Game 1 overreactions

Lots of good at both lines and RB’s. My biggest concern is CB depth after the starters. The backups did not look good.

Advertisement
Overall I was pretty pleased with the performance. The passing game wasn’t great, but it didn’t need to be for this game. Im not going to overreact yet because I feel like the offense was conservative tonight because the running game was working and we were probably holding a lot back tonight because we didn’t want to show A&M too much. We’ll get a much better sense of where we’re at after the next game.
This is what I’m hoping as well. They really didn’t need to take chances down field last night, so they didn’t. Eventually they are going to face better and bigger DLs (i.e., next Saturday) and/or teams will stack the box so they are going to need to be more creative in the passing game than what they showed last night. Fingers crossed that Mario isn’t meddling too much in the offense.

Defense looked amazing. Fast and well coached. Guidry was a homerun hire.

Overall I was pretty pleased with the performance. The passing game wasn’t great, but it didn’t need to be for this game. Im not going to overreact yet because I feel like the offense was conservative tonight because the running game was working and we were probably holding a lot back tonight because we didn’t want to show A&M too much. We’ll get a much better sense of where we’re at after the next game.
Yup...most head coaches would be very happy to pound the rock they way we did. It's what made Alabama and Georgia so successful - control the line of scrimmage.

Thread title should be... what are the miserable Miami haters going to overreact about now to get their hate fix in.

LIke a bunch of crack heads.

Is Miami of Ohio that bad for the mopes to rejoice or have we improved that much that the pumpers are fully erect?

I have no idea. Every year people get season predictions wrong.

But from following this team for a long time I can say the following captain obvious observations with some confidence.

That receiver that they had can ball. That’s the type of dude that in the past would’ve easily gone for at least a Benjamin on us even if we won.
Can’t remember the game but there was a dude that was like a 5’10 walk on that went for like 150 on us one year. Also, Tutu or the mtsu dude that spun Ivey around.

They had -3 yards of rushing in the first half!! Someone remind me the last time we did that to anyone g5, fcs, or p5? I’ll wait.

The field and weather may or may not have affected the game plan. But field conditions were nowhere near optimal.

Despite Young ballin, you can tell he has something bothering him and several players still don’t look 100 percent.

The play calling was a scoop of vanilla on a clean bowl. No cone, sprinkles, or toppings.
That can be either concerning or a good sign.
But it’s a good sign if and only if they were holding back.

And that’s my only issue because since CMR we keep saying that the staff is “holding back” or “we haven’t opened up the playbook” or “not showing much because we got (insert p5 program) next week”.

Bottom line a great win and we finally did what we supposed to do to a team like this.
We’ve been in battles with Toledo, Akron, App State, UAB, etc over the years.

The talent disparity between the RedHawks and tamu is huge.
We will know a lot after next week.

And you mfers better bring it and show tf up this time!!!!

Advertisement
MOhio was playing 5 men in the box about a third of the game. The boundary corner was taking off at every snap 20 yards down field leaving short throws open. Of course we were going to run the ball and go short.

I absolutely agree with taking X off punt returns. He’s supposed to be the “safe” choice, yet he’s making fair catches inside the 5?! Also, he just doesn’t have the burst or the wiggle to be a legit threat back there. We have too many options with better speed to still be trotting out X on returns.
Yes, the fair catch inside the 5-yard line was a mistake, but this is starting to sound like the criticism that Braxton Berrios took, he wasn't "electric enough". In 2016, Berrios only ended up 11th in the country in punt return average (11.3 yds/ret). In 2017, he was only 5th (15.9 yds/ret).

It's only the first game of the year. Before A&M, I'm sure the objective was to make sure there was someone that was sure handed. After that, there's plenty of time to experiment before UNC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Absolutely hated the place of play and huddling.

Especially with the new rules.

The amount of snaps run in the game is going to be very limited with this offensive pace.

Which is going to keep every team in the game unless you’re scoring on most drives and playing near mistake free football.

Screenshot_20230902-092148_YouTube.jpg

Had no problem with the offensive calls. There were open receivers on some plays that didn't get thrown to.

defense may give us a chance in every game this year

offensive coordinator hire as expected was not as good as the hype. our only two scoring drives before we wore them down were the scripted drives to start each half.

TVD is not the same QB he was under Lashlee

we are not going to run major power 5 teams to death like we did tonight And that’s going to cause the O some problems.

The Colbie Young hype was real. Monster year incoming.

