For the Old Timers: Who's the best QB you've seen at Miami?

Advertisement
Gino Torretta is very rarely spoken of just couldn't leave him out , I have no problem having him in my huddle to lead a last minute game winning drive.

GOCANES
Because that NC game vs Bama still haunts (👻 Boo 😱) many of us Canes fans. Lol

Advertisement
During the season, no question it's Vinny.

As for clutch guys, give me Steve Walsh any day of the week.

....and why?

Preferably, this is for the old timers who've who've been watching the Canes since the 50s-60's-70's through today.
Steve Walsh. A winner who was extremely accurate, poised and smart. Second place goes to Bernie Kosar. He got the whole thing started. Very cerebral, gutsy, winner. Third, Ken Dorsey. Another smart QB. Read defenses extremely well. Less athletic than the other two but had more playmakers to work with.

Advertisement
Steve Walsh. A winner who was extremely accurate, poised and smart. Second place goes to Bernie Kosar. He got the whole thing started. Very cerebral, gutsy, winner. Third, Ken Dorsey. Another smart QB. Read defenses extremely well. Less athletic than the other two but had more playmakers to work with.

Walsh would almost always audible at the line. He read defenses so well and wasn't afraid to direct traffic. I may be wrong, but it seemed our QBs back then were much more vocal and had more autonomy to run things.

Last edited:
Maybe not the most God given gifted one....but my favorite Canes QB of all time has always been Steve Walsh.

He came a BS fumble call away from basically going undefeated for two straight seasons. Accurate and smart as ****. Got the ball out quick and always kept the chains moving.

Advertisement
was painful

1986 was my freshman year. Pre-internet. A lot of the "mythology" of 1986 and the Fiasco Bowl relate to certain print articles, particularly the hatchet job that Rick Reilly did in Sports Illustrated (he actually quotes Vinnie Testaverde saying "Hey, I need my sleep" when someone prank-called his hotel room...where did Reilly get that quote, from Jerry Sandusky?).

A couple of things to point out. Something was wrong with the artificial turf and/or the football. Michael Irvin himself made the comment that the ball was slippery, but go back and re-watch the game sometime. We had numerous instances of (a) guys having their feet slip out from underneath of them, (b) dropped catches, and (c) fumbles, even if the offense recovered. It is truly striking to watch. These were two teams that had dominated their competition all year long and had very few turnovers, and all of a sudden guys were falling down, dropping the ball, and making the kinds of UNFORCED errors they had not made all year (both teams). Also, focusing on the "slipping" issue, go back and watch Vinnie's third INT, the receiver clearly slips, which allows the DB to undercut him and make the pick.

Yes, Vinnie had 5 INTs. Outside of the "missed opportunity" aspect, it was the last 2 that killed us. One of the earlier INTs was followed a few plays later by a Ped State turnover, so that one really didn't hurt us.

Seelig missed a chip shot 29 yard FG that would have put us in position to win the game at the end with a FG rather than a TD.

Alfredo Roberts had a particularly bad stretch where, in very short order, he fumbled the ball, got an offensive pass interference call, and dropped another ball. I think that Rick Reilly said that we had 7 dropped passes, I counted 12. Charles Henry dropped an easy ball on 4th and 4 on our first drive. Four other drives stalled after 3rd down drops, including the final drive. Vinnie went 26 for 50, imagine if the WRs caught those balls and he went 38 for 50, and we won the game by 3 TDs.

A lot of the mythology of the game is that Vinnie was so horrendous. Yeah, he hadn't played in over 6 weeks after the motor scooter accident. Obviously, 4 of the 5 INTs were bad throws, but other than that, I only counted 6 incompletions that were Vinnie's fault based on where he put the ball. There is one obvious one down near the goal line where Brian Blades broke to the inside and Vinnie threw to the outside.

For the game, we had 445 total yards, Ped State had 162. We had 22 first downs, they had 8. Shaffer completed FIVE passes. We TRIPLED their offensive output. One of their TDs came on Vinnie's 4th INT when they returned the pick down to our 5. Dozier ran well, though he had a few longer runs that offset a lot of crappy runs. On our side, Highsmith was a beast, and Bratton was a good complement, both running and catching.

