Greg Schiano

JZCane0825

All ACC
Premium
Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?

Advertisement
I wait to see how the rest of the season goes. I know people are going to rag on him but I honestly don’t think he’s a horrible option. He’s got Michigan up next followed by OSU, MSU then later in the season Wisconsin and Penn State. Woof. 7+ wins is nothing to snuff at.

Certainly not the best option but I’d rather have him over Manny any day.

Turnovers have been proven to be mostly luck. There's a little more to it, but turnover margin isn't really a selling point for a coach, good or bad.

Penalties, yes. I think Schiano is a very good football coach. I think he'd be a terrible fit here. However, we've had what we thought would be great fits, and they imploded. So I guess why not? I see Schiano as Al Golden but a more competent coach. That type of personality, a Northeastern guy. But he's seen champions and championships. He at least knows what it looks like. His last 6 years at Rutgers in the first stint, he won 8 or more games 5 of those 6 years. Sustained success at a program that has really never seen it. IMO we could do worse, for sure, but he'd be far behind Mario for me. Simply because Mario is an elite, elite recruiter who learned that side of the game from the absolute best.

Last edited:
I wait to see how the rest of the season goes. I know people are going to rag on him but I honestly don’t think he’s a horrible option. He’s got Michigan up next followed by OSU, MSU then later in the season Wisconsin and Penn State. Woof. 7+ wins is nothing to snuff at.

Certainly not the best option but I’d rather have him over Manny any day.

They have a tough schedule coming up with games against Michigan, Ohio State, MSU, Wisconsin, and Penn State (not in a row). If he can beat 1 of them thats a success.

Advertisement
Let's have a civil conversation about this as I know it's probably going to ruffle feathers. Probably should have been the guy back in 2010 but that's neither here nor there. Rutgers currently leads the nation in turnover margin and fewest penalties and are 3-0. He's also had back to back recruiting classes in the mid-30's which is pretty **** good for Rutgers. Also has Sean Gleeson as his OC, who was on everyone's wish list when he hired Rhett and Fran Brown as DB coach. Do you call him if Mario says no?

He's a valid second call. But he's got a pretty good deal in his second Rutgers go-round. Rutgers is NOW in the Big 10 and has a lot more money than they did in his first run. And after the way he was treated at a couple of spots (between Tampa Bay and Rutgers Round 2), I could certainly appreciate it if he felt extra loyal to Rutgers.

I respect him as a coach, but I honestly do not believe he would leave RU for UM at this point in his career. Again, just my opinion, but I think Schiano is past the whole "what's the next job" phase in his life and is pretty happy in his backyard.

Eliah Drinkwitz would be my choice if we miss the obvious candidates. Basically the equivalent to Dan Mullen back in 2010. He’s only getting better as long as he does better than Steve Wilks at DC and Jethro as DL coach.

He hired Dorsey at App State before he went to Buffalo. Might bring him. If not him, he also had Garrett Riley before he went to SMU. Look at his offenses right now.

Won’t be the flashy name but he fits that innovative mind that can actually draw it up ala Mullen, Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, etc. And he’s actually recruiting very good considering it’s Mizzou.

Advertisement
Not a **** hire and may not be the best "fit" but he's infinitely better than that clueless hack Manuela. Probably would be 4th or 5th on my list.

He's a valid second call. But he's got a pretty good deal in his second Rutgers go-round. Rutgers is NOW in the Big 10 and has a lot more money than they did in his first run. And after the way he was treated at a couple of spots (between Tampa Bay and Rutgers Round 2), I could certainly appreciate it if he felt extra loyal to Rutgers.

I respect him as a coach, but I honestly do not believe he would leave RU for UM at this point in his career. Again, just my opinion, but I think Schiano is past the whole "what's the next job" phase in his life and is pretty happy in his backyard.
Don't think it would be a slam dunk and a lot would depend on our commitment to the program moving forward, who the AD was going to be, etc. He's only 55 so it's a question of wanting to get to the top of the mountain or be content winning 7-8 games per year at Rutgers

He should definitely get a call if Mario were to say no. It wouldn’t be a **** hire, but we need a clean slate and someone who can “build” us back up and clean this entire squad of its softness both physically and mentally along with the lack of discipline. He would do exactly that and I feel confident he would bring a solid staff here too. Not even top 3 realistic for me and maybe not even top 5 but as I and many others have stated, we could do MUCH worse.

Advertisement
He should definitely get a call if Mario were to say no. It wouldn’t be a **** hire, but we need a clean slate and someone who can “build” us back up and clean this entire squad of its softness both physically and mentally along with the lack of discipline. He would do exactly that and I feel confident he would bring a solid staff here too. Not even top 3 realistic for me and maybe not even top 5 but as I and many others have stated, we could do MUCH worse.
Would you say he could build back better?

giphy (8).gif

Eliah Drinkwitz would be my choice if we miss the obvious candidates. Basically the equivalent to Dan Mullen back in 2010. He’s only getting better as long as he does better than Steve Wilks at DC and Jethro as DL coach.

He hired Dorsey at App State before he went to Buffalo. Might bring him. If not him, he also had Garrett Riley before he went to SMU. Look at his offenses right now.

Won’t be the flashy name but he fits that innovative mind that can actually draw it up ala Mullen, Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, etc. And he’s actually recruiting very good considering it’s Mizzou.
I really wanted Drinkwitz in the weeks leading up to Richt's resignation while he was still at NC State. Great coaching network as well. He's making $4 million per at Mizzou but I'd imagine his buyout would be hefty

Don't think it would be a slam dunk and a lot would depend on our commitment to the program moving forward, who the AD was going to be, etc. He's only 55 so it's a question of wanting to get to the top of the mountain or be content winning 7-8 games per year at Rutgers

Yes, but look at his history. He didn't leave Rutgers the first time for a "better" college job, he went to the NFL.

I think now that he is at "Big 10 Rutgers", he is going to be content. And, honestly, it's very possible for him to get to 10 wins per year. He's got resources now that he never had before.

There was a big article on Schiano after he got fired for the Bucs, focused on what he was looking for in his next job. Again, the man is entitled to take a better college job if that's what he really wants, but if "that Schiano" (from a few years ago) still feels the same way, I don't think he'll move on from Rutgers. I think he's happy now.

Also, he was only at UM for a couple of years. He has a MUCH stronger connection to Rutgers than Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back