Golden Quote of Recruiting

And exactly what is your evidence that Golden is simply settling and not taking players he wants???? My point is that in this thread alone, the subject has been followed with the phrase "its a fact" when nothing can show that its more than hypothetical nonsense. Funny you mention a waste of bandwidth cause there is plenty of it being trolled up by certain people. Thanks for your hints and clues but Im not the one who needs a lesson on the difference between actual reality and personal preception. I dont need someone to state that its their opinion when its obvious from the post itself, but I also dont buy delusion based on being butthurt over old coaches and their firing.
Actually, you mongoloid, I've been someone saying he is going after the players he wants rather than settling. You might want to learn to read before spouting off like a pompous fool. in any case, thanks for adding nothing to the thread. I may disagree with some of the other posters, but I have no trouble understanding their perspective. You seem incapable of even understanding their point. There's home on grassy for people who do nothing but ***** about other posters and posts. Maybe you should go check it out.

Advertisement
And actually, you overly sensitive *****, I wasnt even referring to you as the example I was talking about. So given that you felt the need to speak for others, you might want to rethink who the pompous fool is. So keep "understanding" the butthurt delusions of some who confuse fact with opinion while getting defensive over things you didnt even say. You are posting on Grassy's twin anyway so there isnt much to check out. Its not about what I agree with or disagree with, its about bringing actual substance without allowing the same Shannon trolls from Grassy to pollute new forums.

Last edited:
Moderator Statement:

Go easy on the name calling please. Im confident we can all get our point across without the use of terms like mongoloid, overly sensitive *****, etc...

Thanks.

And actually, you overly sensitive *****, I wasnt even referring to you as the example I was talking about. So given that you felt the need to speak for others, you might want to rethink who the pompous fool is. So keep "understanding" the butthurt delusions of some who confuse fact with opinion while getting defensive over things you didnt even say. You are posting on Grassy's twin anyway so there isnt much to check out. Its not about what I agree with or disagree with, its about bringing actual substance without allowing the same Shannon trolls from Grassy to pollute new forums.
And what substance have you brought to this discussion?

Normally not my place to even go this route but the way posters like BigPoppaCane operate, this place will be Grassy 2 in no time. So if my contribution were calling out trolls for what they are so that isn't the case, it's substance enough for this thread. If I'm legitimately responding to the thread you started, I'd speculate it's mostly kids Golden wanted due to how early most of the committed. Also, to how quickly a kid like Terry came in after Brown left. Maybe it was coincidence but it seemed more like part of a plan. Guys come and go, and others replace the ones that go. Whether or not the replacements were simply kids to settle on is speculation but given how quickly it happened it seems this was more the case of a kid who was well on the radar to begin with. I'm not a star guy at all, learned my lesson with the 08 class. It's all about production on the field and trusting the evaluations of the ones who jobs are on the line making them.

It's when posters like PBC add stupid comments cause their boy was rightfully kicked to the curb that things get stupid. There is absolutely nothing to understand except their agenda and I do apologize if I didn't make that clear. Seeing an actual moderator is already a nice change.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Normally not my place to even go this route but the way posters like BigPoppaCane operate, this place will be Grassy 2 in no time. So if my contribution were calling out trolls for what they are so that isn't the case, it's substance enough for this thread. If I'm legitimately responding to the thread you started, I'd speculate it's mostly kids Golden wanted due to how early most of the committed. Also, to how quickly a kid like Terry came in after Brown left. Maybe it was coincidence but it seemed more like part of a plan. Guys come and go, and others replace the ones that go. Whether or not the replacements were simply kids to settle on is speculation but given how quickly it happened it seems this was more the case of a kid who was well on the radar to begin with. I'm not a star guy at all, learned my lesson with the 08 class. It's all about production on the field and trusting the evaluations of the ones who jobs are on the line making them.

