Greg Schiano

I really wanted Drinkwitz in the weeks leading up to Richt's resignation while he was still at NC State. Great coaching network as well. He's making $4 million per at Mizzou but I'd imagine his buyout would be hefty
Yep. I know he's owed 70% of his remaining salary if he is fired. I'm not sure how that relates to another school buying him out.

Advertisement
Don't you think that could have been because those were pros and he was treating like college kids? I've never heard kids complain about him. He was terrible for the pro game, but is good for the college game.

UM players were not fond of Schiano. The Rutgers players loved him.

I already said that if the AD is Zo and for some reason it’s not Mario then it’s going to be somebody he’s familiar with.

Schiano
Pagano
Mark and Bob stoops
Etc

It goes without being said all men mention other than Mark will be in a manager type role. If Mark wanted to call the D down here then they’ll probably let him.

Advertisement
Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?

I've mentioned this a few times, but I see him and Mario as nearly the same coach. Mario has the hype and a higher profile program but I think they approach the game the same way and both spent time learning from the best in the business after they were humbled. I give the edge to Cristobal solely on recruiting because he appears to be an elite recruiter , Schiano is a good recruiter but I don't think he's quite at the same level.

Advertisement
He is a good coach. He would build a tough team. I know everyone wants flashy coaches, i do too. But he has to be somewhere on the list. Its Mario, Hugh Freeze and then the rest. He is somewhere in there for me. He coached here before as well and has alot of experience in college and pros. I don't take coaches pro record as what they would do in college. Saban as a bust. Pete Carroll was a bust first time, Butch, Bellicheck with the Jets and on and on.

I have little doubt that he would improve us as a team. Outside of his stint with Tampa Bay, he's been a successful coach for the most part.

My two questions would be personality fit with South Florida personalities and recruiting ability. Would top end players want to play for him. How good is he at selling the program. He had some issues at OSU with fans questioning his defensive scheme desire to recruit.

Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?
You call him if
Mario, Lane, Leach, Butch and every leading NFL coordinator all say no.

He’s certainly got a much better resume then Diaz. I wouldn’t be opposed to any coach that has had actual success in a head coaching role, unless it is a Richt type situation where he is looking for a nice pay check for his last few years before he retires.

Advertisement
I think Schiano is a good coach but I do not see his style fitting in well in So. Fla. Similar to guys like Kul or Searels, I think he fits best in a Big 10 type school.

That’s not intel. That’s just a name Zo would probably be very familiar with. I believe the Pack interviewed him during his time there too.

No, I realize that. I was just curious to ask SWFL his thoughts. I just watched that Parcells/Belichick 30-for-30, and Parcells must have come out of retirement 5 or 6 times.

Would love to see Pagano coach again, though it seems unlikely.

Maybe we can hire Mario, and Chuck can be one of our "consultants"...we'll get him a condo in South Miami and @SWFLHurricane can split his retirement between Fort Myers and UM! I've heard you can find Indian artifacts in Dade County...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back