Gus Felder new S&C coach

I watched Georgia in their bowl game and those players would have kicked our teams *** and stole their lunch money. They look like men. We still have guys running around looking like Jacory Harris.

But they were soft. Golden probably Pillarizes UGA. LOL

They were harder than us....you don't like the hires, cool. But they are done. Just hope for the best

Advertisement

"Exercise machines don't make anybody any stronger, unless they've done absolutely no previous strength training. Even then, they make novices stronger for about six weeks. This is unfortunate for a college student who plans to be there longer."

*rolleyes*

sure machines don't work your muscles like free weights, but that statement is BEYOND silly

Advertisement
There's still been no confirmation, right?

correct. ill wait for the school to announce it first and I'm still waiting on any sort of rumor as to who the head of SnC dept will be. the article just assumed one of the three but wouldnt confirm if either of the three will be heading it. i trust richt in building a proper staff and hes done a good job so far imo. btw, UGA hired a DB coach to be their DC...wonder if UGA forums are blowing up about him not being a DC at another school before he got to bama as a DB coach.

If nothing, our staff seems to be the holiest of staffs ever at the U of M. Good thing we don't play on Sundays.

correct. ill wait for the school to announce it first and I'm still waiting on any sort of rumor as to who the head of SnC dept will be. the article just assumed one of the three but wouldnt confirm if either of the three will be heading it. i trust richt in building a proper staff and hes done a good job so far imo. btw, UGA hired a DB coach to be their DC...wonder if UGA forums are blowing up about him not being a DC at another school before he got to bama as a DB coach.

Who care what a nothing program like UGA expects. We've won 5 titles since those dudes even sniffed a title game.

What??? You are asking if UGA fans are worried about their new HC, which was the top DC at Bama, hiring a guy to be DC that was a DB coach? Really... why don't you think that one through for a moment.

Advertisement

"Exercise machines don't make anybody any stronger, unless they've done absolutely no previous strength training. Even then, they make novices stronger for about six weeks. This is unfortunate for a college student who plans to be there longer."

*rolleyes*

sure machines don't work your muscles like free weights, but that statement is BEYOND silly

Did you read the whole article or just pulled out that snippet?

What??? You are asking if UGA fans are worried about their new HC, which was the top DC at Bama, hiring a guy to be DC that was a DB coach? Really... why don't you think that one through for a moment.
sarcasm

I don't know when did our fans became experts at strength and conditioning of football players. I have no idea what's the process and of getting players ready to play college football. I'll trust Richt with all that. It's just crazy the whining that goes on here even on issues like this where u can't really just quantify these things even after the win awards.

One guy on here said snatches, cleans, etc...were useless because it gave him no "pump" and it's alla bout the 20rep lighweight and that's what we should be doing..

in s hort 99% of these guys on here have zero clue on anything weighlifting related. 0. NONE.

Hmmm....well i not only trained with power lifters and bodybuilders throughout my college career, but i also trained with D1 football players and one of my closest friends is a CERTIFIED personal trainer/gym owner who is also a former natural bodybuilder himself. I guess that puts me in the 1%.

Have no idea how John Thomas and these guys train their athletes, so I'm not going to critique this hire until a couple years go by. I'm just glad Swasey is gone for starters.

But John Thomas has a history of preferring HIT, and that fvckin sucks. HIT is **** if it's your foundation for building football players. It doesn't train fast twitch muscle fibers the way the Hatch System/Olympic training does (lower reps, higher intensity, explosive movements)

The 2 schools of training here are...

Hatch System = Heavy weight, lower reps (1-10 range) with an emphasis on hip drive and explosive movements. Anaerobic training.

HIT = Lighter weight, higher reps (20+ range) with an emphasis on rest pause reps (up 2 secs, pause, down 4 secs) and training to failure. Aerobic training.

Ugh, tell me we aren't living in the 80's with our strength training.

I'm certified through NASM and have been a strength coach at the collegiate level (basketball) in case anyone wanted to hit me with the, "what they **** do you know about strength training?"
Seems like many s and c coaches are stealing some tricks in the bag from overseas. See a lot of them doing velocity based training and many have bar meters

Advertisement
Most important thing he says is at 1:22 in that video IMO.

Agree and that should be true for any style/system not just HIT. Jist happy that swasey is gone. Feel bad for Brad Roll as he likely is canned a second time by Miami.

Brad was never fired by Miami. He left to take the Tampa Bay Buccaneers SC job when their SC was killed in a car accident.

At best we can call it a mutual parting but it sure didn't look like he was moving on to green jobs. When you walk out middle of the day dropping F bombs and throwing ****... Doesn't look like someone taking a better job.

I know Brad personally, when he took the Bucs job he invited me to visit their training complex. This first thing he did was get rid of all the Hammer Strength equipment and bring in olympic sets and bumper plates.

*rolleyes*

I believe it. That was the entire premise of Rocky IV.

Advertisement

*rolleyes*

I read up to that point and after already trying rippetoes starting strength program, which I immediately plateau'd on within not even a week and a half of it while being a total beginner 7 years ago. I already have a low opinion on him based on that alone and then after indeed reading the whole thing, and then reading that silly crap.. that about sealed the deal at that point

and yes I was pushing almost 7k calories a day at that point, I was eating enough before anyone even comes out and says otherwise.

*rolleyes*

I read up to that point and after already trying rippetoes starting strength program, which I immediately plateau'd on within not even a week and a half of it while being a total beginner 7 years ago. I already have a low opinion on him based on that alone and then after indeed reading the whole thing, and then reading that silly crap.. that about sealed the deal at that point

and yes I was pushing almost 7k calories a day at that point, I was eating enough before anyone even comes out and says otherwise.

It's impossible to plateau on Rippetoe's Starting Strength program that fast, because for beginners (as you say you were) he has you start on a low enough weight to allow gains to be made. Which means if your 5 rep max squat was 250, then you would probably start at maybe 60-65% of that. He also has you increase the weight at a low enough rate that would, again, prevent plateauing early, much less 1.5 weeks in.

You clearly didn't follow the program properly at all.

And I'm not even advocating that everyone should make great gains on his program - it's that only an idiot would think they plateaued on ANY workout program 1.5 weeks in. Typical gym bro American.

Last edited:
This is the kind of stuff that S&C coaches work on. It's not just form and technique, or even writing programs for individual lifters. There's also higher level stuff:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2015/12/27/fatigue-indicators-and-how-to-use-them/

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2015/12/16/post-season-restoration/

Practical Considerations for Combining Cardio and Lifting • Strengtheory

This is the science behind S&C, and it's more important than what methods they use to increase strength. Are they going to be doing explosive lifts? Most likely, yeah. Are they going to do machine work as well? I sure hope so. The bigger the muscle, the stronger the potential for force. S&C coaches are responsible for maximizing their time into training blocks for specific goals.

Advertisement
Back