Golden Quote of Recruiting

Advertisement
Classic post.

People on the internet love stars, period. They will try to wrap it up and cover it with window dressing and other nonsense to deny it, but most of the time it comes back to people here trust guys who are unqualified and unemployable in any sort of football role on any level, and aren't employable by any real journalistic entity.

The NFL gets to watch 4 years of ABC, CBS, ESPN and coaches tape of fully developed players, they get to work them out, poke them, prod them, ask them idiotic questions, explore their minds... and they hit about 50% in the draft. Yet we trust failed mailmen who watch 3 minutes of JR year tape? I still find this astounding.

Save your outrage, I am not pointing fingers, and its just my opinion from 15 years or so of reading this stuff. The internet football rankings and rating should be treated as a novelty, a diversion, something fun, no more.

The highest ranked class in UM history was literally our worst (consensus #1under Erickson). And I am not exaggerating. I am not saying it didn't live up to expectations.. I am literally saying it was the very worst class in UM history. What a dichotomy, eh?

You gotta let your coach do his thing. If we were landing 20 kids in January I'd worry more. But the fact that we took a lot of these kids early in the cycle should tell you we got kids we wanted. I'd also point out that after LOI day last year (and also by some indirect references this year) Golden has specifically pointed out some kids he was excited about that were very lowly rated by the services. But we have no reason to doubt yet. Golden pulled in a really solid class in 7 weeks in the middle of a ****show last year. The class he "inherited" had three kids committed. I've NEVER seen anything like that. Usually you have 16-18 kids committed and you get to hold onto 12 of them or so. He basically started from scratch in December. Nuts. So to me, the early returns on his ability to recruit, his work ethic his process, his communication, his relationship building, his positivity, and his results to date, point to success.

Have fun with it, but all the empirical evidence, IMHO, shows me that this guy can recruit, and develop. I'm excited to watch it unfold. If it goes bad, I will be disappointed. But me and the mailmen don't know better. My 2 cents.

Man Please...Golden is reaching....How many no star kids ever amounted to anything for Miami? This guy sucks balls...We hope hes gonna be good because thats all we have is hope so you ******* cling to it like a ******* fly to ****..your too scared to admit that Hunter wells sucks balls, Richard alexis also sucks balls, danny dillard sux balls...This ish is stupid..None of these guys willl ever play here but it hurts our depth we are building the depth of a Mac team... if these guys have to play we are ****ed

IMO rivals point rating system ( as opposed to star rating) is the most accurate indication of who'll impact here, with a rating of 5.7 as a benchmark. (If you go back through the last five, six years, its interesting.)

that said two things stand out: first if you go back through those years a very high percentage of the top most rated players don't pan out for reasons not associated with talent, e.g. grooms, storm johnson, aldarius johnson, etc. what this means to me is i'd rather have a 5.7 player here for five years who contributes as a team player and develops over five years, than a 5.9 or 6.0 who
don't show up figuratively or litterally.

second, rivals has all this year's recruits -save one- three stars or higher, with 16 rated 5.7 or higher. so i don't think this is a "no stars" class and based on prior years evaluations it doesn't seem to me goden is reaching at all, particularly when the great majority of the lesser ranked kids were evaluated in person by the coaching staff.

it well may be that the staff, golden certainly included, is mistaken but i don't think they are reaching. i think they're trying to get a recruit who will come here with the understanding and intention that he will have to work his *** off, develop his skill set and compete: see, streeter v. a johnson.

fsu gets the "stars", texas gets em, UF gets em, and they have for years and years, none are even playing for their conference champinonship. temple, yeah temple, put guys into the league last year drafted ahead of our much more highly rated recruits.

if we have five years to work on some of these "non head-case" recruits (see, tyler horn second team all acc) we'll do just fine, i'd rather have a dewey than a brissette.

This is my problem with the star system and even the "point" system that both rivals and ESPN combine with their easy-to-focus-on star ratings...

They are given out by evaluators without a dearth of real experience and they very much lack depth...couple that with the insane amount of "politickin" that comes with these star ratings...it just makes me not care at all about where a kid grades out on the sites. There are obvious studs every year...but outside of the major BCS programs with high subscriber counts, players don't really get evaluated by actual ability, they get evaluated by their offer list.

Just an example...

Doug Martin, RB, Boise State.

Guy was 5'9" 195lb RB from Stockton, California. Camped at Washington and Cal, ran in the 4.4's. Ran for big yards his junior and senior seasons. Not even rated by scout or rivals. We're not talkin' bout an unknown commodity here.

Just shows me that in evaluating these kids, even the local guys who watch these kids a little closer, just don't do all of their homework, and that only a fraction of the players are even looked at. I can't get behind something that's incomplete like that.

Advertisement
This is my problem with the star system and even the "point" system that both rivals and ESPN combine with their easy-to-focus-on star ratings...

They are given out by evaluators without a dearth of real experience and they very much lack depth...couple that with the insane amount of "politickin" that comes with these star ratings...it just makes me not care at all about where a kid grades out on the sites. There are obvious studs every year...but outside of the major BCS programs with high subscriber counts, players don't really get evaluated by actual ability, they get evaluated by their offer list.

Just an example...

Doug Martin, RB, Boise State.

Guy was 5'9" 195lb RB from Stockton, California. Camped at Washington and Cal, ran in the 4.4's. Ran for big yards his junior and senior seasons. Not even rated by scout or rivals. We're not talkin' bout an unknown commodity here.

Just shows me that in evaluating these kids, even the local guys who watch these kids a little closer, just don't do all of their homework, and that only a fraction of the players are even looked at. I can't get behind something that's incomplete like that.
I have a different view here.

If you could really know a kid's offer list, that would be a pretty darn good basis for ranking them. It'd be like the analyst consensus cores for company earnings that Wall St. looks to. So to the extent that the 'offers' a kid has are accurately reported and reflected in the rankings, IMO that's useful information. Because the schools giving those offers are much better at evaluating kids than the internet sites are. So it's a consensus ranking. I'd actually prefer the rankings based on that criteria alone, because it would be clearer. What would be missed is there are kids who have fewer offers for reasons (early commitments, less exposure, injured as a junior, injured during camp season, late developers, changed schools, coach doesn't hype them, etc.). But that's okay. There are plenty of extraneous factors in the rankings already. The biggest challenge with the pure offer-list rankings, though, is that it's non-verifiable and self-reported (kids claim offers) and schools can't confirm so it's purely speculation. Some high school coaches will confirm but others will hype their kids.

Anyhow, my point is that there's a lot of information contained in the list of who's offered a kid. And that information is probably more telling than the 'evaluations' the recruiting sites do on their own, which are grossly biased by which schools are said to be interested in a kid (these are entertainment sites, mind you) and which are done by people who aren't professional evaluators in any case.

Im a senior at Gulliver Prep in Miami and I saw Golden talking to the football coach. From rumors I heard he was talking to the coach about Stacey Thomas Jr DE/WR. Kid is an athlete. Destroys on the football field, basketball court, and baseball field. I also heard he was talking to the coach about Bo Ellis Jr RB. Short but strong and fast runner. Golden is definitely putting in work and from what I heard from the football players is that he is a funny guy too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Manny_NavarroManny Navarro

#Stopped by Booker T. High today after #UM coach Al Golden passed by to see QB Treon Harris & talented group of underclassmen

Advertisement
I think not going to a bowl is going to be good for us. One, we don't get another embarrassment with this group of seniors and two, Golden has a jump on other staffs to really get into the schools in South Florida and do some work, not only for this year, but for the future.

Advertisement
Back