Great article for the Tate haters.....

Advertisement
Miami hasn't had a truly great quarterback since Gino Torretta.

We had a run in the early 2000's when we won a bunch of games, but even Ken Dorsey wasn't that spectacular of a QB. We just had pro-bowlers at every other position - something that in this day and age will be almost impossible to replicate.

Gino was really the last great one we've had, and I don't know why that is.

But we'll never be "back" until we get back to being Quarterback U. Let's hope Enos is everything Manny thinks he is.

Advertisement
Like everyone else, I want the best QB to win. Enos is a stud QB coach whom I am quite certain will pick the right guy. But it's a discussion board, where people have opinions about which players should start. So here's mine -- Tate Martell.

I loved Williams coming out of HS, was sure he would be our next great one. Great physical attributes, accurate, well coached, super smart, good friends with all the 2018 kids. But Williams also had a dad who was omnipresent in his handling, which is always a risk factor. If it's true that he is back to slacking off a second time, with 20/20 hindsight, it points to his dad covering for mental weakness and an unmerited sense of entitlement.

I'll say this about Perry, he's definitely come on strong. But unlike Manny, my brain doesn't allow me to have a clean slate. And I still remember Perry's mental meltdowns on and off the field. The kid couldn't beat frickin Malik Rosier out, and he was abysmal at the end vs. Pitt and Wisky. I think he was 1 for 13 at one point vs. Pitt. 🤮 ... I also didn't like reading the Feeley comment that he works hard whenever he's at the weight room, which I took to mean he isn't in the weight room enough. Could be wrong about that one.

Meanwhile, Tate has done nothing but grind. Too be sure, he was reportedly atrocious for most of Spring camp. But he was the only one who did anything in the Spring game ... against our ones not against PWO secondary hacks. Tate unanimously seems to be considered the hardest worker, best student of the game, and best able to make plays under pressure. Plus he was super impressive in limited game time at Taint, and an undefeated superstar at Bishop Gorman. So good his Freshman AA TE from high school wants him to be his QB.

Note: I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time, so fvck anyone who bumps this thread to laugh at how stupid we all are at some point in the future when Peyton ends up the starter.

Like everyone else, I want the best QB to win. Enos is a stud QB coach whom I am quite certain will pick the right guy. But it's a discussion board, where people have opinions about which players should start. So here's mine -- Tate Martell.

I loved Williams coming out of HS, was sure he would be our next great one. Great physical attributes, accurate, well coached, super smart, good friends with all the 2018 kids. But Williams also had a dad who was omnipresent in his handling, which is always a risk factor. If it's true that he is back to slacking off a second time, with 20/20 hindsight, it points to his dad covering for mental weakness and an unmerited sense of entitlement.

I'll say this about Perry, he's definitely come on strong. But unlike Manny, my brain doesn't allow me to have a clean slate. And I still remember Perry's mental meltdowns on and off the field. The kid couldn't beat frickin Malik Rosier out, and he was abysmal at the end vs. Pitt and Wisky. I think he was 1 for 13 at one point vs. Pitt. 🤮 ... I also didn't like reading the Feeley comment that he works hard whenever he's at the weight room, which I took to mean he isn't in the weight room enough. Could be wrong about that one.

Meanwhile, Tate has done nothing but grind. Too be sure, he was reportedly atrocious for most of Spring camp. But he was the only one who did anything in the Spring game ... against our ones not against PWO secondary hacks. Tate unanimously seems to be considered the hardest worker, best student of the game, and best able to make plays under pressure. Plus he was super impressive in limited game time at Taint, and an undefeated superstar at Bishop Gorman. So good his Freshman AA TE from high school wants him to be his QB.

Note: I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time, so fvck anyone who bumps this thread to laugh at how stupid we all are at some point in the future when Peyton ends up the starter.
The feely quote was something people took off the end of a statement he made and posted that just to shît on perry.

Advertisement
Not to be redundant but whomever takes the first snap from the center on 8/24 gets my total support. I believe the poll we conducted here some weeks ago had Jarren as the consensus predicted starter... I chose Tate but regardless who starts... I want drives and plenty of yards each game... I have faith in Enos' and MD's choice.

Lol you guys get too divided over this. So now if you’re rooting for Tate then it means you’re not a Cane fan? Could it be they saw the QB play last year and are most confident with Mr. Outside Hire?
Lol you guys get too divided over this. So now if you’re rooting for Tate then it means you’re not a Cane fan? Could it be they saw the QB play last year and are most confident with Mr. Outside Hire?

I really dont care who is the QB but all this slurping of Martell and hate on Perry makes me pull for Perry.

Not to be redundant but whomever takes the first snap from the center on 8/24 gets my total support. I believe the poll we conducted here some weeks ago had Jarren as the consensus predicted starter... I chose Tate but regardless who starts... I want drives and plenty of yards each game... I have faith in Enos' and MD's choice.
Yeah. All of the people who thought Jarren was going to win took their talents to the Kosi hype train.
20190710_230901.jpg

As we get closer to the starting being named u see more and more reports being written praising Tate. There's obviously some chatter coming from inside the program. Jarren not competing like I thought he would really ****ed me off. Let's hope Kosi is still going at Tate's neck. I've known Tate would start from day one but I did not want it handed to him.

Yeah. All of the people who thought Jarren was going to win took their talents to the Kosi hype train.
View attachment 89904

As we get closer to the starting being named u see more and more reports being written praising Tate. There's obviously some chatter coming from inside the program. Jarren not competing like I thought he would really ****ed me off. Let's hope Kosi is still going at Tate's neck. I've known Tate would start from day one but I did not want it handed to him.
Poor Kosi he wasn't getting much respect here. Key...when was this poll conducted?

Advertisement
Based on poll thinking that Williams would be the starter reveals how little a good amount of our posters know about football. I’ll be generous and say maybe 25% of cis posters understand the complexity of college football. The remainder of posters never played organized football in high school or college and are clueless about how to evaluate a player or understand intricacies of offense and defense.

Advertisement
Before the spring game. Beginning of April. So basically people saw Jarren have one bad spring game and jumped ship.
Just for shiits and grins a poll needs to be conducted again and then repeated just before the announcement just to keep off-season drama alive.

Are there really any Tate haters here?

Seems like 95% of posters just want the best guy to step up, earn the job and execute, regardless who it is.

This is a giant myth. If the "best guy" in camp is Blaine Gabbert and you know it's a mirage and he will revert to being Blaine Gabbert in games, why would you want him to win the job? Likewise if you fear Tate is too small/can't throw, Jarren is unprepared or N'kosi is a poor decision maker who struggles under duress then the same applies. Personally I don't trust N'kosi and that will remain the case until I see him change with my own eyes. His issues are innate and unlikely to resolve regardless of his arm talent. So it follows that I don't want him to win the job.

Miami hasn't had a truly great quarterback since Gino Torretta.

We had a run in the early 2000's when we won a bunch of games, but even Ken Dorsey wasn't that spectacular of a QB. We just had pro-bowlers at every other position - something that in this day and age will be almost impossible to replicate.

Gino was really the last great one we've had, and I don't know why that is.

But we'll never be "back" until we get back to being Quarterback U. Let's hope Enos is everything Manny thinks he is.
I disagree. Dorsey was the difference. In 1999 when he took over for Kelly we looked like a different team. Dorsey usually made good decisions quickly and had a fairly accurate arm. That is a big part of the reason he rarely got sacked and our team began to score lots of points. Dorsey used the middle of the field and play action to shred teams. Dude was legit.

Advertisement
Back