Game 1 overreactions

If you’ve watched Dawson that was as vanilla as we can get on offense. We ran tunnel screens , ran the ball and scored 38 points. That basic O looked better than anything we saw last year. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell ya.
Should have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at wannabe Miami LMAO!

Many should change their favorite sport to women’s field hockey.

Advertisement
I guess this thread is as good as any to throw my two cents.

Elephant in the room: Tyler was definitely not 100%. I’m not talking about the interception. This is an offense that wants to throw downfield and they purposely avoided anything over 15 yards. He still had great touch and his accuracy was on point. He had one deep shot the entire game.

Part of that was due to Ohio’s defense. They like to get aggressive with their front 7 and play their DBs way off and keep everything in front of them. Miami countered with a lot of screens and underneath stuff that got a lot of YAC. The game plan was on point and mostly executed nicely.

The running game was spectacular. If you would have predicted 250 rushing yards before the game I would have laughed at you. They did it against a top 20 rush defense. I know those numbers are inflated because Ohio Miami plays a bunch of bad teams but this was still a team whose #1 goal defensively was to sell out against the run and we punished them. For the people who don’t really watch football, this is how a power running game works. As the game goes on, the more effective it gets. By the midpoint in the third, they were waiving tv white flag. My only gripe with a VASTLY improved offensive line was the penalties. But you’re starting a true freshman and true sophomore so those things are going to happen. Got stuck kicking field goals twice in the first half because of dumb line penalties. Otherwise they were spectacular. Matt Lee was as advertised. Anez Cooper looked fit and active. Jalen Rivers was laying dudes out on run plays. They used Sampson and McCoy as tight ends quite a bit. Overall I can’t complain about the offense when you get 500 yards and 38 points against a good G5 defense. (This isn’t an FCS team that you can just roll over like Bethune or Central Connecticut) 2nd and 3rd team guys got lots of playing time. Emory Williams got some important work in. Overall a solid B+ offensive game. Could have went without the drive killing penalties or the interception but otherwise they did what they intended to do against a nice opening game test opponent.

Defensively this is the best they’ve looked in years. Yes, Ohio Miami isn’t a good offense but this is what you do to bad offenses. They got tons of pressure, they completely shut down the run and got off the field on third down. We knew the DL was going to control the line of scrimmage but can i talk about linebacker play? Cloyd looked great. I don’t know how this guy wasn’t starting at Louisville. He was technically solid and all over the place. Francisco is every bit the Mike linebacker we needed. Wes was disruptive and just looked like he had a second gear that nobody on offense could match. Even Flagg and Smith did their jobs when giving the first team guys a break. Tackling was near flawless. DB coverage was generally spot on against a pretty crappy receiver group. Half their team passing total came on two deep plays late in the game against the second team defense when the game was long over. Even those catches were well defended, they were miracle catches. Game plan was fantastic. I loved the crazy looks and heavy pressure that Guidry was bringing. A+ effort from the group as a whole. I didn’t expect them to completely shut down Ohio Miami but they were lights out.

Overall, you gotta like what you see. I hope Tyler is 100% by next week because we’re going to need to throw the ball downfield against A&M. But this was a nice tuneup game against a G5 team that isn’t a complete pushover. I know some people are probably mad that it wasn’t 40-0 at halftime and yeah, I would have liked one of those field goal drives to have ended up in the end zone but this was a really good overall game for real Miami. If you consider that last year’s team would have really struggled against the RedHawks and this year they were in complete control from the opening kickoff. You gotta be happy with the significant improvement.

Advertisement
I absolutely agree with taking X off punt returns. He’s supposed to be the “safe” choice, yet he’s making fair catches inside the 5?! Also, he just doesn’t have the burst or the wiggle to be a legit threat back there. We have too many options with better speed to still be trotting out X on returns.

Last edited:
I guess this thread is as good as any to throw my two cents.

Elephant in the room: Tyler was definitely not 100%. I’m not talking about the interception. This is an offense that wants to throw downfield and they purposely avoided anything over 15 yards. He still had great touch and his accuracy was on point. He had one deep shot the entire game.

Part of that was due to Ohio’s defense. They like to get aggressive with their front 7 and play their DBs way off and keep everything in front of them. Miami countered with a lot of screens and underneath stuff that got a lot of YAC. The game plan was on point and mostly executed nicely.

The running game was spectacular. If you would have predicted 250 rushing yards before the game I would have laughed at you. They did it against a top 20 rush defense. I know those numbers are inflated because Ohio Miami plays a bunch of bad teams but this was still a team whose #1 goal defensively was to sell out against the run and we punished them. For the people who don’t really watch football, this is how a power running game works. As the game goes on, the more effective it gets. By the midpoint in the third, they were waiving tv white flag. My only gripe with a VASTLY improved offensive line was the penalties. But you’re starting a true freshman and true sophomore so those things are going to happen. Got stuck kicking field goals twice in the first half because of dumb line penalties. Otherwise they were spectacular. Matt Lee was as advertised. Anez Cooper looked fit and active. Jalen Rivers was laying dudes out on run plays. They used Sampson and McCoy as tight ends quite a bit. Overall I can’t complain about the offense when you get 500 yards and 38 points against a good G5 defense. (This isn’t an FCS team that you can just roll over like Bethune or Central Connecticut) 2nd and 3rd team guys got lots of playing time. Emory Williams got some important work in. Overall a solid B+ offensive game. Could have went without the drive killing penalties or the interception but otherwise they did what they intended to do against a nice opening game test opponent.