Fletcher will be the starting RB or at least getting the majority of carries before the year is over.

we need someone on punt return besides X

the team appears to be better coached.

the offense is going to keep this a 7-8 win team.

edit* forgot the most important one. Emory wins the Heisman next year.
500 yards of offense

lol

Christ

Is Miami of Ohio that bad for the mopes to rejoice or have we improved that much that the pumpers are fully erect?

I have no idea. Every year people get season predictions wrong.

But from following this team for a long time I can say the following captain obvious observations with some confidence.

That receiver that they had can ball. That’s the type of dude that in the past would’ve easily gone for at least a Benjamin on us even if we won.
Can’t remember the game but there was a dude that was like a 5’10 walk on that went for like 150 on us one year. Also, Tutu or the mtsu dude that spun Ivey around.

They had -3 yards of rushing in the first half!! Someone remind me the last time we did that to anyone g5, fcs, or p5? I’ll wait.

The field and weather may or may not have affected the game plan. But field conditions were nowhere near optimal.

Despite Young ballin, you can tell he has something bothering him and several players still don’t look 100 percent.

The play calling was a scoop of vanilla on a clean bowl. No cone, sprinkles, or toppings.
That can be either concerning or a good sign.
But it’s a good sign if and only if they were holding back.

And that’s my only issue because since CMR we keep saying that the staff is “holding back” or “we haven’t opened up the playbook” or “not showing much because we got (insert p5 program) next week”.

Bottom line a great win and we finally did what we supposed to do to a team like this.
We’ve been in battles with Toledo, Akron, App State, UAB, etc over the years.

The talent disparity between the RedHawks and tamu is huge.
We will know a lot after next week.

And you mfers better bring it and show tf up this time!!!!
Ordinarily, I'd agree with the bolded. But one thing I have in the back of my mind is that this is new offense, with several new starters, playing for the first time against live opposition.

I can't help but think that the plan was to work on the execution of the base offense to see what needed to be cleaned up prior to A&M. Physically, we look to be in good shape. But those pre-snap mental mistakes (penalties) need to be cleaned up.

Advertisement
Ordinarily, I'd agree with the bolded. But one thing I have in the back of my mind is that this is new offense, with several new starters, playing for the first time against live opposition.

I can't help but think that the plan was to work on the execution of the base offense to see what needed to be cleaned up prior to A&M. Physically, we look to be in good shape. But those pre-snap mental mistakes (penalties) need to be cleaned up.
Absolutely, Mario isn’t gonna go full Trojans in game one because the fans are upset and recruits want to see it.

I’d prefer to do what we did last night for the simple fact that we haven’t looked like a consistent running team in a long time.
And it didn’t matter who was carrying the rock.

People complaining about “X” on PR make me laugh.

Did he make a mistake on the fair catch? Yep.I doubt it happens again.

Does he have “wiggle” and 10.2 speed? Nope

But his first job is to CATCH THE BALL which we’ve seen dropped and cost us games in the last couple years.Give me a guy like Him or Berrios that you know will CATCH THE BALL as opposed to the “wiggle” burner guy that MIGHT take ONE punt back the whole year but who you have to hold your breath every punt as to if he will catch the ball or not.

Leave “X” back there cause at least we know he will turn the ball over to OUR offense after the punt and not our opponent.

Absolutely hated the place of play and huddling.

Especially with the new rules.

The amount of snaps run in the game is going to be very limited with this offensive pace.

Which is going to keep every team in the game unless you’re scoring on most drives and playing near mistake free football.
This is my concern as well. I’m not going to be overly critical given it was game 1 against a middling MAC team (and a game we won decisively at that), but knowing what we know about Mario’s offensive philosophy we could be finding ourselves in dogfights pretty regularly If he continues to play at this pace and with this run/pass ratio. Again, I’m hoping this was by design for reasons others have already articulated but I’m also not a big believer in the “they were just saving the playbook” narrative.

Advertisement
Anything more than 3 regular season losses with our schedule would be disappointing honestly. We kept it simple and dominated an inferior opponent. If you can dominate by keeping it simple there’s no need to get fancy with the play calling. Yea it’s Miami Ohio, but previous years we had a knack for making bums look like all Americans

True story. Several years ago, we went to the Miami-VA Tech game in Blacksburg. During the C-A-N-E-S chant, one of our fans actually said C-A-N-S...no he didn't appear drunk, just dumb lol
Maybe he was just ordering some beer?

Advertisement
Back