Game 1 overreactions

Advertisement
I guess this thread is as good as any to throw my two cents.

Elephant in the room: Tyler was definitely not 100%. I’m not talking about the interception. This is an offense that wants to throw downfield and they purposely avoided anything over 15 yards. He still had great touch and his accuracy was on point. He had one deep shot the entire game.

Part of that was due to Ohio’s defense. They like to get aggressive with their front 7 and play their DBs way off and keep everything in front of them. Miami countered with a lot of screens and underneath stuff that got a lot of YAC. The game plan was on point and mostly executed nicely.

The running game was spectacular. If you would have predicted 250 rushing yards before the game I would have laughed at you. They did it against a top 20 rush defense. I know those numbers are inflated because Ohio Miami plays a bunch of bad teams but this was still a team whose #1 goal defensively was to sell out against the run and we punished them. For the people who don’t really watch football, this is how a power running game works. As the game goes on, the more effective it gets. By the midpoint in the third, they were waiving tv white flag. My only gripe with a VASTLY improved offensive line was the penalties. But you’re starting a true freshman and true sophomore so those things are going to happen. Got stuck kicking field goals twice in the first half because of dumb line penalties. Otherwise they were spectacular. Matt Lee was as advertised. Anez Cooper looked fit and active. Jalen Rivers was laying dudes out on run plays. They used Sampson and McCoy as tight ends quite a bit. Overall I can’t complain about the offense when you get 500 yards and 38 points against a good G5 defense. (This isn’t an FCS team that you can just roll over like Bethune or Central Connecticut) 2nd and 3rd team guys got lots of playing time. Emory Williams got some important work in. Overall a solid B+ offensive game. Could have went without the drive killing penalties or the interception but otherwise they did what they intended to do against a nice opening game test opponent.

Defensively this is the best they’ve looked in years. Yes, Ohio Miami isn’t a good offense but this is what you do to bad offenses. They got tons of pressure, they completely shut down the run and got off the field on third down. We knew the DL was going to control the line of scrimmage but can i talk about linebacker play? Cloyd looked great. I don’t know how this guy wasn’t starting at Louisville. He was technically solid and all over the place. Francisco is every bit the Mike linebacker we needed. Wes was disruptive and just looked like he had a second gear that nobody on offense could match. Even Flagg and Smith did their jobs when giving the first team guys a break. Tackling was near flawless. DB coverage was generally spot on against a pretty crappy receiver group. Half their team passing total came on two deep plays late in the game against the second team defense when the game was long over. Even those catches were well defended, they were miracle catches. Game plan was fantastic. I loved the crazy looks and heavy pressure that Guidry was bringing. A+ effort from the group as a whole. I didn’t expect them to completely shut down Ohio Miami but they were lights out.

Overall, you gotta like what you see. I hope Tyler is 100% by next week because we’re going to need to throw the ball downfield against A&M. But this was a nice tuneup game against a G5 team that isn’t a complete pushover. I know some people are probably mad that it wasn’t 40-0 at halftime and yeah, I would have liked one of those field goal drives to have ended up in the end zone but this was a really good overall game for real Miami. If you consider that last year’s team would have really struggled against the RedHawks and this year they were in complete control from the opening kickoff. You gotta be happy with the significant improvement.
Nobody will read my response to a long but really good post. I agree 100. The offense was kept shrunk for a reason. Next week is far more important and warrants a lot more surprises. Hence the suppression imo. TVD is fine and will have his chances to go downfied next week. Running game is on point with talent and capabilities at OL and rb. On defense, I agree the only concern is see is a massive drop off from starter to 2nd unit. I don't think we see those deep completions in the second half if 1st team is in. Overall I saw a dramatically improved team on both sides. Especially in the attitude and effort department. That was probably my biggest concern, culture. Emory gives me hope for sure but very small sample size. Let's see it all open up next week before a complete determination is made

Advertisement
Worst WR core I’ve ever seen at the U, just a continuation of last season. CY is our only dude at that position (out of the upper classmen). We better pray that RayRay and Mr. Washington are as advertised, and that they get major burn quickly

Our continued struggles with a position group that should be solid at worst and loaded on a regular basis remains inexcusable.

