Game 1 overreactions

Last season I said that we would win 4 games max after the fiasco at aTm, and we wound up winning 5 (thanks in large part to Virginia sucking even more than us). PAUSE!

This next game will tell us all we need to know, but I saw too many of the same things that I saw last season, and I’m definitely thinking that unless our OC was somehow not showing much, we are in trouble again.

I hope that I’m wrong, but our O looked like buns, and will struggle against P5 teams if that’s the actual offense that will be called this season.

Worst WR core I’ve ever seen at the U, just a continuation of last season. CY is our only dude at that position (out of the upper classmen). We better pray that RayRay and Mr. Washington are as advertised, and that they get major burn quickly.

Chris Johnson is a weapon, yet mysteriously didn’t get on the field. Dude has game changing speed, and was riding pine. Harrell was also the invisible man. I guess that Mario is allergic to all of that speed.

Don’t wanna hear any more excuses.

Defense looked good overall, but let’s see them against an actual opponent next week before we crown them. It’s concerning that Miami of Ohio hung around for as long as they did in the first half.
I'm glad that you're not a sunshine pumper. But in the same vain, I trust that you will offer a mea culpa when we kick *** next week.

Advertisement
At points last night Canes lined up with:
Rivers, Cohen, Lee, Cooper, Cisco, McCoy (81) and Samson(86). That’s scary.

Line looked strong and athletic.
Thank you for solving that mystery for me. I was too far away to see the name on the back of the jerseys so was trying to figure out who the **** those 2 guys were.

Advertisement
I am concerned about TVD honestly. but we shall see everything else looked awesome.

I’ll only focus on the hood stuff here…

Night and day on defense. Whereas years before we would have inexplicable breakdowns in coverage and in tackling, we saw none of that last night. Players looked prepared and werent lost. Again, sure tackling was just a welcome sight. Bain is the real deal and I’ll say it, he should have been a 5 star. Deen also looked good. Someone mentioned this earlier, Mid Tenn State was worse than this fake Miami team, so the improvement was noticeable.

On offense, while the opponent was physically inferior the OL did what it needed to do. Colbie Young looks like an alpha WR. Love the RB by committee and we have 4 serviceable backs.

Next week will tell us everything.

Last season I said that we would win 4 games max after the fiasco at aTm, and we wound up winning 5 (thanks in large part to Virginia sucking even more than us). PAUSE!

This next game will tell us all we need to know, but I saw too many of the same things that I saw last season, and I’m definitely thinking that unless our OC was somehow not showing much, we are in trouble again.

I hope that I’m wrong, but our O looked like buns, and will struggle against P5 teams if that’s the actual offense that will be called this season.

Worst WR core I’ve ever seen at the U, just a continuation of last season. CY is our only dude at that position (out of the upper classmen). We better pray that RayRay and Mr. Washington are as advertised, and that they get major burn quickly.

Chris Johnson is a weapon, yet mysteriously didn’t get on the field. Dude has game changing speed, and was riding pine. Harrell was also the invisible man. I guess that Mario is allergic to all of that speed.

Defense looked good overall, but let’s see them against an actual opponent next week before we crown them. It’s concerning that Miami of Ohio hung around for as long as they did in the first half.

I don't understand this criticism all. Miami didn't show anything because they didn't have to. It's the first game of the season and they were never threatened. Yes, there are things to point at - Canes not finishing some drives in the first half, TVD floating some passes. But it's the first game of the season and they were in control. The offense was tearing it up on the ground so why would they ever need to go vertical. This isn't madden. There's a real team coming next week and you don't want to show your hand.

TVD missed George over the middle on the pick, that pass is way way way too late.

Same with the one to Horton in the endzone when he ran into the defender. He was open immediately, throw the ball Tyler.
Agree on the pick.
Disagree on Horton. He wasn’t open early (4:45)

Last edited:
Advertisement
IMG_6800.jpeg

Pretty sure CJ just started practicing a week or so ago so as the season goes along I agree we should see him

Maybe this comment belongs in the continuous reaction thread…

We call a TO on a third and two early in the second.
I believe we were flagged on the next play, then kicked a FG.

Our last drive of the half we got the ball with 0:56 left.
We settled for a FG @ 0:02 and still have those 2 time outs.

I was happy with the game. I was actually thinking it was going to be more sluggish.
This may be an odd comment, but after seeing our OL push on our second play from scrimmage, I thought we were going to be alright.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe A&m comes out pressing to stop the quick game and we can take it up top on them for the early lead.

Advertisement
we only ran 5-6 plays on offense ... never attacked the middle of the field at all ... alot of meat on the bone
Exactly. The offense was very vanilla for a reason. Next week I think we will see Miami stretch the field.

Most important takeaway for me was I don’t believe anyone was injured last night.

This team was absolutely gutted by injury last season. As bad as I’ve ever seen, honestly. **** near every single kid missed time at some point, and we lost really important players for large chunks of the year, starting with the Quarterback.

Sounds like we had a very healthy camp, and a very healthy game 1. That has to continue. I think the top of this roster can compete with anyone we play. But if we have injuries, we don’t have the depth yet at a few spots. So just stay healthy and see what we can do this year.

On that note, I figured Arroyo would be out or very limited. I talked about that all summer. But what’s up with Skinner? We are gonna have a hard time beating A&M with McCormick as the only TE and having to bring Matt McCoy in as a 6th offensive lineman when we go 12 personnel. Why didn’t Skinner play?

Almost 500 yards of O split evenly on only 61 plays, 27 first downs (w/ no 4th down attempts needed), 2 punts for the entire game, and TVD completed 77% of his attempts. My biggest complaint is that our young OLmen need to cut down on their mentals even though it's to be expected to a certain extent when they're getting so many plays.

D played much better than we've seen in a long time.

We have something to build on.

Advertisement
Back