Gus Felder new S&C coach

At least everybody on this site is a true die hard. You ask most fans who their teams S&C coach is & they'll say who gives a flying ****.

Advertisement
Fans up here don't know **** about s&c coaches. Ivey bio was posted and now ****ers are trying to act like they been knew about him.

Read the boards just don't believe 95% of what you read and you'll be ok...

Well, I gotta stop reading these boards. I was real pumped for Pat Ivey, Corey Raymond, etc. I have no idea how our hires will work out, but can't lie, bit of a letdown.

They were also working for some dude named Richt. I think they will employ the program he desires.

We've heard that before. If it were that easy, the should bring back Swasey

I'd just like someone to explain the differences between HIT and Hatch - not HIIT. HIT as in what I understand higher rep system between 8-15. I don't know much about that system and, if that's what we might go to, would like to learn more.

Good question, but I don't know the answer to that so I'll let someone else take it.

The S&C coach is more than a lifting guru, in my opinion. This is the guy who leads your team all offseason when the HC doesn't have contact. You want a strong leader, and someone who is going to instill the toughness and character that will define your football team during the season

That's why Alabama's guy is so good, and that's why soft-spoken Swasey wasn't so good.

I don't care what system a guy runs, I'd just prefer someone who's results are proven - someone who will instill toughness and grit in this team

Moffitt was great at that

That's why you need to shut the **** up. It's obvious you don't know what the **** you are talking about.

What did I say specifically that you disagree with?

Advertisement
Speculation. One of our new assistants, Thomas, is a known HIT guy and our head of S&C, Felder, was a football player at Penn State when Thomas was the head of S&C. The other thing to consider is that the both, Thomas and Felder, have recently been assistants to Hocke who uses the Hatch system.

They were also working for some dude named Richt. I think they will employ the program he desires.

We've heard that before. If it were that easy, the should bring back Swasey

I'd just like someone to explain the differences between HIT and Hatch - not HIIT. HIT as in what I understand higher rep system between 8-15. I don't know much about that system and, if that's what we might go to, would like to learn more.

Good question, but I don't know the answer to that so I'll let someone else take it.

The S&C coach is more than a lifting guru, in my opinion. This is the guy who leads your team all offseason when the HC doesn't have contact. You want a strong leader, and someone who is going to instill the toughness and character that will define your football team during the season

That's why Alabama's guy is so good, and that's why soft-spoken Swasey wasn't so good.

I don't care what system a guy runs, I'd just prefer someone who's results are proven - someone who will instill toughness and grit in this team

Moffitt was great at that

I explained it briefly in a post earlier.

Simply put HIT focuses on lesser weight, higher reps (training to failure), and controlled lifts that place a great deal of emphasis on time under tension - e.g. 2 seconds up, pause, 4 seconds down. Eccentric portion of lift just as important as concentric. (pushing the weight up = concentric, bring weight down is eccentric portion)

Hatch couldn't be more different in that it focuses on heavier weights, less reps, and explosive movements. You don't spend a great deal of time under tension. You blast the rep and really train your fast twitch fibers (the ones a DL/OL would use to explode off the line).

I'm sure these new hires have adjusted their HIT to incorporate more Olympic style training into it.

Gayle Hatch obviously isn't the "inventor" of Olympic style lifts, he just helped train a lot of American Olympians, and then later trained coaches who went on to become S&C guys at big time college and professional programs, etc. None of it is rocket science, or over the head of HIT guys of today, but it's just a differing in philosophy of how to train the muscle.

But pre-1980's/90's the majority athletes in this country were still on machines as oppose to free weights (and **** a lot of baseball players weren't even lifting because they thought it would stiffen you up - e.g. pitchers). Free weights and the idea of incorporating Olympic lifts into college sports really took off in the 90s and now it's the foundation of everyone's S&C program. So in those regards Gayle Hatch was ahead of the game. He's a Louisiana guy and knew Skip Bertman quite well. He convinced Skip to start training his athletes using the Hatch system. Well we all remember the LSU baseball teams of the 90s. Set records for runs and HRs.

