Tears Gator Tears

I would think that as well but someone said there was some talks about them joining ACC or even Pac at one point as well.

Arkansas A&M and Mizzou are gonna vote no.

I think Texas used the Pac-12 talk as leverage in their contract with Big 12. But it would be quite interesting to see it get blocked after all this

Advertisement
This is why I think you might see this get blocked. The commissioner is really gonna have to sell this to all current schools on why this will benefit them
There’s a few reasons it might get blocked but I don’t feel like wading through the expansion thread sewer. One major reason is the middle of the road SEC teams that get to reap the benefits of the ESPN tv deal might not be that stoked about their TV appearances getting bumped down from ABC/ESPN to ESPNU/SEC network. If Texas and OU join, that’s the last you’ll see of USCe, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and others on any of the major networks.

There’s a few reasons it might get blocked but I don’t feel like wading through the expansion thread sewer. One major reason is the middle of the road SEC teams that get to reap the benefits of the ESPN tv deal might not be that stoked about their TV appearances getting bumped down from ABC/ESPN to ESPNU/SEC network. If Texas and OU join, that’s the last you’ll see of USCe, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and others on any of the major networks.
At the end of the Day Money Talk, and BS walks. If they offer a bit more money do you think these lower SEC teams care about not playing on ABC/ESPN for recurring purposes maybe yes but other than that I would say they vote Yes. But I can see Old Miss or whipping boy Miss St. saying NO.

I think Texas used the Pac-12 talk as leverage in their contract with Big 12. But it would be quite interesting to see it get blocked after all this

I actually hope it does. I dont think its good for CFB. We know preseason polls already put like 10 SEC teams in the top 25 even though some don't deserve to be ranked. This is how they skew the rankings to their favor. Add in those 2 schools and youll easily see 2-3 SEC teams every playoff.

This is why I think you might see this get blocked. The commissioner is really gonna have to sell this to all current schools on why this will benefit them
The billions upon billions of dollars won’t make it a very tough sell… to the administrations at least. The football departments at a&m and fla might raise ****, but a spoon full of Benjamins makes the medicine go down.

Advertisement
I actually hope it does. I dont think its good for CFB. We know preseason polls already put like 10 SEC teams in the top 25 even though some don't deserve to be ranked. This is how they skew the rankings to their favor. Add in those 2 schools and youll easily see 2-3 SEC teams every playoff.
We’ve seen 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff. If it goes to 12 team playoff with this conference expansion I think the minimum # will be 4 SEC teams in the playoff.

The billions upon billions of dollars won’t make it a very tough sell… to the administrations at least. The football departments at a&m and fla might raise ****, but a spoon full of Benjamins makes the medicine go down.

I agree the $$ is gonna be a big factor...

Advertisement
At the end of the Day Money Talk, and BS walks. If they offer a bit more money do you tjuhink these lower SEC teams care about not playing on ABC/ESPN for recurring purposes maybe yes but other than that I would say they vote Yes. But I can see Old Miss or whipping boy Miss St. saying NO.
Except the TV deal has already been brokered and signed. The contract between the SEC and ESPN kicks in for the 2024 season. Adding more teams to the conference just means that TV money will get divided between more teams. Just because the conference is expanding, doesn't mean their contracts automatically increase. That contract doesn't expire until 2034.

The bowl/playoff payments that get split between the entire conference could go up with two more teams making bowl games though.

Yeah but that's not how business is done. If you're smart, you already know the answer. It's like a lawyer never asking a question they already don't know the answer to. I'd make a pretty heavy wager that the SEC has already taken a straw poll. Maybe that's even how TX&AM found out about it.

Except the TV deal has already been brokered and signed. The contract between the SEC and ESPN kicks in for the 2024 season. Adding more teams to the conference just means that TV money will get divided between more teams. Just because the conference is expanding, doesn't mean their contracts automatically increase. That contract doesn't expire until 2034.

