Gus Felder new S&C coach

The night UM was decimated by L$U in the Chick-fil-a bowl in 2005 I passed by the UGA and W. Va. teams as they walked in to attend the game (prior to their January 2nd Sugar Bowl game relocated to Atlanta due to Katrina). I am 6'3" 230 and the UGA players made me feel like an elf, biggest team I have ever been around. If these guys can reshape the Canes, we will be very successful.

It's a totally different staff

This guy we hired was the #2 guy at UGA...not even the head guy....and he started in 2012

Former player for Richt who thought he'd give S&C a try

Are you talking about John Thomas? Because he was the #1 guy at Penn St for years

I'm talking about Gus Felder - that's who is supposedly our S&C head guy now

John Thomas as an assistant S&C guy I have no problem with, same for Felder (as an assistant, not the top guy)

He's been with Thomas for many years. If I had to guess, he'd be named the head man because he's younger and probably has more energy. But it's still John Thomas's system and philosophies being used. What's the difference? They'd be working together as a team.

Advertisement
Has anyone confirmed our system will now be HIT or is it just speculated?

That would be disappointing for the type of athletes we attract.

Speculation. One of our new assistants, Thomas, is a known HIT guy and our head of S&C, Felder, was a football player at Penn State when Thomas was the head of S&C. The other thing to consider is that the both, Thomas and Felder, have recently been assistants to Hocke who uses the Hatch system.

They were also working for some dude named Richt. I think they will employ the program he desires.

We've heard that before. If it were that easy, the should bring back Swasey

I'd just like someone to explain the differences between HIT and Hatch - not HIIT. HIT as in what I understand higher rep system between 8-15. I don't know much about that system and, if that's what we might go to, would like to learn more.

Go search your Grandparents basement for that set of Encyclopedia Britannicas. Should be a good review in there.

Why do we have to hire all these first time coaches??

I know the answer - it's because they were players for Richt and he feels like he owes them

But that's the wrong path IMO. OK...so you're not gonna pony up and go after a proven big time guy....but what's to stop them from hiring the S&C guy at Baylor or TCU or Boise State or Utah etc? Are you really telling me this kid is the best we can do?

lol no one cares about your opinion. last i checked, you've never coached a day in your life. let the guy we spent 4 mill on do his job and judge his work in the fall. you dont know **** about anything other than whatever google tells you.

Advertisement
also, the article states that none of these guys are the head SnC coach, just speculating that felder could be. lets just wait till UM confirms it bc none of you even sniffed the Manny Diaz hire before it was announced.

I know the answer - it's because they were players for Richt and he feels like he owes them

But that's the wrong path IMO. OK...so you're not gonna pony up and go after a proven big time guy....but what's to stop them from hiring the S&C guy at Baylor or TCU or Boise State or Utah etc? Are you really telling me this kid is the best we can do?

lol no one cares about your opinion. last i checked, you've never coached a day in your life. let the guy we spent 4 mill on do his job and judge his work in the fall. you dont know **** about anything other than whatever google tells you.

So only college football coaches should give their opinions on here?

Advertisement
I have not followed JT since he was fired by Bill O'Brien at Penn State, but i can tell you that a lot of fans were happy to see him go. The last several years before his exit, their boards were littered with JT posts the way this and other Miami boards were littered with Swasey ones. The lines at Penn State were getting push around for years in the Big10, and most fans contributed it to the players being smaller/weaker and needing more Olympic type lifts to gain strength and explosion. How do you create a HIT plan that uses machines and high reps and NOT incluce deadlifts, squates and power cleans? I'm sorry but those specific movements are needed in football, especially linemen. I'm really not a fan of this hire due to my history of hearing/seeing the results of Thomas' program. I'm also not excited about Felder, since almost everything he knows was taught by JT.

lackluster resume, imo.

Georgia just hired 2 guys to head up the S&C unit and they supposedly hired 2 very top notch guys. 2 guys were former heads of S&C at other schools (UCF and Marshall).

Yep this is quite the let down in not getting Ivey..
You have to wonder why Hocke didn't come here as well since Smart let him go.

if you gave a decent opinion other than ****ting on every hire because you've never heard of the guy, then people can actually hold a convo with you. ill trust a guy who has won in the toughest conference for an extended period of time. shannon nor golden has the resume that richt has and with that, comes a level of trust and faith in the guy. he knows what hes doing so why dont you let him do his thing now and wait and see how it looks in the fall.

lackluster resume, imo.

Georgia just hired 2 guys to head up the S&C unit and they supposedly hired 2 very top notch guys. 2 guys were former heads of S&C at other schools (UCF and Marshall).

hocke is apparently crazy.

Advertisement
I have not followed JT since he was fired by Bill O'Brien at Penn State, but i can tell you that a lot of fans were happy to see him go. The last several years before his exit, their boards were littered with JT posts the way this and other Miami boards were littered with Swasey ones. The lines at Penn State were getting push around for years in the Big10, and most fans contributed it to the players being smaller/weaker and needing more Olympic type lifts to gain strength and explosion. How do you create a HIT plan that uses machines and high reps and NOT incluce deadlifts, squates and power cleans? I'm sorry but those specific movements are needed in football, especially linemen. I'm really not a fan of this hire due to my history of hearing/seeing the results of Thomas' program. I'm also not excited about Felder, since almost everything he knows was taught by JT.

Interesting... yet you will get the cheerleaders telling us that Richt can do no wrong and we should trust the "process".

lackluster resume, imo.

Hocke failed the same exam as Swasey

The problem is you are complaining about every single ****** move. Richt has won 145 games so i think he knows what the **** he is doing. Yes he can still make bad hires but with the success he has had he has made moe good decisions than bad.

Advertisement
lackluster resume, imo.

hocke is apparently crazy.

Of course he is - he's a cochrane disciple

if you gave a decent opinion other than ****ting on every hire because you've never heard of the guy, then people can actually hold a convo with you. ill trust a guy who has won in the toughest conference for an extended period of time. shannon nor golden has the resume that richt has and with that, comes a level of trust and faith in the guy. he knows what hes doing so why dont you let him do his thing now and wait and see how it looks in the fall.

So only Don Bailey Jr types are allowed?

I'm just gonna keep telling it like it is. Thanks anyway dude.

Advertisement
Back