HA! Eat that NCAA!!

I guarantee you they are mostly kids from the tri-county area. My son is a junior at Miami. He dated a gal who was going to FIU. She would go to games with him. She still rooted for FIU when they played Miami. Lots of Tri-County kids who like UM sports.

Again, this doesn't come close to the fan base of big state schools. I am heading to Baton Rouge in 2 weeks for a campus visit. Guarantee you that is a much different feel. You get 5 miles from San Amaro Drive and most folks couldn't name 5 Hurricanes but I bet you would have better success asking for 5 Dolphin names.
I'm a Louisiana guy, and I know for a fact Miami Hurricanes are very well known here.. Now of course ppl say "they haven't won much of late" but when Miami is winning ppl here definitely see it..

Advertisement
I have a vested interest since I’m already recruiting players for the NIL stuff and want the federal legislation to pass. The U brand carries weight and certainly helps but IMO this helps the large state schools in college towns even more. Football and basketball are king there and just brings the bag game above the table to make it legal. Outside of maybe a star QB, which we have, being in a “big market” won’t make much of a difference when the pro players aren’t even seen on many endorsements around the city. We’ve historically been awful in fan support and donations as it is.

The bag schools already drop hundreds of thousands on top players. In a weird way the dirty money is still going to be an attraction for a lot of players because they don't have to report it on their taxes (or their parents taxes). Can you imagine the tax implications if some HS kid filed his 1040 showing 250k from Alabama boosters? The NIL just offers the opportunity for other schools, especially schools in big markets like Miami and USC to at least have a chance to compete for players. Right now the option is 250k of dirty money to go play for UF (J. Marshall says hello) or $0 to go to UM. With the NIL the options will be $300k of NIL money to go to UF (because of the large alumni base) or $300k to go to Miami (because of the far larger media market).

I know Miami fans like to suck off Saban, but the reality is that Bama's fanbase is largely comprised of alumni. Cletus from Greenbo Alabama probably flies a Bama flag next to the confederate flag on his truck, but he isn't donating a lot of money to the school. Most of the country 1) doesn't care about Bama or 2) is sick of Bama

Want some proof? https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-says-...-over-7-m-from-2020-title-game-003113561.html

Keep in mind- that is the least watched CFP title game EVER when people are literally stuck at home with nothing to do AND Ohio State also has a large alumni base. It's the first time a championship game has had less viewers than the semi-final. That's f#cking embarrassing. There is no clearer indication that the country is sick and tired of Bama than that. For casual fans, Bama isn't even fun or interesting to root against. I know they've been compared to the Yankees, but the Yankees always had outsized personalities like Ruth, Steinbrenner, Mantle, Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, and A-Rod who galvanized opposing fans. Bama is just a boring inevitability. They aren't fun to watch and everyone knows that in the end, they will end up winning unless something shocking occurs. Bama is more like cancer than they are like the New York Yankees.

If Miami had been in the title game, I'd bet you money out of my wallet that the numbers would have been far better. Of course, the media narrative would be Thug U is back, but it still sells tickets and gets eyeballs. Bama is dominant but it isn't a **** brand- Snoop Dog won't be writing any songs about being like Bama in the 2020s. If Miami wins, the NIL opportunities will be unreal. They key though is that we have to win.

Last edited:
Surely you've heard of comps. Comparatives. It's one of the fundamentals of valuation.

The NCAA has already says it will use comparatives and fair market valuation.
Of course I understand the fundamentals of valuation. Didn't read the NCAA has figured that out as of it.

You can buy a Joe Burrow LSU signed jersey right now for $469.99. Tua Bama is going for $292.59. Saquon Barkley Penn State goes for $298.29.

Probably going to be a little trickier with endorsements.

You can’t be that naive. The player! Imagine they found the next Pat Mahomes. Do I really need to spell it out?
Yes, Pat Mahomes is huge in Caracas. You live on Earth most days, correct?

As good as Mahomes was at Texas Tech, 99.9% of the country couldn't have pick him out of a line up even after the NFL draft in 2017. Nobody expected the kid to be this good. Smith did not exactly have anything other than an outstanding year in 2017 either.

Advertisement
But using your example, player getting five bucks a signature. How long a line do you think there would be at Bama vs Miami? I would guess 10 to 1. I’m not against players being allowed to make money outside of football. I think it’s long over due and it’s going to happen. I just can’t see how this will help Miami compete with the Large SEC schools. If anything, I think we’ll be left further behind.

Again, it's new territory. Lots of talk focuses on "things we are familiar with", like autograph signings and clothing/apparel. We honestly have no idea on what might arise over time. I think that there are two key things that will come into play.