It's when posters like PBC add stupid comments cause their boy was rightfully kicked to the curb that things get stupid. There is absolutely nothing to understand except their agenda and I do apologize if I didn't make that clear. Seeing an actual moderator is already a nice change.

05, stick to the topic at hand and ignore those you feel add nothing to the conversation. Actually use the ignore feature, it's there for a reason. We (Mods) know who the trouble makers are and they will be dealt with. We don't need posters trying to moderate the board.

People always point to those 2 and 3-star types from SFL that we passed on and *****. You know what I am talking about. You're watching Purdue, VT, Ole Miss, WVU, etc, and some kid we barely remember makes a big play and the stats comes up and you realize that baller is from Plantation or Homestead or something and we all retroactively complain about how we let him get away.

Al Golden is identifying and signing those kids. Enjoy it. He's bringing in a mix of highly recruited kids as well as a bunch of high effort junkyard dogs and physical specimens. It's a great mix. I think a lot of us have faith in big time Florida football. Golden obviously does too.

Advertisement
Just for the record,a lot of the kids from the Purdue's ,VT's, and WVU's were kids that people were screaming for out of high school. At least, on the recruiting boards that I've been on they were.

With that said,I get the point that you are attempting to make.

Just for the record,a lot of the kids from the Purdue's ,VT's, and WVU's were kids that people were screaming for out of high school. At least, on the recruiting boards that I've been on they were.

It's both. Kids the recruiting boards wanted that the past regimes would overlook. Golden's going after those kids for the most part, IMO. Not in the sense he's following the boards, just in philosophy. But he's going past that. He's looking for sleepers and role players and maybe taking some kids that the recruiting boards (speaking of people who actually watch and cover fla Hs fb) don't think much of. That worries me. But like we've discussed, it's going to come down to evaluations, pure and simple.

Then I assume you are thrilled with his strategy?

I think he's making a different point, which is that a lot of the kids who 'got away' were just blow evals by the past two staffs and shouldn't have gotten away. As a result, it sounds to me like 1775 thinks we should get those kids, surely, but also compete for many of the top rated kids. I'd guess he'll be happy to see us sign the kids we should locally, but might be concerned we're being too cute in trying to find sleepers relative to more widely recruited kids.

Advertisement

Basically, what esf said. Right now, I think some of the kids we're taking are not the kids that people were clamoring for (the Allen's,the Hosley's, etc) but instead the kids that had people scratching their heads as to why we took them (the Perry's, the Marti's, the Wylie's,etc).

I must be missing something. While I do understand the need for the 4 and 5 star players, didn't I just get through watching a game where the #1 recruiting class in 2008 under performed and got it's *** handed to it?.... and have their whole career here? And weren't all of us thrilled that we got 'em? (OK, most of us). And while I do believe a large portion of the blame falls on coaching, I don't think all of it is. The talent wasn't there... at least not the talent we are used to... but the stars were. Jacory might have been coached to protect the ball better, but I doubt it would have added much zip to his passes and or his decision making when he got pressure. And while I may be one of the ones on here complaining about 2012 and the recruiting class in 2014, TODAY I will say I would rather have Golden and staff evaluate players during the camps and then deciding on who he wants. I put a lot more trust in that. And yeah, we might end up in the same place we are today.... but I am willing to give him a break on his first class at least. Give me players that have heart and will bust their butts to be on the field. And I'm not saying all those 4 and 5 star from the 2008 class didn't bust their ***.... I'm just saying that team success in high school and who is recruiting them can cloud rankings.

I don't think anyone here misunderstands that (a) motor and character matter; and (b) it's about evaluations. Time will tell how good an evaluator AG is. However, some are concerned that he's seemingly been too cute in some of his reaches relative to alternatives. I know there are some kids we took commitments from that some very knowledgable fla hs types think are very unlikely to cut it at UM. And these are commentators who were for the most part both spot-on on all the kids we overlooked the past decade, and spot-on on the kids we took who we shouldn't have. As a result, some are naturally skeptical at this point, particularly in the wake of all the kids Randy took who we similarly heard were overlooked warriors, but who turned out just to be not good.