We oughtta be close to Ohio State's level as far as talent and development if that room is being managed properly.

Hope Coach Beard can get us back on track

Last edited:
agree. someone else has to step up to help him.

I think Horton sees the bench and we get more Harrell and Ray Ray next week if they know the playbook. Maybe they like how Horton blocks for running but he looks terrible with the rest of his game.

Advertisement
Offense was what I expected, I didn't get caught up in the "air raid" stuff because I went back and watched Houston's games and seen that Dawson like he's been saying doesn't run a air raid. Its a bland non complicated offense that puts players in position to make plays. Problem is we just don't have any game breakers at WR yet. Was pleasantly surprised by the defense, my score prediction was 38-17 but the defense played lights out.

I'll attribute the dumb posts in this thread to lingering alcohol effects last night.

DTP and a few others are spot on.

Vanilla game plan, yes. If TVD looks average vs A2M then I'll worry. TE will be included more I expect.

Everyone else looked good except Isaiah Horton who played like he has an extra chromosome.
The passing game was simple and they didn't do a lot downfield but an "average" TVD still went17/22/201. One of his 5 incompletions was a perfect pass to Horton who for whatever reason was blocking downfield. Not sure why he got so many reps tbh. But yeah, we're going to need TVD do be more than just a game manager to beat A&M

That play was just as much on George as it was on Tyler. Tyler should've put it about two yards further up field. But George was so lazy on that play he didn't even bother to help his QB out. Football is a team sport. As anyone knows I don't hesitate to critique tyler or anyone else when there's cause. But if you don't realize what today's game plan was than I'm not gonna bother to inform anyone.
Just like the Horton route near the goal line. I do think George did not see the guy sink so deep as well. Sometimes the other team makes a very nice play.

Advertisement
Offense was what I expected, I didn't get caught up in the "air raid" stuff because I went back and watched Houston's games and seen that Dawson like he's been saying doesn't run a air raid. Its a bland non complicated offense that puts players in position to make plays. Problem is we just don't have any game breakers at WR yet. Was pleasantly surprised by the defense, my score prediction was 38-17 but the defense played lights out.
His offense is definitely an Air Raid, it's just that most fans don't understand what that means and they think it's just throwing the ball every down. It has more to do with route combinations and use of space.

Selling my stock in Leonard Taylor.... I haven't seen anything to warrant this first round pick talk.

Thank god we got Bain, kid is gonna be real good.
One of the most important plays Bain made was when he avoided hitting the qb after a scramble. So many young guys, would have dove right on him. It shows Bain's intelligence.

Advertisement
TVD missed George over the middle on the pick, that pass is way way way too late.

Same with the one to Horton in the endzone when he ran into the defender. He was open immediately, throw the ball Tyler.

I hope TVD
No one wants to mention the monsoon in the first half with a broken finger? Not going to annoint tvd, but he looked better when it stopped raining
that throw he made to X down the sideline is as good as it’s gets. Excellent touch and accuracy. I hope he gets 100% soon but he’s still got a lot talent. Will be interesting to see once Dawson opens up the playbook.

If you’ve watched Dawson that was as vanilla as we can get on offense. We ran tunnel screens , ran the ball and scored 38 points. That basic O looked better than anything we saw last year. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell ya.
The problem is that we aren't good enough to break out the rest of the playbook against good competition and expect it to work. Last night was a wasted opportunity to get our guys reps in a game scenario.

The problem is that we aren't good enough to break out the rest of the playbook against good competition and expect it to work. Last night was a wasted opportunity to get our guys reps in a game scenario.
Scrimmages and practices is where you rep that. No coach is going deep into his playbook week 1 against Miami of Ohio. You have formations and plays you use for particular teams , schemes or situations. Like they say “ styles make fights “. They chose to sit back in the secondary and we took what they gave. There’s no reason to show anything in that situation if it’s not necessary.

Advertisement
Back