One is the natural constraint of time/resources. Yeah, it all sounds good on paper, but these kids have to go to class, they have to go to practice. ****, we'd all like to make more money, but there's only so many hours in a day.

The other constraint is the NCAA. It's all fun and games to sit here and devise ideas, and loopholes, and counterarguments, but once the NCAA has a year or two of regulating this, there will be a lot more guidance for the kids to follow. The approvals will move faster. Right now, we are all just throwing darts in the dark.

The bag schools already drop hundreds of thousands on top players. In a weird way the dirty money is still going to be an attraction for a lot of players because they don't have to report it on their taxes (or their parents taxes). Can you imagine the tax implications if some HS kid filed his 1040 showing 250k from Alabama boosters? The NIL just offers the opportunity for other schools, especially schools in big markets like Miami and USC to at least have a chance to compete for players. Right now the option is 250k of dirty money to go play for UF (J. Marshall says hello) or $0 to go to UM. With the NIL the options will be $300k of NIL money to go to UF (because of the large alumni base) or $300k to go to Miami (because of the far larger media market).

I know Miami fans like to suck off Saban, but the reality is that Bama's fanbase is largely comprised of alumni. Cletus from Greenbo Alabama probably flies a Bama flag next to the confederate flag on his truck, but he isn't donating a lot of money to the school. Most of the country 1) doesn't care about Bama or 2) is sick of Bama

Want some proof? https://sports.yahoo.com/espn-says-...-over-7-m-from-2020-title-game-003113561.html

Keep in mind- that is the least watched CFP title game EVER when people are literally stuck at home with nothing to do AND Ohio State also has a large alumni base. It's the first time a championship game has had less viewers than the semi-final. That's f#cking embarrassing. There is no clearer indication that the country is sick and tired of Bama than that. For casual fans, Bama isn't even fun or interesting to root against. I know they've been compared to the Yankees, but the Yankees always had outsized personalities like Ruth, Steinbrenner, Mantle, Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, and A-Rod who galvanized opposing fans. Bama is just a boring inevitability. They aren't fun to watch and everyone knows that in the end, they will end up winning unless something shocking occurs. Bama is more like cancer than they are like the New York Yankees.

If Miami had been in the title game, I'd bet you money out of my wallet that the numbers would have been far better. Of course, the media narrative would be Thug U is back, but it still sells tickets and gets eyeballs. Bama is dominant but it isn't a **** brand- Snoop Dog won't be writing any songs about being like Bama in the 2020s. If Miami wins, the NIL opportunities will be unreal. They key though is that we have to win.
LoL, you just wake up Rip after a 20 year sleep? It is not 2001. Teasing.

The game would definitely be better with a perennial national contending Miami. If for nothing less than to challenge Clemson and SEC current dominance. What is killing the college game is lack of competitiveness at the top end.

Last edited:
I think NIL will somewhat level the playing field, especially for the big city schools (Miami, USC, Texas, etc) but the $EC is going to $EC anyway. A Bama recruit will be promised a car from Satan's dealership as compensation for an endorsement, but that doesnt stop the boosters from still steering money to that same recruit.

Yes.

You will see some things that "favor" the SEC college towns. Autograph signings at large state schools. Endorsements for local sandwich shops and bars. Internet opportunities that might be based on number of followers.

And then you will see some things that favor the large cities, based on the massive populations, the concentration of businesses, and the opportunity to reach more people who are not just students/alums of the university.

But at the end of the day, if someone really wants to break the rules and give illegal extra benefits, they are going to do so with or without NIL rules.

I have a vested interest since I’m already recruiting players for the NIL stuff and want the federal legislation to pass. The U brand carries weight and certainly helps but IMO this helps the large state schools in college towns even more. Football and basketball are king there and just brings the bag game above the table to make it legal. Outside of maybe a star QB, which we have, being in a “big market” won’t make much of a difference when the pro players aren’t even seen on many endorsements around the city. We’ve historically been awful in fan support and donations as it is.

I don't know if I'd call it "awful", but we are certainly a lot smaller. Plus, we have always been a "national" university, not a "state" university. Outside of SoFla, the next biggest areas from where we pull students are NYC, D-M-V, Boston, and Philly. Whereas UiF pulls the vast majority of its student body from...Florida.

Then our alums spread out across the country, and it can be harder to follow UM if you live in, say, Chicago. In contrast, you only have to throw a rock on Saturday and you'll hit a table full of Gaytors watching the game on TV at a local bar.

