Gus Felder new S&C coach

They were also working for some dude named Richt. I think they will employ the program he desires.

We've heard that before. If it were that easy, the should bring back Swasey

I'd just like someone to explain the differences between HIT and Hatch - not HIIT. HIT as in what I understand higher rep system between 8-15. I don't know much about that system and, if that's what we might go to, would like to learn more.

Good question, but I don't know the answer to that so I'll let someone else take it.

The S&C coach is more than a lifting guru, in my opinion. This is the guy who leads your team all offseason when the HC doesn't have contact. You want a strong leader, and someone who is going to instill the toughness and character that will define your football team during the season

That's why Alabama's guy is so good, and that's why soft-spoken Swasey wasn't so good.

I don't care what system a guy runs, I'd just prefer someone who's results are proven - someone who will instill toughness and grit in this team

Moffitt was great at that

I explained it briefly in a post earlier.

Simply put HIT focuses on lesser weight, higher reps (training to failure), and controlled lifts that place a great deal of emphasis on time under tension - e.g. 2 seconds up, pause, 4 seconds down. Eccentric portion of lift just as important as concentric. (pushing the weight up = concentric, bring weight down is eccentric portion)

Hatch couldn't be more different in that it focuses on heavier weights, less reps, and explosive movements. You don't spend a great deal of time under tension. You blast the rep and really train your fast twitch fibers (the ones a DL/OL would use to explode off the line).

I'm sure these new hires have adjusted their HIT to incorporate more Olympic style training into it.

Gayle Hatch obviously isn't the "inventor" of Olympic style lifts, he just helped train a lot of American Olympians, and then later trained coaches who went on to become S&C guys at big time college and professional programs, etc. None of it is rocket science, or over the head of HIT guys of today, but it's just a differing in philosophy of how to train the muscle.

But pre-1980's/90's the majority athletes in this country were still on machines as oppose to free weights (and **** a lot of baseball players weren't even lifting because they thought it would stiffen you up - e.g. pitchers). Free weights and the idea of incorporating Olympic lifts into college sports really took off in the 90s and now it's the foundation of everyone's S&C program. So in those regards Gayle Hatch was ahead of the game. He's a Louisiana guy and knew Skip Bertman quite well. He convinced Skip to start training his athletes using the Hatch system. Well we all remember the LSU baseball teams of the 90s. Set records for runs and HRs.

And I'm rambling on and on... :)

lesser weight? You even do a HIT workout?
controlled lifts? Shouldnt all lifts be controlled as to not get injuried
HIT doesn't use fast twitch fibers?
"It is a different philosophy of how to train the muscle" Wouldn't that mean they are both using fast twitch fibers? Fast twitch fibers are recruited when doing anything for short periods of time with high weights. It doesn't matter how fast you are moving as the fibers are so small you can't see them.

The difference:
HATCH uses olympic lifts as they believe an olympic lifter directly translates to a better blocker, runner, tackler. They use lower reps, higher weights, more sets to get a muscle to failure which triggers the body to increase muscle mass.

HIT mostly uses non-compound lifts with single set to failure with reps mostly between 8-12. The core ideas is to keep athletes from getting injuried in the weight room, get them into the full system day one, spend more time in the film sessions/on the field doing FOOTBALL specific training like blocking, tackling, routes that will increase the use of said new muscle mass.

BOTH WORK along with Joe Kenn's system and Clemson/Auburn's (Simmons) which are also Olympic lifting systems.

As someone else pointed out, Swasey (& Dale Hewitt) were passive guys and push-overs. Moffit wasn't passive and has recruiter and trained other like minded non-passive guys which has increased the chances of HATCH being successful.

Advertisement
lackluster resume, imo.

Georgia just hired 2 guys to head up the S&C unit and they supposedly hired 2 very top notch guys. 2 guys were former heads of S&C at other schools (UCF and Marshall).

Yep this is quite the let down in not getting Ivey..
You have to wonder why Hocke didn't come here as well since Smart let him go.

hocke is apparently crazy.

Of course he is - he's a cochrane disciple
Yeah, I don't see the problem.

