Garvin to the NFL

Advertisement
It's really about the second contract. Many of the players feel in their heart they can play on the next level. They are willing to throw their name in the ring, banking on the second contract.

Many college players in their Junior year understand one more year of College Ball most likely will not increase their draft status.

This is how I feel about most returning players - most will end up being about the same as Seniors as they were as Juniors.

Take our Top returning players in terms of NFL potential this year vs. last year:

DeeJay Dallas - Was better this year, but had injury problems.
Garvin, Shaq, Pinckney - About the same in 2019 as 2018.
KJ Osborne - About the same. Had 900 yds receiving at Buffalo in 2018, had 500 yds receiving at Miami in 2019
Jeff Thomas & Bandy - Seemed to regress, or at least didn't have as good years in 2019 as 2018

I agree staying gives you another shot at a big year, and you should be stronger & more mature. But there's also a real risk of injury, or not putting up big numbers. I think too many fans work under the assumption that everyone returning has a big Senior year.

I'd say of our NFL projected players - 1 was better this year, 4 were about the same, 2 showed some regression or just had down years.

I wish him well.

Shows how bad this team has become......when players are willing to risk making a poor career choice VS. coming back to suffer another miserable year under Diaz

Better focus hard & shape up for the combine ....it's your best chance to get drafted in a good position

Advertisement
Garvin will test well and will be in the top 10 of DEs when it comes to testing. When scouts look at the film they'll see an explosive athlete at the DE position period. Good luck Youngblood. This isn't a South Florida kid problem this is a staff issue, and if I was him I wouldn't want to be apart of this circus anymore. You can tell just off production alone our DL was being coached to do something totally different the Florida game showed that. Garvin looked like a spy. We played a few Dual Threat QBs, so he did his job. Numbers and production was supposed to be down.

Advertisement
Statistically speaking he won’t reach a second contract, I hate that argument as a justification for leaving early. He has a lower chance of sticking with a team and seeing contract #2 by leaving early and missing out on another year of competition and development in the weight room.
Excellent point.

On top of that, you have a much smaller chance of making a team as a low round pick than you do as a 1st or 2nd rounder. You get less looks in preseason games as a late rounder, and teams are much more forgiving of high round picks, as they don’t want to admit making a mistake by cutting a 1st or 2nd round pick.

If a team drafts a DE in the 1st and then Garvin in the 5th, who do you think is getting cut if both guys are fairly even?

Excellent point.

On top of that, you have a much smaller chance of making a team as a low round pick than you do as a 1st or 2nd rounder. You get less looks in preseason games as a late rounder, and teams are much more forgiving of high round picks, as they don’t want to admit making a mistake by cutting a 1st or 2nd round pick.

If a team drafts a DE in the 1st and then Garvin in the 5th, who do you think is getting cut if both guys are fairly even?

Baffles my mind that people don't understand this. Higher round picks get WAY more leeway.

CIS logic:

1.Garvin should stay and improve his draft status

2. Miami has the worst Corchin Staph in the P5

Advertisement
Baffles my mind that people don't understand this. Higher round picks get WAY more leeway.

Shaq and pick stayed 4 years and regressed beyond belief, also what’s the highest draft pick has defensive staff ever produced?

Too many dummies getting advised by greedy shortsighted dummies. It’s a recipe for constant repeating disaster.

These guys talking about second contracts are putting the cart so far ahead of the horse. They never factor in how hard it is for low round or UDFA to get looks and to overcome the chances teams give higher picks.

A couple years ago, the Lions drafted a bum *** Gaytor DB early. They knew immediately he was trash but couldn’t cut him because they fcked up drafting him so high. So they deactivated him.

@DMoney what do you think the defensive end rotation is gonna be with Hill and Garvin declining to play in the bowl. Obviously Patchen and Greg but who after that?

Jaelen Phillips will be a star if he is committed and plays anything like he did as a freshman at UCLA. He looked like a future #1 overall pick.

Jahfari Harvey will also play a big role. He should get some nice work in the bowl game. Excellent talent who would have played more this year if we weren't so deep at DE.

Advertisement
Statistically speaking he won’t reach a second contract, I hate that argument as a justification for leaving early. He has a lower chance of sticking with a team and seeing contract #2 by leaving early and missing out on another year of competition and development in the weight room.

Bingo. This is the point I made for Garvin and other Cane early entrants in the past. The NFL is not a patient developmental league. If you show up to camp and you're not physically ready to compete against hungry grown men, or you lack positional skill to execute your assignment, or you can't mentally digest the playbook...you get shown the door. The 53 man roster is reserved for guys who can contribute to winning right away, with the exception of a few inactive spots for young QBs, young OL and high draft picks who start off slow. If you aren't a high draft pick and you don't have name equity you will have limited reps and coaches will give up on you if you leave them frustrated. The league is littered with disposable dudes who have to blow away teams in their limited exposures to get a shot over guys who have more invested in them.

In Garvin's case he's a journeyman-caliber athlete with very limited pass rush skills. He has 1 pass rush move (outside rip) that's not even potent and no pass rush plan. He's an ok run defender but doesn't play with relentless energy and effort like Joe Jackson so that doesn't bring value.

Shaq and pick stayed 4 years and regressed beyond belief, also what’s the highest draft pick has defensive staff ever produced?

Here you go. Chad Thomas in the 3rd.

While you can argue that's bad (especially given Miami's history). A 3rd rounder usually doesn't get cut in training camp unless he sucks and is a horrible teammate to boot. Garvin is heading on a career path where if he gets injured after the draft (even a minor injury) or doesn't blow NFL coaches away early he won't be guaranteed any money and will scrounge around for 1-3 years at tryouts, training camps, and practice squads.

Garvin needs to test very well and then impress in camp early, and not get nicked up at all.

I don’t get fans being outraged by players leaving early, I get the reasoning but not the angry feeling. Guy chose to play football for some money instead of playing for free, that is it. Now, when you get into the discussion of Garvin underperforming our expectations for him the arguments for why he should return get even more strange,

Why are fans so mad that an underperformer is leaving?
Why should he trust the staff, that helped him underperform on his money year, to get right the second time around?

I think Garvin’ season is undervalued on CIS, he was a good player just wasn’t the AA offense wrecker we expected, we will miss him next season. I fully expect him to got top 2 rounds IF he tests well on the combine.

Advertisement
Back