UM does well on a PER CAPITA basis, our fund-raising really isn't that bad when you think of how small our undergrad student body/alumni association is. But, yeah, when you add it all up, we certainly fall behind all the SEC/Big 10 state schools.

Advertisement
Imo wouldn’t matter. We’d be able to match with the NIL. It’s an easy sell hey Elite 5 star player want to earn big time money and live in Tuscolusa or Miami? Lol

I'm confused as to what "big time money" in Tuscaloosa would mean.

You can buy the biggest trailer, most-lifted 1992 F350 or sexiest goat? I suppose you could splurge and have your other cousin join you and your boo to get burgers at Slappy Jack's House of Mystery Meat and Taxidermy Museum.

I'm with the side of the argument that this will mostly benefits the larger state schools with the largest alumni/local fan/customer base.

The walmart college sports sales is all I could find but is a good proxy imo. The top 10 college football programs in terms of merchandise sales are the expected names: Alabama is #1, followed by OSU, SEC schools, etc. https://www.al.com/news/2017/10/college_footballs_top_10accord.html I don't see any good reasons why the distribution of future image licensing fees should deviate substantially from current merchandise sales. Big schools generate the most merchandise sales, which will result in the most licensing fees payable to players.

Even moreso when NIL fees become directly and explicitly weaponized for recruiting, and Lincoln Riley makes a plea for each and every loyal OU fan to go out a buy a t-shirt with Spencer Rattler's likeness on it. When (not if) that happens the hundreds of thousands of OU fans will be motivated to buy Spencer rattler t-shirts not because they actually want one, but because it'll be their way of helping their favorite college football team get the best players.

That said, we still enjoy a national brand and mystique in the world of college football and this should help a lot. We should be able to therefore outperform our size and alumni base. I don't think we'll be able to equal the licensing fees that Alabama, OSU, UGA, etc will be able to generate for players, but maybe we can come close enough.

As others have noted, it's not clear we have to match the big schools so long as kids know that if they come to UM they'll be able to achieve NIL fees that can keep them and their families comfortable while they're working their way through college ball.

Side note: the largest collegiate athletics trademark licensing and marketing company is the Collegiate Licensing Company based in Slema, AL. CLC was founded by Bill Battle who is a former University of Alabama football player and athletic director. Let the shenanigans begin!!

I believe for a select few it can equal that
Exactly. A few. And you generally won’t know which in HS. And the value of a kid is going to be a function of the team’s success, too, because ain’t no endorsers gone care so much about kids on bad teams that don’t play in the big games. So back to the topic. Wjy do you think this disproportionately helps Miami?

I'm with the side of the argument that this will mostly benefits the larger state schools with the largest alumni/local fan/customer base.

The walmart college sports sales is all I could find but is a good proxy imo. The top 10 college football programs in terms of merchandise sales are the expected names: Alabama is #1, followed by OSU, SEC schools, etc. https://www.al.com/news/2017/10/college_footballs_top_10accord.html I don't see any good reasons why the distribution of future image licensing fees should deviate substantially from current merchandise sales. Big schools generate the most merchandise sales, which will result in the most licensing fees payable to players.

Even moreso when NIL fees become directly and explicitly weaponized for recruiting, and Lincoln Riley makes a plea for each and every loyal OU fan to go out a buy a t-shirt with Spencer Rattler's likeness on it. When (not if) that happens the hundreds of thousands of OU fans will be motivated to buy Spencer rattler t-shirts not because they actually want one, but because it'll be their way of helping their favorite college football team get the best players.

That said, we still enjoy a national brand and mystique in the world of college football and this should help a lot. We should be able to therefore outperform our size and alumni base. I don't think we'll be able to equal the licensing fees that Alabama, OSU, UGA, etc will be able to generate for players, but maybe we can come close enough.

As others have noted, it's not clear we have to match the big schools so long as kids know that if they come to UM they'll be able to achieve NIL fees that can keep them and their families comfortable while they're working their way through college ball.

Side note: the largest collegiate athletics trademark licensing and marketing company is the Collegiate Licensing Company based in Slema, AL. CLC was founded by Bill Battle who is a former University of Alabama football player and athletic director. Let the shenanigans begin!!
One thing this would do, almost inevitably, is cause schools to take branding and differentiation seriously. If there’s a silver lining for UM in it, it would be in it’s natural position as the bad guy for branding purposes. It’s easy money. But I’d wager a good amount that UM Admin wouldn’t get it right and would cede the position to some other programs in order to pursue the crack pipe dream of trying to rebrand as an elite academic institution.