Why do we have to hire all these first time coaches??

I know the answer - it's because they were players for Richt and he feels like he owes them

But that's the wrong path IMO. OK...so you're not gonna pony up and go after a proven big time guy....but what's to stop them from hiring the S&C guy at Baylor or TCU or Boise State or Utah etc? Are you really telling me this kid is the best we can do?

lol no one cares about your opinion. last i checked, you've never coached a day in your life. let the guy we spent 4 mill on do his job and judge his work in the fall. you dont know **** about anything other than whatever google tells you.

So only college football coaches should give their opinions on here?

The problem is you are complaining about every single ****in move. Richt has won 145 games so i think he knows what the **** he is doing. Yes he can still make bad hires but with the success he has had he has made moe good decisions than bad.

That's not true. I like Mark Richt, Coach Kool, and Searls. I like the RB coach. I hated the Diaz hire initially but I'd call it "average" now. I don't like the Safeties coach, CB coach, TE coach, or Richt hiring his son. I don't like the S&C hire if this guy is the head guy.

So you see, I like some hires and dislike others.

I know the answer - it's because they were players for Richt and he feels like he owes them

But that's the wrong path IMO. OK...so you're not gonna pony up and go after a proven big time guy....but what's to stop them from hiring the S&C guy at Baylor or TCU or Boise State or Utah etc? Are you really telling me this kid is the best we can do?

lol no one cares about your opinion. last i checked, you've never coached a day in your life. let the guy we spent 4 mill on do his job and judge his work in the fall. you dont know **** about anything other than whatever google tells you.

The problem is you are complaining about every single ****in move. Richt has won 145 games so i think he knows what the **** he is doing. Yes he can still make bad hires but with the success he has had he has made moe good decisions than bad.

That's not true. I like Mark Richt, Coach Kool, and Searls. I like the RB coach. I hated the Diaz hire initially but I'd call it "average" now. I don't like the Safeties coach, CB coach, TE coach, or Richt hiring his son. I don't like the S&C hire if this guy is the head guy.

The fact of the matter is yea they are unproven but how do you know they wont be good, most peoples argument is that they are first timers and thats it, we dont know jack so we should just wait and see what they can bring to the table before we crucify them

Advertisement

I don't think Jon Richt is going to be an issue. I think he gets a lot of grief because he is HCs son. He seems like an intelligent guy, played quarterback, and has a head coach for a father (and yes that does matter). Jon was thought well enough of to have a position with the Bills. As far as Banda, one of the players at Miss St said he was as good a coach as he had worked with and he knew Diaz's Defense inside and out. Banda is also very well respected by other coaches, players, and journalist that have covered his teams. Don't know about Rumph, but he played in the NFL, so he should at least know what he is doing. In addition, he has shown the ability to coach; albeit at the HS level. Agree with you on CMR, Kool, Brown, and Searls. Kool is obviously the home run hire of the assistants.

My biggest question is Hartley and to a lesser extent the S & C hires.

I have not followed JT since he was fired by Bill O'Brien at Penn State, but i can tell you that a lot of fans were happy to see him go. The last several years before his exit, their boards were littered with JT posts the way this and other Miami boards were littered with Swasey ones. The lines at Penn State were getting push around for years in the Big10, and most fans contributed it to the players being smaller/weaker and needing more Olympic type lifts to gain strength and explosion. How do you create a HIT plan that uses machines and high reps and NOT incluce deadlifts, squates and power cleans? I'm sorry but those specific movements are needed in football, especially linemen. I'm really not a fan of this hire due to my history of hearing/seeing the results of Thomas' program. I'm also not excited about Felder, since almost everything he knows was taught by JT.
That's not encouraging. An old washed up dude who was reviled at PUS and the guy he taught.

Hopefully, these guys are assistants to a better Head S&C guy.

Gotta have trust in Richt here. This isn't his first rodeo. He knows what he's looking for and what he wants. Maybe there were higher up guys that he wanted that we simply couldn't get for whatever reason. UM is opening up the checkbook but it's not an unlimited SEC budget. I believe he's getting the best guys he can find for what UM is willing to pay and for what he wants to do. He didn't hire his best life long friend to be DC so you have to believe that he obviously sees something in these coaches like Diaz.

