Garvin to the NFL

Terrible decision, in my opinion. But what else is new with this team?

Let's be honest—it's "Garvin to the NFL Draft" as this kid is a seventh rounder, at best—and quite possibly a free agent who will kick around a few years before getting a real job.

Even worse, these kids are getting good advice from coaches and experts—something Richt and crew did for McIntosh, Norton and J-Jackson—yet all three had some bullsh1t Generation Z-type attitude:

"Yeah, totally hear everything coaches and experts are saying, but despite what they're all telling me—I still feel like I'm personally ready and will be just fine, so I'm going pro."

If this kid is too ignorant to look at how this has played out for guys who went before him—then there's nothing you can do to save a kid like this. Yet another cautionary tale who will have to learn the hard way.

Advertisement

Here you go. Chad Thomas in the 3rd.

While you can argue that's bad (especially given Miami's history). A 3rd rounder usually doesn't get cut in training camp unless he sucks and is a horrible teammate to boot. Garvin is heading on a career path where if he gets injured after the draft (even a minor injury) or doesn't blow NFL coaches away early he won't be guaranteed any money and will scrounge around for 1-3 years at tryouts, training camps, and practice squads.

Garvin needs to test very well and then impress in camp early, and not get nicked up at all.

Friend

I’m not disputing that Garvin needs to stay for a better draft score but who on the staff is going to get them drafted higher??

Shaq was a FUQIN demon his freashman year and has been in the same system for 4 yrs and will probably go undrafted due to his lack of speed. This staff has shown that they can’t get it done

Friend

I’m not disputing that Garvin needs to stay for a better draft score but who on the staff is going to get them drafted higher??

Shaq was a FUQIN demon his freashman year and has been in the same system for 4 yrs and will probably go undrafted due to his lack of speed. This staff has shown that they can’t get it done

I think Miami's defensive line play and players in the NFL today almost speaks for itself honestly. Many guys who go through this program right or wrong are playing in the NFL or get interest from teams. So I would say Stroud today would be who they should pin their hopes on. Simpson and coach Kuligowski probably had more chops there but Stroud has been at Miami a year. Leaving early hurts their development because its another year of strength training and technical coaching before they go to a league where 5-10 year veteran offensive linemen have been outlifting and outpracticing these rookies for 5-10 years.

Rumph isn't a bad developer in my opinion and likely is more of a technician than most college coaches.

As for linebackers, yeah this program has a recruiting and development problem there that they may be on the path to solving in 2020 (Huff, Joyner, Brooks, recruits) but so far it hasn't been pretty. This scheme should put linebackers in the league but so far it doesn't.

Shaq can play in a 3-4 as an inside backer who leaves the field on 3rd and long, I don't know what happened there but the guy will play in the NFL.

Advertisement
If this is where Garvin's head is at, then him leaving is in everyone's best interest. Good luck, young man, I'll be pulling for you.

Doesn't seem like the staff even fought to bring him back, which makes me consider the kid's work ethic and behavior.

Then again we know the staff is full of idiots so who I won't be the one to speculate.
Well you know his work ethic isn’t there from the way he wasn’t working in games early in the season which is crazy because didn’t he win award over the season as the top cane in workouts or something like that? Really doubt his behavior is anywhere near bad

Here you go. Chad Thomas in the 3rd.

While you can argue that's bad (especially given Miami's history). A 3rd rounder usually doesn't get cut in training camp unless he sucks and is a horrible teammate to boot. Garvin is heading on a career path where if he gets injured after the draft (even a minor injury) or doesn't blow NFL coaches away early he won't be guaranteed any money and will scrounge around for 1-3 years at tryouts, training camps, and practice squads.

Garvin needs to test very well and then impress in camp early, and not get nicked up at all.

Chad is a perfect example of development. He would’ve never been a 3rd if he left as a junior. He probably would’ve been undrafted.

Joe Jackson made the 53 but he was a great, underrated player. He should’ve never been a 5th round pick and a senior year of continued production would have pushed him up higher.

Chad is a perfect example of development. He would’ve never been a 3rd if he left as a junior. He probably would’ve been undrafted.

Joe Jackson made the 53 but he was a great, underrated player. He should’ve never been a 5th round pick and a senior year of continued production would have pushed him up higher.

That extra year certainly helped chad get drafted a little higher(he had to come back because his production was so minimal in his first 2 years at Miami which isn’t exactly the same case for Jackson and to a much lesser extent garvin. Regardless happy to see chad is doing well in the league lately

Advertisement
Excellent point.

