Greg Schiano

And I think he has mellowed a bit since his time at UM, but I still don't think his couple of years at UM are such an overpowering and positive lure for him to leave Rutgers.
And I think he has mellowed a bit since his time at UM, but I still don't think his couple of years at UM are such an overpowering and positive lure for him to leave Rutgers.
He's a No BS guy...but was despised in Tampa..He replaced Bill Miller..and was an upgrade at UM.

Advertisement
I watched Schiano build a legitimate program at Rutgers. He knows what he is doing.
Never understood the hate for the guy on this board. He did a great job as Miami's DC back in the day.
But I don't see him leaving Jersey at this point in his career.

My issue was that he built Rutgers with Florida recruits that the Big 3 passed on. That was good enough to do well in a Big East that was a shell of its former self. What happens when he has to do better than a bunch of 3 star recruits that Florida and FSU do not want.

Monkey boy can enjoy Jersey living. He chose his choice.. Yesterday's news! NEXT

He's a No BS guy...but was despised in Tampa..He replaced Bill Miller..and was an upgrade at UM.

Oh, I remember. I definitely remember.

I'm actually trying to think this through...but I think that was the LAST TIME that a UM head coach voluntarily fired an under-performing coordinator and made a serious upgrade with the new coordinator hire...

Advertisement
I think the allure would be that he actually could win a natty here within 5 years if things went the right way and he will NEVER win a natty or even sniff a playoff while he's at Rutgers. He had a fast rise years ago, and then plummeted and even had TN students protest him taking the job in KNoxville and now he's slowly rising again. He knows what this place could be, so I think it's possible.

Oh, I remember. I definitely remember.

I'm actually trying to think this through...but I think that was the LAST TIME that a UM head coach voluntarily fired an under-performing coordinator and made a serious upgrade with the new coordinator hire...
And Butch and Bill were friends to boot...

And Butch and Bill were friends to boot...
Yeah, if Butch had made that move a season or two earlier, he would've built the team back even more quickly. Miller was just too read and react and Butch needed aggression out of his D.

Advertisement
Yeah, if Butch had made that move a season or two earlier, he would've built the team back even more quickly. Miller was just too read and react and Butch needed aggression out of his D.

Weeeelllllll...we were still fairly young. Not sure that even Schiano could have changed that.

Exhibit A: Ped State/Chafie Fields...

Advertisement
Eliah Drinkwitz would be my choice if we miss the obvious candidates. Basically the equivalent to Dan Mullen back in 2010. He’s only getting better as long as he does better than Steve Wilks at DC and Jethro as DL coach.

He hired Dorsey at App State before he went to Buffalo. Might bring him. If not him, he also had Garrett Riley before he went to SMU. Look at his offenses right now.

Won’t be the flashy name but he fits that innovative mind that can actually draw it up ala Mullen, Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, etc. And he’s actually recruiting very good considering it’s Mizzou.
What do you think about Billy Napier?

I'd have him on my list. He's got a solid and successful resume and is on his second stint of turning that Rutgers program around. They've got an interesting stretch coming up @ Michigan; home against taint and then MSU. They're 3-0 going into this week.

Obviously he's familiar with the area and the kids, having spent a little under two years here and he worked with some Dawgs.

I know he's not everyone's front runner but he should be in the race and he's miles ahead of the clowns we've had from radio to Mandy.

Advertisement
Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?

He's not taking this job if offered.
Next!

I'd have him on my list. He's got a solid and successful resume and is on his second stint of turning that Rutgers program. They've got an interesting stretch coming up @ Michigan; home against taint and then MSU. They are 3-0 going into this week.

Obviously he's familiar with the area and the kids, having spent a little under two years here and worked with some Dawgs.

I know he's not everyone's front runner but should be in the race and he's miles ahead of the clowns we've had from radio to Mandy.
He was at UM a full 2yrs...left before the 01 Sugar Bowl after taking Rutgers job...Pagano was promoted to DC for the bowl game...

He's not going to compete for a national championship at Rutgers. I'm sure he knows this. He knows he can build a championship contending team at Miami. Depends on whether he wants to be the best or have a comfortable relatively low stress job.

Advertisement
Back