Tears Gator Tears

I mean I wouldn't say it can't happen but let's look at the possible suiters. ESPN has the 2024-2034 deal currently set at $3B. The same $3B that CBS balked at. Maybe Fox might jump into the fray but they lost their *** already betting on Texas and OU when they bought big12 rights. They might still be gun shy. NBC doesn't care. Not sure who else can pony up nearly that kind of money. Also, it hasn't really been brought up but the Longhorn network has been a huge flop. That might take some shine off their appeal.

Advertisement
Well of course they want to add the other two teams, I just don’t see why they would pay more than the $3B the contract is already for. Let’s say the SEC says “hey we added Texas and OU, we need more TV money” and ESPN says “well we already have a deal for 3 billion”. Is someone else gonna jump in and offer more than 3 billion dollars?

The SEC isn't going to dilute their $ to accept more teams. They are adding teams to INCREASE their take. ESPN understands this, and knows they need to pay up to make this happen for them to take OU and Texas AWAY from the Fox Big 12 package. Remember ESPN is already paying Texas $15M a year for the Longhorn Network, which will get rolled up into this deal. And yes, ESPN will get an ROI because they will have more games, which means more high-revenue tentpole games, which means more advertising dollars, and it strengthens their product lineup which will mean they will be able to charge cable companies, streaming subscribers, etc. more in the future.

The SEC isn't going to dilute their $ to accept more teams. They are adding teams to INCREASE their take. ESPN understands this, and knows they need to pay up to make this happen for them to take OU and Texas AWAY from the Fox Big 12 package. Remember ESPN is already paying Texas $15M a year for the Longhorn Network, which will get rolled up into this deal. And yes, ESPN will get an ROI because they will have more games, which means more high-revenue tentpole games, which means more advertising dollars, and it strengthens their product lineup which will mean they will be able to charge cable companies, streaming subscribers, etc. more in the future.
But who is ESPN bidding against? I don't doubt the opportunities to make money (Longhorn Network was a huge flop that ESPN will be feeling for years) but in order to demand more money, there has to be someone else who's offering it.

But who is ESPN bidding against? I don't doubt the opportunities to make money (Longhorn Network was a huge flop that ESPN will be feeling for years) but in order to demand more money, there has to be someone else who's offering it.
I don’t have an answer but I can’t imagine that the SEC would expand to dilute their per school revenues.

Man, if you don’t think fox wants the rights to the sec superconference, I don’t know what to tell you. It’d probably be worth as much as their nfl deal.

Advertisement

No. You're looking at it wrong. The SEC won't add teams if the money isn't there to support it. So sure, in your example, ESPN can say "we won't pay more for the package if you add these teams because you can't get another bid from anyone," and the SEC can say "ok, no worries we won't add them," and then Fox keeps the Tier 1 Big 12 package which includes Texas and OU, and ESPN doesn't get what they want. No one else CAN bid for it, as ESPN has the rights. But that doesn't matter.

The only thing that is going on here is TV money. Does ESPN want to increase the subscription value and advertising revenue of their SEC deal by adding OU and UT to their SEC package while also crushing Fox Sports? 1000% yes. Are they willing to pay for it? Of course. Will it happen if they don't pay for it? No.

Man, if you don’t think fox wants the rights to the sec superconference, I don’t know what to tell you. It’d probably be worth as much as their nfl deal.
There is a point of diminishing returns though. TV contracts have gone up and up and up but there's got to be a point where the return can't match the cost. ESPN has had massive layoffs and huge budget cuts in recent years. Mostly because they overpaid for TV rights. There's no doubt that the SEC, even as it stands right now is a huge money maker but college football, in general doesn't sniff the NFL in popularity.

No. You're looking at it wrong. The SEC won't add teams if the money isn't there to support it. So sure, in your example, ESPN can say "we won't pay more for the package if you add these teams because you can't get another bid from anyone," and the SEC can say "ok, no worries we won't add them," and then Fox keeps the Tier 1 Big 12 package which includes Texas and OU, and ESPN doesn't get what they want. No one else CAN bid for it, as ESPN has the rights. But that doesn't matter.

The only thing that is going on here is TV money. Does ESPN want to increase the subscription value and advertising revenue of their SEC deal by adding OU and UT to their SEC package while also crushing Fox Sports? 1000% yes. Are they willing to pay for it? Of course. Will it happen if they don't pay for it? No.
SEC can add whoever they want as long as the team is "A list".
20210727_163235.jpg

Advertisement

The Longhorn Network flopped because it only had the lower tier UT football games. There are only a few good Big 12 matchups a year and none are on the LHN. The problem is the Big 12 does not have a compelling roster of schools which is why this is all happening. The LHN content was poor, and Texas wasn't very good of late making matters worse. But Texas is Texas. HUGE resources, HUGE following, huge school in a CFB crazy state. More valuable than A&M. Put Texas in the SEC and broadcast Texas vs. Auburn, UGA, Bama, LSU, (and add the OU game), the top tier of SEC programs, and you have compelling, and most importantly from a broadcast perspective, valuable content. Similar for OU.

Also, this will actually get ESPN out of the Longhorn Network deal.

Advertisement
ESPN or Fox or whomever are willing to pay these type of deals cause they not only make money from the contracts but they’re also able to sell their other programing which in itself is worth its weight in gold.As those programs get more Viewers it means higher advertising fees which makes them more money.

As has been said several times the SEC isn’t adding teams if they haven’t already talked to ESPN to make sure their contract can be amended and it will be without any of the present teams losing a dime..you can bet that dime on that..

Love how at the end of that article they basically said the ACC is f*cked.

Even before the Big 10 rumor stuff started I laid out a case for why Miami (and the ACC) could be in real trouble, and how we do to control our own destiny. Its in the big thread. Where this should be lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back