And I'm rambling on and on... :)

The night UM was decimated by L$U in the Chick-fil-a bowl in 2005 I passed by the UGA and W. Va. teams as they walked in to attend the game (prior to their January 2nd Sugar Bowl game relocated to Atlanta due to Katrina). I am 6'3" 230 and the UGA players made me feel like an elf, biggest team I have ever been around. If these guys can reshape the Canes, we will be very successful.

It's a totally different staff

This guy we hired was the #2 guy at UGA...not even the head guy....and he started in 2012

Former player for Richt who thought he'd give S&C a try

The night UM was decimated by L$U in the Chick-fil-a bowl in 2005 I passed by the UGA and W. Va. teams as they walked in to attend the game (prior to their January 2nd Sugar Bowl game relocated to Atlanta due to Katrina). I am 6'3" 230 and the UGA players made me feel like an elf, biggest team I have ever been around. If these guys can reshape the Canes, we will be very successful.

This guy we hired was the #2 guy at UGA...not even the head guy....and he started in 2012

Are you talking about John Thomas? Because he was the #1 guy at Penn St for years

Why do we have to hire all these first time coaches??

I know the answer - it's because they were players for Richt and he feels like he owes them

But that's the wrong path IMO. OK...so you're not gonna pony up and go after a proven big time guy....but what's to stop them from hiring the S&C guy at Baylor or TCU or Boise State or Utah etc? Are you really telling me this kid is the best we can do?

How many first time coaches did we hire?

Richt Jr.
Rumph
Panda

Hartley, Felder. So 5 out of the 7 hires we've made so far are first time coaches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Again I ask...is there any competent opinion to compare/contrast UGA vs UM recent S&C programs?

If UGAs is better...why so?

IF it is, then it would appear UM has an upgrade so we are headed in right direction.

Also, is there a competent opinion on UGA vs Mizzou S&C these past few years?

I have to be honest, if S&C at Mizzou was so great under Ivey, then why didnt that translate into more wins?

Maybe the marginal (if any) advantage wasnt enough of a difference maker?

Don't let "perfect" become the enemy of good enough.

Missorui is nothing, but 2 and 3 star players. They won the SEC East twice. Their first year in the SEC was a rebuilding year and would have been one in the Big 12 too. Their problem this year was the offensive line was absolute garbage. They had no pass blocking ability. It wasn't a S&C problem, it was just a lack of talent problem. Missouri has had plenty of explosiveness under Ivey all around and has fit in in the SEC with the way their players are built despite being 2 and 3 star players.

Is that guy above you really that dense. If my years are accurate on him then Missouri played for 5 conference titles (3 Big 12 & 2 in SEC) during his time there. If you go back roughly ten years Missouri is one of the top 10 winningest BCS programs in college. People post some of the dumbest sht on here without knowing basic facts on their subject of discussion.

Are you talking about John Thomas? Because he was the #1 guy at Penn St for years

I'm talking about Gus Felder - that's who is supposedly our S&C head guy now

John Thomas as an assistant S&C guy I have no problem with, same for Felder (as an assistant, not the top guy)

Advertisement
Auburn and Clemson use the Simmons/Batson model.

Michigan uses HIT.

HATCH is now at LSU, Bama, and UGA along with some other smaller schools. It was implemented at Tenn in the 90s then grew when Moffit went to LSU. I would say this is more a case of Moffit/Hatch being good teachers.

I'm almost afraid to ask but what the **** was Swasey using?

Michigan uses HIT.

HATCH is now at LSU, Bama, and UGA along with some other smaller schools. It was implemented at Tenn in the 90s then grew when Moffit went to LSU. I would say this is more a case of Moffit/Hatch being good teachers.

He was giving sociology lectures.

Advertisement

Michigan uses HIT.

Didn't you want to keep Swasey?

Michigan uses HIT.

Didn't you want to keep Swasey?

Please show me where I said that.

Advertisement
Back