Advertisement
Let's say the NCAA says others schools are not allowed to play Florida schools, what then? The NCAA rules still stand for the rest of the country. How will UM be able to play games in 21 if NCAA is prohibiting UM from participating?

LOL no it's not how can the cash a booster gives compare to an endorsement deal?
Because there are thousands and thousands of boosters at big programs, many who own businesses which employ plenty more.

You guys fantasize about ‘endorsement deals,’ but I haven’t seen any theories under which that reliably helps UM. Who do you think would get the big endorsement deals in ‘20? Almost certainly it would be D. Smith, T. Lawrence, M. Jones. Probably also Fields.

You aren’t thinking about who would benefit or how / why.

The top Miami players were all transfers. Think about that.

Advertisement
I’m going to assume that the top schools that generate merchandise sells & apparel sales are all from collegiate towns w/ the lone exception being USC b/c USC, for yrs, was the only football team in L.A (yeah, there’s UCLA, but they are LA’s collegiate b-ball team).

I’m going to assume maybe Miami is in the top 40-50 range, but most of ur SEC & B1G schools r going to be in the top 25. Again, I’m going to assume.

Why are you guys so dead set on the area market being where the money comes from?

So when Nike and UA and gatorade want to do a player endoresment, they're going to pick the best players. The Trever Lawrences, the Devonta Smiths. You're essentially saying that right now Nike will only do endorsements for Oregon players, so on and so forth. That doens't make sense to me.

Are you saying that people around the country don't know who Devonta Smith or T Lawrence was? Again, I'm confused at this logic. We used to see commercials with Kobe Bryant in it across the US. Even stuff with female tennis players, like Serena Williams. What exactly does the area market have to do with player endorsements?
We already know the SEC boosters take things very seriously. So that aspect I don't see changing at all.

Lol; bro I just sit back & read while trying not to laugh. U r so spot on.

I can guarandamnwelltee bet that more ppl know who Devonta Smith is vs. Brevin Jordan. I’m going to bet my bottom dollar that more ppl know who Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields r than D’Eriq King. Ppl r seeing “oh, but we’re in Miami, this should help.” First of all, Miami, per the Nielsen support, is the 16th largest market in the nation. Not even top 10. Second, if we’re basing this off of “market” then kids would flock to Illinois since Chicago is the third largest market; or kids will go to GA Tech, since Atlanta is the 10th largest market. How about D King foolishly left the 8th largest market in Houston to come to Miami. Lol.

Bruh, like u said, the NLI has chit to do w market. It’s r YOU marketable. U become marketable when u r WINNING or u r putting up other world #’s that’s going to get u drafted highly. But primarily it’s WINNING. U show me a fan who stands in line to wait for a JAG autograph, or rocking a JAG’s jersey. And for some posters saying how strong our brand is; BRUUUUUH, most of us who didn’t go to Miami that r fans r in our mid 30’s+; WE WERE WINNING THEN! Lol. Now we’re stuck in love. No different than Bama fans popping up all over the country.

Lol; bro I just sit back & read while trying not to laugh. U r so spot on.

I can guarandamnwelltee bet that more ppl know who Devonta Smith is vs. Brevin Jordan. I’m going to bet my bottom dollar that more ppl know who Trevor Lawrence & Justin Fields r than D’Eriq King. Ppl r seeing “oh, but we’re in Miami, this should help.” First of all, Miami, per the Nielsen support, is the 16th largest market in the nation. Not even top 10. Second, if we’re basing this off of “market” then kids would flock to Illinois since Chicago is the third largest market; or kids will go to GA Tech, since Atlanta is the 10th largest market. How about D King foolishly left the 8th largest market in Houston to come to Miami. Lol.

Bruh, like u said, the NLI has chit to do w market. It’s r YOU marketable. U become marketable when u r WINNING or u r putting up other world #’s that’s going to get u drafted highly. But primarily it’s WINNING. U show me a fan who stands in line to wait for a JAG autograph, or rocking a JAG’s jersey. And for some posters saying how strong our brand is; BRUUUUUH, most of us who didn’t go to Miami that r fans r in our mid 30’s+; WE WERE WINNING THEN! Lol. Now we’re stuck in love. No different than Bama fans popping up all over the country.
Spot on but I see a huge benefit with Miami in one area that I think Saban would never touch. Documentary style in season series. I think manny would capitalize on this!

Will something like this help us? Sure. But to think this is going to level the playing field with Bama or Clemson when it comes to high school recruiting? In my opinion, nope.

I think where this gets really interesting is in the transfer portal. The talent in the portal gets better and better each year. When you add endorsements to the equation...****...people gonna jump ship real quick.

Advertisement
Back