On top of that, you have a much smaller chance of making a team as a low round pick than you do as a 1st or 2nd rounder. You get less looks in preseason games as a late rounder, and teams are much more forgiving of high round picks, as they don’t want to admit making a mistake by cutting a 1st or 2nd round pick.

If a team drafts a DE in the 1st and then Garvin in the 5th, who do you think is getting cut if both guys are fairly even?

I agree with the points that Seniors are better prepared, and 1-3rd Rounders get way more leeway than 5-7th Rounders.

But if Garvin is a 5th Rounder this year, or came back and was a 5th Rounder next year - what's the difference?

Garvin's draft stock staying similar his Senior year is probably a more realistic outcome that making a huge jump.

Here's an argument for coming back another season... Did Garvin graduate?

Because if he didn't. He would have been offered a free education worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in a field of his choice and chose to get nothing out of it. It would be nice to have something to fall back on.

Jaelen Phillips will be a star if he is committed and plays anything like he did as a freshman at UCLA. He looked like a future #1 overall pick.

Jahfari Harvey will also play a big role. He should get some nice work in the bowl game. Excellent talent who would have played more this year if we weren't so deep at DE.
So we are only three deep at defensive end Greg patchen and Harvey for the bowl game correct?

Advertisement
Garvin will test well and will be in the top 10 of DEs when it comes to testing. When scouts look at the film they'll see an explosive athlete at the DE position period. Good luck Youngblood. This isn't a South Florida kid problem this is a staff issue, and if I was him I wouldn't want to be apart of this circus anymore. You can tell just off production alone our DL was being coached to do something totally different the Florida game showed that. Garvin looked like a spy. We played a few Dual Threat QBs, so he did his job. Numbers and production was supposed to be down.
SMH our fans are so blind...LOL if you think garvin will be in top 10 testing at DE in what numbers exactly are you talking about? 40 yard dash? Vertical? Because I guarantee you he wont.

Same dudes on here thought Joe Jackson was going 1st, 2nd round, then maybe 3rd round and he went at the end of the 5th. Dude doesnt get any PT

Garvin had 3 sacks going into the last game of the season. How many times did we see Garvin covering the flat on 3rd down his money down? I usually hate dudes leaving early but I cant fault him on this, I wouldnt trust this coaching staff at all. Dudes not gonna get drafted

Cam Williams, if he's healthy.

Joyner played there a bit last year, if he's healthy.

And we could always move a more athletic DT over there and have a plus-sized DE - like William Joseph in his first year here.

So we are only three deep at defensive end Greg patchen and Harvey for the bowl game correct?

I agree with the points that Seniors are better prepared, and 1-3rd Rounders get way more leeway than 5-7th Rounders.

But if Garvin is a 5th Rounder this year, or came back and was a 5th Rounder next year - what's the difference?

Garvin's draft stock staying similar his Senior year is probably a more realistic outcome that making a huge jump.

Only if you believe his junior year was more indicative of his potential than his sophomore year. Lot of people do not believe that to be the case, hence why people wanted him to come back so he could return to form and improve. He would have another year of competition, weight training, practice & game film to review mistakes, and coaches who are invested in him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I'd shift Bethel over to SDE behind Patchman for this game and let Ford, Silvera, Miller, Nnoruka handle DT.

He didn’t give max effort this year. Che could very easily improve his stock playing another year if he wanted to. I’m not one who buys into the idea that guys max out their draft status by their 3rd year.

He didn’t give max effort this year. Che could very easily improve his stock playing another year if he wanted to. I’m not one who buys into the idea that guys max out their draft status by their 3rd year.

I agree with you, and I think Garvin should've come back. I just don't think it's near as bad a decision as people are making it out to be.

People are acting like he'll be an UFA this year when he could be a 2nd next year. I think more realistically instead of a 6th - 7th this year, he could be a 4th - 6th next year.

Mike Jackson (5th Round), Jaquon Johnson (6th Round) didn't help themselves at all by returning for their Senior years. Sheldrick Redwine (4th Round) did.

I don't think players max out at year 3 either. But I don't think every Senior in the NCAA this year has improved themselves from their Junior year - and whenever a player turns pro - people act like that's what happens 100% of the time.

Friend

Garvin would have gotten Garvin drafted higher next year by:

1) working harder;
2) playing more nasty; and
3) playing relentlessly like Joe Jackson did (something the Cowboys noticed early).

While the coaches must scheme better, there's only so much coaches can do. The players have to push themselves to achieve higher levels. That has to come primarily from within. Garvin has a good frame, good flexibility & decent speed. He could have produced more given his athleticism.

That being said, I wish him nothing but the best in the draft.

Advertisement
Back