Gus Felder new S&C coach

This is the kind of stuff that S&C coaches work on. It's not just form and technique, or even writing programs for individual lifters. There's also higher level stuff:

Fatigue Indicators and How To Use Them – Juggernaut

Post Season Restoration – Juggernaut

Practical Considerations for Combining Cardio and Lifting • Strengtheory

This is the science behind S&C, and it's more important than what methods they use to increase strength. Are they going to be doing explosive lifts? Most likely, yeah. Are they going to do machine work as well? I sure hope so. The bigger the muscle, the stronger the potential for force. S&C coaches are responsible for maximizing their time into training blocks for specific goals.

Any elite college football S&C program uses a combination of methods. Bama uses Hatch and machines. Stanford uses Kettlebells, medicine balls, extensive stretching, yoga, Hatch and a little HIT. It's all based off the specific goals and vision of your football team.

Advertisement

"Exercise machines don't make anybody any stronger, unless they've done absolutely no previous strength training. Even then, they make novices stronger for about six weeks. This is unfortunate for a college student who plans to be there longer."

*rolleyes*

sure machines don't work your muscles like free weights, but that statement is BEYOND silly

Did you read the whole article or just pulled out that snippet?

I read up to that point and after already trying rippetoes starting strength program, which I immediately plateau'd on within not even a week and a half of it while being a total beginner 7 years ago. I already have a low opinion on him based on that alone and then after indeed reading the whole thing, and then reading that silly crap.. that about sealed the deal at that point

and yes I was pushing almost 7k calories a day at that point, I was eating enough before anyone even comes out and says otherwise.

It's impossible to plateau on Rippetoe's Starting Strength program that fast, because for beginners (as you say you were) he has you start on a low enough weight to allow gains to be made. Which means if your 5 rep max squat was 250, then you would probably start at maybe 60-65% of that. He also has you increase the weight at a low enough rate that would, again, prevent plateauing early, much less 1.5 weeks in.

You clearly didn't follow the program properly at all.

And I'm not even advocating that everyone should make great gains on his program - it's that only an idiot would think they plateaued on ANY workout program 1.5 weeks in. Typical gym bro American.

I followed the program exactly to the tee, not only does he increase the weight too fast.. but doing it as fast as he does caused a very quick burnout on my system

I also found it funny as **** that just those simple lifts would be all that I would need to actually get bigger really fast. It's the same repeated crap you see on any bodybuilding forum, just like how they repeat about needing a gram of protein per bodyweight..

I added 20 lbs to to my deadlift which was the most out of all the lifts ( which is pretty much terrible for a beginner ) before being completely unable to increase the weight anymore via his program.

After banging my head against the wall like an idiot ( funny you think i'm the idiot here ) for about a month trying to make it work, I stopped and started doing the smartest thing I ever did which was listen to my body and dropping these immobile "must do this on this day" workouts

My body simply does not respond to that high of a weight, call me an idiot all you want

I'd like to point out that just because someone is certified from NASM doesn't mean they know **** about strength and conditioning. You took an online course to become a certified person trainer. You don't have a Bachelors in Kinesiology nor do you have a CSCS from the NSCA. In terms of Strength and Conditioning. It's about building a better athlete for their sport. Hatch, HIIT, Westside, whatever it is. It's on the Strength and Conditioning coach to get the Athletes better.

"Exercise machines don't make anybody any stronger, unless they've done absolutely no previous strength training. Even then, they make novices stronger for about six weeks. This is unfortunate for a college student who plans to be there longer."

*rolleyes*

sure machines don't work your muscles like free weights, but that statement is BEYOND silly

I read up to that point and after already trying rippetoes starting strength program, which I immediately plateau'd on within not even a week and a half of it while being a total beginner 7 years ago. I already have a low opinion on him based on that alone and then after indeed reading the whole thing, and then reading that silly crap.. that about sealed the deal at that point

and yes I was pushing almost 7k calories a day at that point, I was eating enough before anyone even comes out and says otherwise.

It's impossible to plateau on Rippetoe's Starting Strength program that fast, because for beginners (as you say you were) he has you start on a low enough weight to allow gains to be made. Which means if your 5 rep max squat was 250, then you would probably start at maybe 60-65% of that. He also has you increase the weight at a low enough rate that would, again, prevent plateauing early, much less 1.5 weeks in.

And I'm not even advocating that everyone should make great gains on his program - it's that only an idiot would think they plateaued on ANY workout program 1.5 weeks in. Typical gym bro American.

I followed the program exactly to the tee, not only does he increase the weight too fast.. but doing it as fast as he does caused a very quick burnout on my system

I also found it funny as **** that just those simple lifts would be all that I would need to actually get bigger really fast. It's the same repeated crap you see on any bodybuilding forum, just like how they repeat about needing a gram of protein per bodyweight..

I added 20 lbs to to my deadlift which was the most out of all the lifts ( which is pretty much terrible for a beginner ) before being completely unable to increase the weight anymore via his program.

After banging my head against the wall like an idiot ( funny you think i'm the idiot here ) for about a month trying to make it work, I stopped and started doing the smartest thing I ever did which was listen to my body and dropping these immobile "must do this on this day" workouts

My body simply does not respond to that high of a weight, call me an idiot all you want

Not an idiot...just very inferior genetics at play. I have never seen anyone "burn out" that fast on RTs. Only people I saw do that were those just scraping the ebottle of the genetic barrel so to speak. There is no shame in this, just understand your physical limitations and realize that your forefathers/foremothers likely did not come from the warrior/hunter class and were likely farmers/foragers/indentured servants.

Not an idiot...just very inferior genetics at play. I have never seen anyone "burn out" that fast on RTs. Only people I saw do that were those just scraping the ebottle of the genetic barrel so to speak. There is no shame in this, just understand your physical limitations and realize that your forefathers/foremothers likely did not come from the warrior/hunter class and were likely farmers/foragers/indentured servants.

He's an idiot too. It's not like he hit the genetic lottery there after languishing in the chromosomal gutter everywhere else.

Advertisement
I'd like to point out that just because someone is certified from NASM doesn't mean they know **** about strength and conditioning. You took an online course to become a certified person trainer. You don't have a Bachelors in Kinesiology nor do you have a CSCS from the NSCA. In terms of Strength and Conditioning. It's about building a better athlete for their sport. Hatch, HIIT, Westside, whatever it is. It's on the Strength and Conditioning coach to get the Athletes better.

Who are you referring to? I have a bachelors in Kinesiology.

Last edited:
Again I ask...is there any competent opinion to compare/contrast UGA vs UM recent S&C programs?

If UGAs is better...why so?

IF it is, then it would appear UM has an upgrade so we are headed in right direction.

Also, is there a competent opinion on UGA vs Mizzou S&C these past few years?

I have to be honest, if S&C at Mizzou was so great under Ivey, then why didnt that translate into more wins?

Maybe the marginal (if any) advantage wasnt enough of a difference maker?

Don't let "perfect" become the enemy of good enough.

You ask too many,questions. People don't want to know.

Who are you referring to? I have a bachelors in Kinesiology.

What the **** is kinesthiology?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back