Grade the Moves

What do you think?

• Total voters
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dennis Erickson would have loved the hire. He would have put a bar on the practice field and would have had Banda mixing drinks for him.

We don't know how things work behind the scenes. Banda might have been Manny's right hand man and the d might not miss a beat. Just have to see and hope for the best.

I’ll vote later.

We need an OC that can carry new DCs in a learning curve. Like Kendal Briles for example. He carried Dorito for crying out loud.

I don’t think the promotions are bad.
The risk is bad when coupled w an offense that had to be carried by defense for several years now. Our defense is going to take a step back, at least a little, and we have zero margin for error.

Hire an OC like Briles or Jeff Scott and this could turn out an A+ move in a few years. Like at Clemson when Morris left. But they had a Venables defense to carry the risk. We don’t have an offense that is capable of that right now.

Status quo on Offense, this is a D move next season.

Way too many chefs not enough cooks on the staff. Seems like the buddy system in play to pay your friends a good salary and make them happy. Worried that not establishing a proper hierarchy and giving almost every coach a title above position coach could cause infighting, unless it is truly about paying is buddies more money, and not for their input into the position.

To me the DC move show his reluctance to change. Yes, the defense was great least year, but can Patke or Banda motivate them as Diaz did. Can they adjust the defense to the ever changing player moves of college football? How will the loss of Willis and possibly junior or two effect the performance of the D and are Banda and Patke ready for the challenge of P5 coordinators. UF and Mullen are their first test, **** of a time for a learning curve that I am sure will be fed as an excuse if things go south early next September.

If we truly had DC's beating down the door to coach here, big names recruiting against us, this was a poor move at best. Perhaps it pans out, but it has a greater chance of failure, and this is something that the program cannot afford. For Richt it is boom or bust, he get paid either way, for the program though, how much longer can it withstand underperformance and keep a fan base? Also, for Richt, if this does not solidify his feelings about offensive changes you need to open your eyes. He is resistant to change at all cost. He is stubborn enough to grab a glass of brandy, sit in his captains chair and go down with the ship rather than change direction to avoid the iceberg.

Blake James is asleep at the wheel apparently. His programs are failing, he could not keep what appears to be the best coach on the staff, and now he signs off on this experiment?

Advertisement
D. I was thinking F, but I'm bumping it up hoping we can snag a couple of Croots with the "continuity of staff" persuasion.

I don't hate this move if, and only if, we use the funds saved to go out and get an OC/QB coach and throw John Richt on ST. Diaz has been middle of the road or slightly above average before coming to Miami. I sincerely think a ton of his success came from the position coaches he hired. I no doubt think they helped make adjustments during games and definitely coached these guys up.

On Patke, he has been with Diaz for over 5 years and all he knows is this system (which is great). Patke's progression is no different than Dillingham during his tenure at Memphis. He was a grad assistant for the longest time and then got promoted to QBs. Then a year later OC. A ton of you guys were okay with hiring Dillingham who had one season under his belt as OC. Dillingham is now at Auburn. Rumors are that Patke knows his **** and helped design/scheme on D. At times, Romeo Finley looked like the best-coached player on the D. Supposedly recruits like him as a coach but I haven't seen him close on anyone big. I am going to hold judgment for a season or two until I jump ship.

On Banda. He has worked for Strong and Diaz. He is our best recruiter and he has put the most players in the NFL out of all of our coaches since he got there. For the same reasons as Patke above, I will give him a year or two. I wouldn't expect a scheme or system change, so no excuses for installation.

We absolutely have to hire an OC. There's no excuse not to. Icing on the cake would be getting rid of Searles. I don't think Searles is as bad as we think when it comes to coaching. I think it appears worse than it is because of Richt's system. He doesn't seem like a stud recruiter though. We need to move to the spread. If he fire him, worst-case scenario is we lose a 2 star recruit.

Advertisement
Dude... u don’t hire somebody to coordinate a defense whose never coordinated a defense.

You are correct.. the decision should’ve been searched out. Since we know these men haven’t done this job, then obviously richt was unable to search anything out.

First time coordinators are hired at mid majors.. not at UM.
Dudes are begging for Corey Raymond so this cuts against that logic.

On Patke, he has been with Diaz for over 5 years and all he knows is this system (which is great). Patke's progression is no different than Dillingham during his tenure at Memphis. He was a grad assistant for the longest time and then got promoted to QBs. Then a year later OC. A ton of you guys were okay with hiring Dillingham who had one season under his belt as OC. Dillingham is now at Auburn. Rumors are that Patke knows his **** and helped design/scheme on D. At times, Romeo Finley looked like the best-coached player on the D. Supposedly recruits like him as a coach but I haven't seen him close on anyone big. I am going to hold judgment for a season or two until I jump ship.

Comparing Patke to Dillingham is almost as dumb as Richt promoting these *** clowns to run the defense.

Dudes are begging for Corey Raymond so this cuts against that logic.

I think they’re saying if u have to hire someone w no coordinator experience, hire Raymond. I think most people prefer a known quantity.

Also keep in mind that we just hired as a defensive coordinator somebody w less than a year paid coaching experience. That’s nuts!!

Advertisement
I think they’re saying if u have to hire someone w no coordinator experience, hire Raymond. I think most people prefer a known quantity.

Also keep in mind that we just hired as a defensive coordinator somebody w less than a year paid coaching experience. That’s nuts!!
Raymond has never called a defense. He's known as CB and recruiting. What makes him a known quantity at DC?

We don't know the importance of Patke and Banda in constructing gameplans, etc. Everyone is just speculating either way. Clearly these guys are highly regarded. Only our fans are panicking. Richt's worst hire here has been his son and Searles. Haven't been given a reason to worry about defense.

Comparing Patke to Dillingham is almost as dumb as Richt promoting these *** clowns to run the defense.

How is it any different? Dillingham is just a year ahead on the progression. Patke a year behind. If Patke does well this year as Co-DC and the defense doesn't drop off, he and dillingham would have had eerily similar progressions.

Never did I say Patke would be successful this upcoming year. Just said I wouldn't jump ship until after next season.

Richt not hiring an OC who calls plays is the biggest disservice to team success right now.

Raymond has never called a defense. He's known as CB and recruiting. What makes him a known quantity at DC?

We don't know the importance of Patke and Banda in constructing gameplans, etc. Everyone is just speculating either way. Clearly these guys are highly regarded. Only our fans are panicking. Richt's worst hire here has been his son and Searles. Haven't been given a reason to worry about defense.
Read again what I wrote....

If richt must hire a virgin dc, then hire Raymond. IOW they’d rather have an Aranda, but if the coach is set on going another direction, make or ray.

I’m actually not worried about his D hires. He’s done well most of his career that side of the ball. But those who don’t like it have good reason.. why not hire a known quantity? Why risk it?

Also.. Patke has 8 months coaching experience. Cmon that’s a lil crazy to make him dc.

Advertisement
Back