FSU looking at Willie Taggart to replace Jimbo

His 7-5 record is a bit misleading as they were without their top 2 QB's for a portion of the season.

As for FSU if they come calling, I doubt he leaves. Oregon can pay him a lot more than FSU can and it's not like you can't win at Oregon.

Advertisement
I'm a Willie Taggart fan since he brought USF back. I've seen some comments on here about how he was "2 games away from being fired" and it's nonsense. He endured growing pains at USF initially as he didn't have players that fit his system. Once he figured out what system would work for him, he started shelling out W's. He's a legit coach who has a track record of being able to make teams better and do it quickly. He is also an elite recruiter.

What I haven't seen anyone on here mention is that he's also a cut-throat business man. His last year at USF, he used the vacant South Carolina opening as leverage in order to get an 800k raise from USF. With what his deal is and how quickly Oregon has gotten significantly better (4-8 to 7-5 with the same roster and a top 8 class coming in), it would be no surprise to me that he would use this situation to leverage Oregon into a more lucrative contract.

4-8 to 7-5 is not a great jump. Teams like Oregon should never be 4-8. Muschamp even improved on a 4-8 season

Muschamp never had a class like that coming in though. Taggart has one of if not the best class Oregon has ever had lined up. You have to account for that as well.

Jimbo's a good coach and a good recruiter. He kept FSU relevant after Bowden's senility almost ****ed it up.

He'll do a good job at A&M.

4-8 to 7-5 is “significant”? Lol.
And since when does it matter that Phil knight is the ceo of Nike and whether that plays a part in one Nike school taking a coach from Oregon? This is the dumbest crap I’ve ever heard. Yeah Phil knight is ceo and went to Oregon. College football is also a business and one has nothing to do with the other. Like Phil knight is gonna be offended and punish a Nike school? We have the dumbest fans.

You're a clown.

Must be a slow news day. Y'all are on here debating a hire that is imaginary at this point. You don't really see dead people.

Advertisement
If I'm Willie, I stay at Oregon a while. Despite their past success, he could win 8-9 games a year, go to a decent bowl game each year and make a nice name for himself. The resources at Oregon are second to none and can you could probably run third fiddle to USC to UCLA in recruiting and still trot out a solid roster.

Duval, stop acting black. It’s played out.

Please. Maybe track and field. Not in college football is Phil knight gonna be mad because another Nike school stole a coach from Oregon. That’s dumb as fvck. Stop.
What’s dumb as **** is not realizing how much Phil Knight has personally put into Oregon Athletics and that he might have more than just a vested interest. I never said he would, but if he wants to he could; Taggart isn’t going anywhere for precisely those reasons - and one year on the job. He would have to be pushed.

Not just track, where at one point Nike was paying every sprint track coach in Florida outside of their university pay, but in basketball. ****, basketball shouldn’t even be included. The corruption in basketball makes football eyes open.

Advertisement
Since when did taggert become some great recruiter of South Florida talent?

It's completely overblown. Guy isn't even from South Florida. He has all-world recruiter Cristobal on his staff and only has the great Billy Gibson to show for it.

Please dude. Let’s stop comparing track and field and basketball to football. Phil knight is ceo if Nike. I get his “interest” in Oregon athletics but if you think he’s gonna sponsor all these colleges and outfit their football teams and then hold them hostage to who they can and can’t hire, you’re mistaken. Where is this coming from? No one has ever discussed this before and it’s never been mentioned before. You guys are making stuff up.

Since when did taggert become some great recruiter of South Florida talent?

Certain posters on this site think every black HC can somehow come to South Florida and sprinkle some magic ***** dust on the kids and they'll all follow him to their school.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It’s absolutely fascinating. I’ve been following recruiting since about ‘89 and never heard of taggert taking top talent out of South Florida. And who has Mario landed outside of 3 guys while at Alabama?

Advertisement
Huge downgrade, IMO. This would be a shocking but welcomed hire. Our turn now to dominate those ***** for years.

I'm a Willie Taggart fan since he brought USF back. I've seen some comments on here about how he was "2 games away from being fired" and it's nonsense. He endured growing pains at USF initially as he didn't have players that fit his system. Once he figured out what system would work for him, he started shelling out W's. He's a legit coach who has a track record of being able to make teams better and do it quickly. He is also an elite recruiter.

What I haven't seen anyone on here mention is that he's also a cut-throat business man. His last year at USF, he used the vacant South Carolina opening as leverage in order to get an 800k raise from USF. With what his deal is and how quickly Oregon has gotten significantly better (4-8 to 7-5 with the same roster and a top 8 class coming in), it would be no surprise to me that he would use this situation to leverage Oregon into a more lucrative contract.

4-8 to 7-5 is not a great jump. Teams like Oregon should never be 4-8. Muschamp even improved on a 4-8 season

Muschamp never had a class like that coming in though. Taggart has one of if not the best class Oregon has ever had lined up. You have to account for that as well.

I get it but the toughest team they've beaten this season is 7-5 and they've also lost to a 7-5 and 6-6 team. Seven wins in college football isn't a special jump because you really do play some bad teams.

Not saying he won't be good but there's nothing here that says he's gonna be a problem

oh yeah Jimbo is gone and oregon doesn't want to lose taggart

oregon.jpg

Advertisement
Back