIL. It’s an easy sell hey Elite 5 star player want to earn big time money and live in Tuscolusa or Miami? Lol

U do realize that the NIL is only prosperous when ur team is a powerhouse, correct? I think U’re looking at this from a very homer standpoint vs. what’s going to happen. U’re optimism is refreshing but blinded. No one is going to advertise a guy playing on a mediocre team. Our alumni base is small & per the alumni, those who root for this team who did not attend Miami don’t do a “****” for the program besides bytch & complain.

This new clause will benefit the mega schools where they can openly take care of players & still give other incentives.

"If predominantly white coaches and NCAA executives can have unfettered endorsement deals, why shouldn't predominantly black athletes be afforded the same opportunity?"

Game.
Set.
Match.

In the end the rich will get richer. You think Urban Meyer won't command any salary he wanted if he decided to return to college? What if Saban decided to leave Alabama for say Michigan? They would open up the Brinks truck.

This has nothing to do with equaling the competitive playing field. A 5-star is going to Alabama because he is getting a signing bonus, the NIL will give him a chance to make some nice coin in Tuscaloosa and then probably going first or second day in the draft.

Or our tri-county 5-stars can come to Miami because they may get a Williamson Cadillac gig or a fashion line deal with a European company looking to enter the US college football market. LoL.

Advertisement
But a fundamental question is who sets the fair market intrinsic value of an autograph? How about the secondary market? Can a kid participate monetarily in the secondary market?

Surely you've heard of comps. Comparatives. It's one of the fundamentals of valuation.

The NCAA has already says it will use comparatives and fair market valuation.

Advertisement

Drive through Bama...All Bama or Auburn no pro teams.
Drive through most parts of Georgia...All Dawgs heck you don't even see Falcons flags. West side of Georgia you do get a little more Auburn.

I get Miami being a bigger market but in a lot of these states college football rules and there may be advantages.

I actually think that the "autograph-signing" is a hilarious example.

One of two things can happen.

First, a player can "agree" to go to an autograph signing that is organized by a third party, such as a memorabilia store. This type of arrangement will need to be approved in advance. Therefore, if the market rate for such an event is that the organizer pays the signer $5 for every autograph for which the organizer collects a fee, then it doesn't matter if a booster offers to pay the organizer an extra $100, the player would still be limited to the market rate. As in EVERY SITUATION, if someone really wants to slide the kid an extra $100, nothing will stop that process, and you certainly don't need to set up a sham autograph signing to give an athlete illegal money.

Second, a player could set up HIS OWN autograph signing (which would also need to be approved in advance). But now, let's say the kid wants to sign for $500 a pop. Yes, boosters could agree to pay, but the line for autographs would be short. And obvious. And it would likely be a violation of the NCAA's fair market value policies if someone did so. Again, if the entire goal is to pay a player illegally, there are easier, more direct, and far less sham-like ways to do so.
But using your example, player getting five bucks a signature. How long a line do you think there would be at Bama vs Miami? I would guess 10 to 1. I’m not against players being allowed to make money outside of football. I think it’s long over due and it’s going to happen. I just can’t see how this will help Miami compete with the Large SEC schools. If anything, I think we’ll be left further behind.

But using your example, player getting five bucks a signature. How long a line do you think there would be at Bama vs Miami? I would guess 10 to 1. I’m not against players being allowed to make money outside of football. I think it’s long over due and it’s going to happen. I just can’t see how this will help Miami compete with the Large SEC schools. If anything, I think we’ll be left further behind.
Stop trying to use sound logic. Hurr miami has a "big market". lol Tuscaloosa. More like tus****loosa ammirite :****:

A "fashion brand"? On what basis?

Look, to the extent that Devonta has ANY VALUE to a "fashion brand", it is due to the last year of his on-field performance. And now he is going pro, and he is welcome to sign with any "fashion brand" he wants to sign with.

We need to be honest. NONE of these kids have any value to a "fashion brand". Except, maybe, "352 Gaytor Nation Fashion Brand", or any other number of thinly-disguised companies that will be set up in SEC country to funnel money to athletes.

I think NIL will somewhat level the playing field, especially for the big city schools (Miami, USC, Texas, etc) but the $EC is going to $EC anyway. A Bama recruit will be promised a car from Satan's dealership as compensation for an endorsement, but that doesnt stop the boosters from still steering money to that same recruit.

Advertisement
Back