Greg Schiano

It was certainly the wrong defense...but Rumph slipping on the wet field..and ER being outta place was the real culprit...

Yeah, and that's kinda what I was getting at. Regardless of Miller or Schiano, we had some young kids at that time who weren't always in the right spots on the field. I'm not 100% blaming Schiano for that play, just pointing out that our young guys got a lot better with experience.

We had an uphill battle to fight with sanctions, and I don't think that even Nick Saban/Jesus Christ himself would have made our defense much better before 1998, we just didn't have the numbers/depth. I was at most of those games.

Advertisement
not ****.jpg

And I think he has mellowed a bit since his time at UM, but I still don't think his couple of years at UM are such an overpowering and positive lure for him to leave Rutgers.
Any coach with half a brain would leave New Brunswick NJ for Miami.

Schiano definitely learned a thing or since his first stint at Butgers, but time has passed him up.

I view Schiano as a stop gap. Someone that would come in a stabilize the program and maybe get us competitive. I don’t think he’d get us in the playoffs. I’m not saying he can’t. I just don’t view him to be “that guy”.

I wonder if he could be a Gene Stallings type. Not overly successful in the past, but enough that he got the nod at BAMA and went on to win a Natty and have a few really successful years there. Hope springs eternal.

Advertisement
I watched Schiano build a legitimate program at Rutgers. He knows what he is doing.
Never understood the hate for the guy on this board. He did a great job as Miami's DC back in the day.
But I don't see him leaving Jersey at this point in his career.
agree man he was a great DC when he was at Miami

I'd have him on my list. He's got a solid and successful resume and is on his second stint of turning that Rutgers program around. They've got an interesting stretch coming up @ Michigan; home against taint and then MSU. They're 3-0 going into this week.

Obviously he's familiar with the area and the kids, having spent a little under two years here and he worked with some Dawgs.

I know he's not everyone's front runner but he should be in the race and he's miles ahead of the clowns we've had from radio to Mandy.
I would be surprised if he finishes better than 500 this year. Ceiling is 7 wins.

It wouldn't be overnight, but we would be tough as nails as a team. Guy has a knowledge from going around the block and I LOVE that he spent time at OSU to see how a real power does things.

He can recruit, build a program, point to guys he developed, and IMO would be a slam dunk hire.

Advertisement
I have heard over the years many players say how that hated there coach but in most cases they had a winning team. I have also heard how Schiano would not fit in at Miami and i could see that because most of the good players in high school now in Miami care more about other stuff then football plus how many local kids do we even get anymore. All of the teams Schiano has coached were tough and well coached just the opposite of what we have now.

Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?

Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?
Trick question, you call him no matter what assuming you're going to do your due diligence.

And I think he has mellowed a bit since his time at UM, but I still don't think his couple of years at UM are such an overpowering and positive lure for him to leave Rutgers.
That’s what leads me to one of the stoops. Schiano is just ran out of the UT job. Do you really think he’ll like to deal with us next? It’s not like we’re a friendly bunch.

Advertisement
I think Schiano is a good coach but I do not see his style fitting in well in So. Fla. Similar to guys like Kul or Searels, I think he fits best in a Big 10 type school.
Again, Schiano would probably just be an manager or sorts. The only guy I see being an actual coach that’s familiar with Zo is probably Mark Stoops. Other than Mario of course.

That’s what leads me to one of the stoops. Schiano is just ran out of the UT job. Do you really think he’ll like to deal with us next? It’s not like we’re a friendly bunch.
greg fits the s Florida culture. Not surprised that ut fans were mad about a Yankee taking over

I’ve heard a million times that Bob is done and doesn’t want to get back in and is over recruiting, but boy I’d give him a blank check YESTERDAY.

@SouthParkCane
What have you heard regarding BGB getting back in the ranks? I remember all that hooplah FSU went through thinking that they were getting him. Very, VERY glad that they didn’t obviously.

Advertisement
He's a valid second call. But he's got a pretty good deal in his second Rutgers go-round. Rutgers is NOW in the Big 10 and has a lot more money than they did in his first run. And after the way he was treated at a couple of spots (between Tampa Bay and Rutgers Round 2), I could certainly appreciate it if he felt extra loyal to Rutgers.

I respect him as a coach, but I honestly do not believe he would leave RU for UM at this point in his career. Again, just my opinion, but I think Schiano is past the whole "what's the next job" phase in his life and is pretty happy in his backyard.
Rutgers athletic department is more than 200 million dollars in debt and had to secure a loan from the school to remain operational…

They are a mess financially

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...-in-last-2-years-university-wont-say-why.html

Turnovers have been proven to be mostly luck. There's a little more to it, but turnover margin isn't really a selling point for a coach, good or bad.

Penalties, yes. I think Schiano is a very good football coach. I think he'd be a terrible fit here. However, we've had what we thought would be great fits, and they imploded. So I guess who not? I see Schiano as Al Golden but a more competent coach. That type of personality, a Northeastern guy. But he's seen champions and championships. He at least knows what it looks like. His last 6 years at Rutgers in the first stint, he won 8 or more games 5 of those 6 years. Sustained success at a program that has really never seen it. IMO we could do worse, for sure, but he'd be far behind Mario for me. Simply because Mario is an elite, elite recruiter who learned that side of the game from the absolute best.
Just curious who were the great fits that imploded?

Eliah Drinkwitz would be my choice if we miss the obvious candidates. Basically the equivalent to Dan Mullen back in 2010. He’s only getting better as long as he does better than Steve Wilks at DC and Jethro as DL coach.

He hired Dorsey at App State before he went to Buffalo. Might bring him. If not him, he also had Garrett Riley before he went to SMU. Look at his offenses right now.

Won’t be the flashy name but he fits that innovative mind that can actually draw it up ala Mullen, Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, etc. And he’s actually recruiting very good considering it’s Mizzou.
Not a bad name.

Advertisement
Back