Of course we all wanted the elite **** hires at every position but come on. Did we really expect we were going to have guys like Aranda and Raymond and Ivey at every position? UM isn't Bama or LSU and isn't going to drop a half million on each position coach.

Richt knows these cats from UGA. He obviously thought they are what he wants at S&C if this is who he got.

Advertisement
We've heard that before. If it were that easy, the should bring back Swasey

I'd just like someone to explain the differences between HIT and Hatch - not HIIT. HIT as in what I understand higher rep system between 8-15. I don't know much about that system and, if that's what we might go to, would like to learn more.

Good question, but I don't know the answer to that so I'll let someone else take it.

The S&C coach is more than a lifting guru, in my opinion. This is the guy who leads your team all offseason when the HC doesn't have contact. You want a strong leader, and someone who is going to instill the toughness and character that will define your football team during the season

That's why Alabama's guy is so good, and that's why soft-spoken Swasey wasn't so good.

I don't care what system a guy runs, I'd just prefer someone who's results are proven - someone who will instill toughness and grit in this team

Simply put HIT focuses on lesser weight, higher reps (training to failure), and controlled lifts that place a great deal of emphasis on time under tension - e.g. 2 seconds up, pause, 4 seconds down. Eccentric portion of lift just as important as concentric. (pushing the weight up = concentric, bring weight down is eccentric portion)

Hatch couldn't be more different in that it focuses on heavier weights, less reps, and explosive movements. You don't spend a great deal of time under tension. You blast the rep and really train your fast twitch fibers (the ones a DL/OL would use to explode off the line).

I'm sure these new hires have adjusted their HIT to incorporate more Olympic style training into it.

Gayle Hatch obviously isn't the "inventor" of Olympic style lifts, he just helped train a lot of American Olympians, and then later trained coaches who went on to become S&C guys at big time college and professional programs, etc. None of it is rocket science, or over the head of HIT guys of today, but it's just a differing in philosophy of how to train the muscle.

But pre-1980's/90's the majority athletes in this country were still on machines as oppose to free weights (and **** a lot of baseball players weren't even lifting because they thought it would stiffen you up - e.g. pitchers). Free weights and the idea of incorporating Olympic lifts into college sports really took off in the 90s and now it's the foundation of everyone's S&C program. So in those regards Gayle Hatch was ahead of the game. He's a Louisiana guy and knew Skip Bertman quite well. He convinced Skip to start training his athletes using the Hatch system. Well we all remember the LSU baseball teams of the 90s. Set records for runs and HRs.

lesser weight? Yes, to do reps in the 12-20 range or to failure, you will be using lighter weight than someone squatting 3-5 reps with 80-85% of their max. You even do a HIT workout?
controlled lifts?
Controlled in terms of how they micromanage the concentric and eccentric portion of the lift (up 2 secs, pause, down 4 secs). It's a much more controlled movement in those regards. Shouldnt all lifts be controlled as to not get injuried
Not as much as a low rep, higher weight, explosive movement would
"It is a different philosophy of how to train the muscle" Wouldn't that mean they are both using fast twitch fibers? Fast twitch fibers are recruited when doing anything for short periods of time with high weights. It doesn't matter how fast you are moving as the fibers are so small you can't see them. And you recruit more of them in a 350lb 3 rep bench than you would in a 225lb 20+ rep bench.

The difference:
HATCH uses olympic lifts as they believe an olympic lifter directly translates to a better blocker, runner, tackler. They use lower reps, higher weights, more sets to get a muscle to failure which triggers the body to increase muscle mass.

HIT mostly uses non-compound lifts with single set to failure with reps mostly between 8-12. The core ideas is to keep athletes from getting injuried in the weight room, get them into the full system day one, spend more time in the film sessions/on the field doing FOOTBALL specific training like blocking, tackling, routes that will increase the use of said new muscle mass.