Defensively this is the best they’ve looked in years. Yes, Ohio Miami isn’t a good offense but this is what you do to bad offenses. They got tons of pressure, they completely shut down the run and got off the field on third down. We knew the DL was going to control the line of scrimmage but can i talk about linebacker play? Cloyd looked great. I don’t know how this guy wasn’t starting at Louisville. He was technically solid and all over the place. Francisco is every bit the Mike linebacker we needed. Wes was disruptive and just looked like he had a second gear that nobody on offense could match. Even Flagg and Smith did their jobs when giving the first team guys a break. Tackling was near flawless. DB coverage was generally spot on against a pretty crappy receiver group. Half their team passing total came on two deep plays late in the game against the second team defense when the game was long over. Even those catches were well defended, they were miracle catches. Game plan was fantastic. I loved the crazy looks and heavy pressure that Guidry was bringing. A+ effort from the group as a whole. I didn’t expect them to completely shut down Ohio Miami but they were lights out.

Overall, you gotta like what you see. I hope Tyler is 100% by next week because we’re going to need to throw the ball downfield against A&M. But this was a nice tuneup game against a G5 team that isn’t a complete pushover. I know some people are probably mad that it wasn’t 40-0 at halftime and yeah, I would have liked one of those field goal drives to have ended up in the end zone but this was a really good overall game for real Miami. If you consider that last year’s team would have really struggled against the RedHawks and this year they were in complete control from the opening kickoff. You gotta be happy with the significant improvement.
Great stuff brother

I’m actually rewatching the game right now (a first in years) and another thing about Ohio is Gabbert is a very solid QB. He doesn’t make mistakes and I expect him to have a really good season. There’s several plays I’m seeing on the replay that will likely be turnovers from other QBs

He just has nowhere to throw the ball and he’s being moved off his spot almost immediately on every play

I plan on doing a specific 3rd Down Defense analysis from each of Ohios 3rd down opportunities because I’m absolutely loving what I’m seeing

I absolutely agree with taking X punt returns. He’s supposed to be the “safe” choice, yet he’s making fair catches inside the 5?! Also, he just doesn’t have the burst or the wiggle to be a legit threat back there. We have too many options with better speed to still be trotting out X on returns.
To be fair their punter was also their MVP. Dude had a great night

But same time I’m hoping to see guys like RayRay, CJ, Washington etc perhaps

Advertisement
Not sure what yall expected, the line into the game was 16.5, we doubled it. I went to the game, that pick had multiple people wide open and the OL gave him plenty of time. On my way with my friend to the game, i said i have no questions about the DC. The OC has to prove it. My exact quote. Some of what the Houston fans said concerned me.

I was not gonna ignore that like i did when we hired Gattis and the Michigan fans tried to warn us. At the same time im not gonna judge off 1 game. I dont care who the coach is, defense is much easier to coordinate than Offense which is about timing and precision, we dont have preseason. U will see alot of playoff potential teams look worse today in their first game.

We have the basis to win 7 or 8 games likeni predicted. TVD performances going forward will determine if its 9 or 10. That running game and defense is legit. If we beat 8&4 we will be 5-0 going into UNC.

Nice to see the freshmen studs show out in the opener… running game won’t be a weak point as we have some studs! Hopefully the recruits see these freshmen getting playing time immediately and know they don’t have to go sit the bench elsewhere.

TEs didn’t seem to have much action. What happened to Jaleel skinner? I know first game so very basic plays but would like to see the TEs get some action.

We have plenty of speed and kitchens Is no doubt gone after this year.

Tackling seems to be much improved also

Advertisement
I'll attribute the dumb posts in this thread to lingering alcohol effects last night.

DTP and a few others are spot on.

Vanilla game plan, yes. If TVD looks average vs A2M then I'll worry. TE will be included more I expect.

Everyone else looked good except Isaiah Horton who played like he has an extra chromosome.

Last edited:
The TVD hate is absurd. Kid made a choice to float that int, had he thrown a dart his reciever gets killed by the safety over top, tvd didnt see the defender who picked it underneath, but his floater gave the reciever a chance to run past/across the high safety. Bad vision there maybe, weak arm or throwing ducks??? No way.

77% completion percentage. Nicest throw you will see all year by any qb in college football to Xavier down the sideline.

Cracks me up how dumb TVD is going to make the haters look this year. If not for a bunch of dumb penalties by oline we would have scored tds on 2 more drives.
Totally agree. It the worst part about that int was him looking on the receiver for a solid 3 seconds. I could have made it from my seats down to the field and intercepted the pass considering you knew where that ball was being thrown. The pass itself was very nice and well placed. The defender read his look and got to the spot to make an athletic int. Hopefully he looks the other way next time before turning back to make that throw. Agree about the trajectory allowing the receiver to not end up in the hospital.

Advertisement
If you’ve watched Dawson that was as vanilla as we can get on offense. We ran tunnel screens , ran the ball and scored 38 points. That basic O looked better than anything we saw last year. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell ya.
We looked how real programs are supposed to look against teams they could beat by 70 but don’t wanna put anything on film yet

TVD stat line doesn’t accurately capture his play on the field. We don’t beat TAMU with tonight’s version of TVD. Can’t blame Dawson for late floaters with guys open all over.
Could it be they were keeping some of the vertical offense under wraps, saving it for the Aggies?

Totally agree. It the worst part about that int was him looking on the receiver for a solid 3 seconds. I could have made it from my seats down to the field and intercepted the pass considering you knew where that ball was being thrown. The pass itself was very nice and well placed. The defender read his look and got to the spot to make an athletic int. Hopefully he looks the other way next time before turning back to make that throw. Agree about the trajectory allowing the receiver to not end up in the hospital.
Agreed. The throw wasn’t the problem it just took him a second too long to make the decision. He let’s that one go just a bit earlier and we’re all gushing about how he dropped that pass perfectly in the bucket.

Overreaction:
I hate the passing game and Mario still insists on boring and slow offense.

Advertisement
Back