Personally, I've defended ag's approach for the most part this year. And I'm optimistic on him as an evaluator. But I do understand e concern early critics are expressing. I can't say they're wrong. Time will tell.

Advertisement
ES, I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. I remember seeing a post on grassy about the potential of 5 stars as opposed to 4 as opposed to.... and on down the line and it did show that success did follow the star rankings. And I'll be the first to tell you, while I am not a "casual" fan, I don't have the knowledge that some on these boards have. I guess, like most, I just want to see a good mix because we do need strong depth and if that is what Golden is setting up.... well, OK, I'll go with that. Saying that, I want the MNC next year and not 5 years from now (but don't expect it). But there is also something to be said for bringing in kids that will bust their butts to play, bring back the hard work tradition that we used to be known for (remember when the Olineman would meet during the summer and push the truck around?) and when the games were the easiest part of the week? We haven't had that in a long time. Not sure Golden is going to get there, but if he can do it by bringing in these kids who'll work hard and then teach that to the next class and hold them accountable for doing so.... well, we may not be building for next year, but maybe in a few we can have a run like Ala. and LSU are doing now.... or what we did in the 80's and 90's. But who knows, I know am hoping what I want to see.... and maybe it is that Golden is just a bad evaluator... only time will tell.

People on the internet love stars, period. They will try to wrap it up and cover it with window dressing and other nonsense to deny it, but most of the time it comes back to people here trust guys who are unqualified and unemployable in any sort of football role on any level, and aren't employable by any real journalistic entity.

The NFL gets to watch 4 years of ABC, CBS, ESPN and coaches tape of fully developed players, they get to work them out, poke them, prod them, ask them idiotic questions, explore their minds... and they hit about 50% in the draft. Yet we trust failed mailmen who watch 3 minutes of JR year tape? I still find this astounding.

Save your outrage, I am not pointing fingers, and its just my opinion from 15 years or so of reading this stuff. The internet football rankings and rating should be treated as a novelty, a diversion, something fun, no more.

The highest ranked class in UM history was literally our worst (consensus #1under Erickson). And I am not exaggerating. I am not saying it didn't live up to expectations.. I am literally saying it was the very worst class in UM history. What a dichotomy, eh?

You gotta let your coach do his thing. If we were landing 20 kids in January I'd worry more. But the fact that we took a lot of these kids early in the cycle should tell you we got kids we wanted. I'd also point out that after LOI day last year (and also by some indirect references this year) Golden has specifically pointed out some kids he was excited about that were very lowly rated by the services. But we have no reason to doubt yet. Golden pulled in a really solid class in 7 weeks in the middle of a ****show last year. The class he "inherited" had three kids committed. I've NEVER seen anything like that. Usually you have 16-18 kids committed and you get to hold onto 12 of them or so. He basically started from scratch in December. Nuts. So to me, the early returns on his ability to recruit, his work ethic his process, his communication, his relationship building, his positivity, and his results to date, point to success.

Have fun with it, but all the empirical evidence, IMHO, shows me that this guy can recruit, and develop. I'm excited to watch it unfold. If it goes bad, I will be disappointed. But me and the mailmen don't know better. My 2 cents.

I've never been a fan of the star rankings...I just don't see the legitimacy in them...the evaluations aren't made by those with much legitimacy, and the curtain has been pulled back on why a lot of the kids are ranked the way they are ranked and the illegitimacy behind it all. There is a correlation between recruiting rankings and success, yes...but it doesn't show causation, IMO.

Shapiro hurt us and we are scraping the bottom of the god**** barrel. We're turning into a better branded version of FAU.

smh...and the Shapiro thing put us behind the 8-ball this year. Hopefully, next year's class will be free from that hanging over us.

Advertisement
Back