The bowl/playoff payments that get split between the entire conference could go up with two more teams making bowl games though.

Nope. When you sign these TV deals, both sides reserve the right to renegotiate if the teams change. This is why there is a lot of speculation that the ACC will do... something. To renegotiate our horrible long-term TV deal. Also, it's been said in legitimate outlets that ESPN has already assured the SEC that they will kick in for an additional split for any A-list programs that join.

We’ve seen 2 SEC teams in a 4 team playoff. If it goes to 12 team playoff with this conference expansion I think the minimum # will be 4 SEC teams in the playoff.

Yep and it could be more than 4... 10-2 or even 9-3 team gets in because you know theyll cry and scream but we are the SEC

This is 100% the way I see it. Here's the top 12 teams in the CFP rankings for Week 16 last year (4 $EC teams, not counting Oklahoma):

1AlabamaAlabama10-0-@ArkansasW52-3vs #4Notre DameW31-14
2Notre DameNotre Dame10-0--vs #1AlabamaL31-14
3ClemsonClemson9-1--vs #3Ohio StateL49-28
4Ohio StateOhio State5-0--vs #2ClemsonW49-28
5Texas A&MTexas A&M7-1--vs #13North CarolinaW41-27
6Iowa StateIowa State8-21-vs #25OregonW34-17
7FloridaFlorida8-21vsLSUL37-34vs #6OklahomaL55-20
8GeorgiaGeorgia7-21@ #25MissouriW49-14vs #8CincinnatiW24-21
9CincinnatiCincinnati8-01-vs #9GeorgiaL24-21
10OklahomaOklahoma7-21-vs #7FloridaW55-20
11IndianaIndiana6-11-vsOle MissL26-20
12Coastal CarolinaCoastal Carolina11-01@TroyW42-38vsLibertyL37-34

Advertisement
Nope. When you sign these TV deals, both sides reserve the right to renegotiate if the teams change. This is why there is a lot of speculation that the ACC will do... something. To renegotiate our horrible long-term TV deal. Also, it's been said in legitimate outlets that ESPN has already assured the SEC that they will kick in for an additional split for any A-list programs that join.
Really? It seems counter productive for ESPN to offer more when the deal is already done. It's getting to the point where they're just bidding against themselves for the rights.

What is this I’m reading here about the coaches giving up in a bowl game? I’ve never heard of coaches giving up before. Their job isn’t that hard during the game.
You didn’t know -

“That wasn’t the 2020 Florida Gators who played Oklahoma in that bowl game.”
-Dan Mullet

Advertisement
Really? It seems counter productive for ESPN to offer more when the deal is already done. It's getting to the point where they're just bidding against themselves for the rights.
Definitely. Contracts aren’t set in stone. That deal may be done, but that deal was agreed to on materially different grounds - namely, it most likely didn’t account for the revenue that might be added by bringing on the only school in the country with enough of a following to garner its own network. There is literally no reason why espn wouldn’t want to add Texas and Oklahoma. It’s a huge windfall, even if it means restructuring an already astronomical deal. And, I’d bet fox would literally kill to have that sec contract, now that two of their 4 biggest draws are going to the competition.

Screenshot_20210727-151449_Twitter.jpg

ESPN wants this to happen. They get to add TX and OU to their portfolio. They want to help it along, not block it.
Well of course they want to add the other two teams, I just don’t see why they would pay more than the $3B the contract is already for. Let’s say the SEC says “hey we added Texas and OU, we need more TV money” and ESPN says “well we already have a deal for 3 billion”. Is someone else gonna jump in and offer more than 3 billion dollars?

Well of course they want to add the other two teams, I just don’t see why they would pay more than the $3B the contract is already for. Let’s say the SEC says “hey we added Texas and OU, we need more TV money” and ESPN says “well we already have a deal for 3 billion”. Is someone else gonna jump in and offer more than 3 billion dollars?
yes!

Advertisement
Back