Gus Felder new S&C coach

I'll tell you right now. If this guy played for Berwick & Coach Curry in high school he is one tough SOB. Im from that area in PA in the mid 90's they won a NATIONAL title & we're absolute animals. That is encouraging.

Advertisement
i love how people get upset at rumors . it is rumored felder may head up s&c not confirmed thats the story

i love how people get upset at rumors . it is rumored felder may head up s&c not confirmed thats the story

Good point - no one knew Diaz would the DC until UM announced it so we'll wait and see if he's the guy...

So what ever happened to the big bucks Miami was going to spend on a staff. We have no actual OC. DC was from a low end SEC school who was a toxic name in the business. OL is a solid journeyman. DL is a stud hire. S&C are two assistants. And everything else is guys with minimal or no experience.

We can remember Jimmy Johnson was known as "Jimmy Who?" when he brought his retread, no name coaching staff to Coral Gables. It got worse when he went 8-5 (if memory serves me correctly as I was actually at every home game), lost to Maryland after blowing a 30+ halftime lead and lost to BC on "Hail Flutie" (dont get me started on how many holding calls were missed). He then lost to Penn State in the Fiesta Bowl the next year and didn't win a NC until the season after.

I'm not saying Richt will put into place JJ like "decade of dominance", but I would offer as a fan base we should just let the first season play out before we criticize HC Richt and his leadership/management decisions.

Advertisement
It does raise an eyebrow that we hired a guy who has never led a S & C program. It's fairly rare for a program with the tradition of ours to bring in a first timer like this.

I'm sure Coach Richt knows him and trusts him, but I'd like to see more information on our setup. Can anyone explain if one system is best for big men and one is better for skill guys? Perhaps that explains the staff having two guys with different philosophies?

I'd have rather gone out and got a guy from a lesser P5 program like an Oklahoma State, North Carolina, Virginia, or a Florida etc. We need to be a world class, spare no expense, type S & C program. Maybe we will, but at first glance it's a bit surprising at the speculation.

It does raise an eyebrow that we hired a guy who has never led a S & C program. It's fairly rare for a program with the tradition of ours to bring in a first timer like this.

I'm sure Coach Richt knows him and trusts him, but I'd like to see more information on our setup. Can anyone explain if one system is best for big men and one is better for skill guys? Perhaps that explains the staff having two guys with different philosophies?

I'd have rather gone out and got a guy from a lesser P5 program like an Oklahoma State, North Carolina, Virginia, or a Florida etc. We need to be a world class, spare no expense, type S & C program. Maybe we will, but at first glance it's a bit surprising at the speculation.

John Thomas is joining Richt - he's the brains behind what Gus Felder knows. So regardless who's the head man in charge, it's John Thomas's system that he's been running for 25+ years. He's highly respected in the S&C world.

Here's a video of NFL strength coaches talking about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoHlm74Dzc

What REALLY is the margin of quantifiable difference between all these supposed elite S&C programs.

I would argue it is very, very small. If true, hard to go wrong with any hire from these areas.

Did UGAs athletes look larger and better preperared from an S&C perpspective? If so, then it appears we have an instant upgrade to some small or large degree.

Press and lets start talking about the personnel the Hurricanes will field at the start of next season's tilt.

John Thomas is joining Richt - he's the brains behind what Gus Felder knows. So regardless who's the head man in charge, it's John Thomas's system that he's been running for 25+ years. He's highly respected in the S&C world.

Here's a video of NFL strength coaches talking about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIoHlm74Dzc

I've seen the video, and I know he's well regarded, but the fact that he wasn't named head man (at this point) and the fact that he runs an antiquated system doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I'm sure he's better than Swasey, and I have read he's adaptable, but I still would've expected us to steal a head man from another P program.

Advertisement
Initial article is trolling us. JT will be the guy and Gus will back him up. Let's hope JT's philosophy fits well with SF athletes.

Not an insider nystateofmind. Looking at their credentials I think that JT will be the head honcho and Gus will back him up. That just seems to make the most sense. If Gus is in fact placed ahead of JT, it would raise a serious red flag as much of his work experience was at smaller schools. It goes without saying but we can't "experiment" with these positions.

Initial article is trolling us. JT will be the guy and Gus will back him up. Let's hope JT's philosophy fits well with SF athletes.

You know this for a fact or you're assuming?

Advertisement
Not an insider nystateofmind. Looking at their credentials I think that JT will be the head honcho and Gus will back him up. That just seems to make the most sense. If Gus is in fact placed ahead of JT, it would raise a serious red flag as much of his work experience was at smaller schools. It goes without saying but we can't "experiment" with these positions.

My thinking to that is, if Richt loved Thomas so much, why not just promote him last year? Why bring in the guy from Bama?

I guess we'll have to see.

My thinking to that is, if Richt loved Thomas so much, why not just promote him last year? Why bring in the guy from Bama?

For some reason I feel like Hocke was probably forced onto him by the AD (that we already know was quite the micro-manager and Alabama d!ck slurper). That's just a guess though.

Interesting point. I think iLoveTDs might have nailed it though. Let's just hope that what they are about to implement fits our athletes.

Advertisement
I don't know when did our fans became experts at strength and conditioning of football players. I have no idea what's the process and of getting players ready to play college football. I'll trust Richt with all that. It's just crazy the whining that goes on here even on issues like this where u can't really just quantify these things even after the win awards.

Shot in the dark, but could Richt still be waiting on someone (NFL?) to head up the program?

I don't know when did our fans became experts at strength and conditioning of football players. I have no idea what's the process and of getting players ready to play college football. I'll trust Richt with all that. It's just crazy the whining that goes on here even on issues like this where u can't really just quantify these things even after the win awards.

One guy on here said snatches, cleans, etc...were useless because it gave him no "pump" and it's alla bout the 20rep lighweight and that's what we should be doing..

in s hort 99% of these guys on here have zero clue on anything weighlifting related. 0. NONE.

Advertisement
Back