BOTH WORK along with Joe Kenn's system and Clemson/Auburn's (Simmons) which are also Olympic lifting systems.

As someone else pointed out, Swasey (& Dale Hewitt) were passive guys and push-overs. Moffit wasn't passive and has recruiter and trained other like minded non-passive guys which has increased the chances of HATCH being successful.

Weightlifting is not rocket science folks. There are tons of techniques that will get you the same results. To me it comes down to if the SC guy is a high motivator. There are always going to be those workout warriors on the team that need little motivation. My concern is how much can the new guy motivate the bottom half of the team to step it up and go all out in the weight room. I am sure Richt know what he is getting in that department.

lesser weight? Yes, to do reps in the 12-20 range or to failure, you will be using lighter weight than someone squatting 3-5 reps with 80-85% of their max. You even do a HIT workout?
controlled lifts?
Controlled in terms of how they micromanage the concentric and eccentric portion of the lift (up 2 secs, pause, down 4 secs). It's a much more controlled movement in those regards. Shouldnt all lifts be controlled as to not get injuried
Not as much as a low rep, higher weight, explosive movement would
"It is a different philosophy of how to train the muscle" Wouldn't that mean they are both using fast twitch fibers? Fast twitch fibers are recruited when doing anything for short periods of time with high weights. It doesn't matter how fast you are moving as the fibers are so small you can't see them. And you recruit more of them in a 350lb 3 rep bench than you would in a 225lb 20+ rep bench.

The difference:

Sorry but I've never seen a HIT program for college or NFL with reps over 12. Most are 8-12 and as much weight as the guy can push for 8 with spotting to get to 10-12 as the muscles have failed.

3-5 reps with 2-5 sets means those cats aren't lifting heavier weights as they can't as the muscles has started to fail.

It doesn't seem to me that Richt made the decision to hire Hocke. Sounds like that was forced onto him (I think the AD has wet dreams of becoming Alabama, so he wanted their strength coach and defensive coordinator, etc etc).

Not that I'm against Hocke, but I think that's why he's not being hired.

Advertisement

Your opinion is based on an assertion the requires knowledge of Richt's thought process about who he is hiring and why. There is no way you KNOW that that's why Richt hired them unless you know Richt and talked it over with him (in which case I hope you lobbied against this potential hire). You guess based off the prior relationships and dismiss the fact that he might actually believe that they are suited for the positions. That makes the opinion less valid.

If I had to guess, that's what hoops was trying to say, just took a different route of saying it.

(Yes, I was bored...)

Advertisement

Your opinion is based on an assertion the requires knowledge of Richt's thought process about who he is hiring and why. There is no way you KNOW that that's why Richt hired them unless you know Richt and talked it over with him (in which case I hope you lobbied against this potential hire). You guess based off the prior relationships and dismiss the fact that he might actually believe that they are suited for the positions. That makes the opinion less valid.

If I had to guess, that's what hoops was trying to say, just took a different route of saying it.

(Yes, I was bored...)

essentially. i was typing on a cell phone so i tried to keep it as short as possible.

Has this hire been confirmed?

Wondering the same thing. All we have is some uga site. No confirmation from our side. Almost nothing on Twitter about this except one guy tweeting. Probably getting his information from this board.

Nothing has been confirmed. the AJC says theyre coming here but it didnt state whether any one of the three guys will head the department. it assumed felder will head it but they are not in richts head anymore so they have no way knowing.

I don't think Richt was too happy with the protesting that Ivey promoted.

Why......MR is more interested in saving souls than wins.

yeah, that's why he jumped on the first big coaching opportunity that he could instead just taking his $4 million+ buyout and going to preach. get the **** out of here with that ****. the new posters here are half retarded.

I don't think Richt was too happy with the protesting that Ivey promoted.

Why......MR is more interested in saving souls than wins.

Why do you think the new coach at Missouri let Ivey go? I promise you it wasn't his ability to coordinate a strength program. Personally I'm indifferent to what Ivey did or didn't do regarding that but it can rub people the wrong way.

Advertisement
Back