So while it seems like I am defending Vinnie, the biggest problem of all was Vinnie insisting on throwing the ball once we got down close on the final drive. We were at the SIX yard line. I think that Highsmith was AVERAGING more than 6 yards per carry. We had 3 plays to ram it in, and we tried to throw on all three. One sack, one incompletion, one interception. Vinnie, quite literally, out-argued JJ, all the assistants, and Alonzo Highsmith. Everyone wanted to run. Vinnie wanted to pass.

Game over.

5 pages and not one of you oldheads mention Bryan Fortay?!

Shame on you.

Advertisement
As far as pure talent, I would agree that Vinny was the most talented. I started watching Canes football as a little kid with Jim Kelly, so I'm too young to have seen Mira play.

Agree 100% that Vinny was the most physically talented QB's probably ever....... He had ALL the physical tools good QB's dream of having

But the overall BEST here was Kelly because he did the most with the awesome talent he had. IF he had played on better teams here there would be NO DOUBT

Last edited:
1986 was my freshman year. Pre-internet. A lot of the "mythology" of 1986 and the Fiasco Bowl relate to certain print articles, particularly the hatchet job that Rick Reilly did in Sports Illustrated (he actually quotes Vinnie Testaverde saying "Hey, I need my sleep" when someone prank-called his hotel room...where did Reilly get that quote, from Jerry Sandusky?).

A couple of things to point out. Something was wrong with the artificial turf and/or the football. Michael Irvin himself made the comment that the ball was slippery, but go back and re-watch the game sometime. We had numerous instances of (a) guys having their feet slip out from underneath of them, (b) dropped catches, and (c) fumbles, even if the offense recovered. It is truly striking to watch. These were two teams that had dominated their competition all year long and had very few turnovers, and all of a sudden guys were falling down, dropping the ball, and making the kinds of UNFORCED errors they had not made all year (both teams). Also, focusing on the "slipping" issue, go back and watch Vinnie's third INT, the receiver clearly slips, which allows the DB to undercut him and make the pick.

Yes, Vinnie had 5 INTs. Outside of the "missed opportunity" aspect, it was the last 2 that killed us. One of the earlier INTs was followed a few plays later by a Ped State turnover, so that one really didn't hurt us.

Seelig missed a chip shot 29 yard FG that would have put us in position to win the game at the end with a FG rather than a TD.

Alfredo Roberts had a particularly bad stretch where, in very short order, he fumbled the ball, got an offensive pass interference call, and dropped another ball. I think that Rick Reilly said that we had 7 dropped passes, I counted 12. Charles Henry dropped an easy ball on 4th and 4 on our first drive. Four other drives stalled after 3rd down drops, including the final drive. Vinnie went 26 for 50, imagine if the WRs caught those balls and he went 38 for 50, and we won the game by 3 TDs.

A lot of the mythology of the game is that Vinnie was so horrendous. Yeah, he hadn't played in over 6 weeks after the motor scooter accident. Obviously, 4 of the 5 INTs were bad throws, but other than that, I only counted 6 incompletions that were Vinnie's fault based on where he put the ball. There is one obvious one down near the goal line where Brian Blades broke to the inside and Vinnie threw to the outside.

For the game, we had 445 total yards, Ped State had 162. We had 22 first downs, they had 8. Shaffer completed FIVE passes. We TRIPLED their offensive output. One of their TDs came on Vinnie's 4th INT when they returned the pick down to our 5. Dozier ran well, though he had a few longer runs that offset a lot of crappy runs. On our side, Highsmith was a beast, and Bratton was a good complement, both running and catching.

So while it seems like I am defending Vinnie, the biggest problem of all was Vinnie insisting on throwing the ball once we got down close on the final drive. We were at the SIX yard line. I think that Highsmith was AVERAGING more than 6 yards per carry. We had 3 plays to ram it in, and we tried to throw on all three. One sack, one incompletion, one interception. Vinnie, quite literally, out-argued JJ, all the assistants, and Alonzo Highsmith. Everyone wanted to run. Vinnie wanted to pass.

Game over.

100% S.P.O.T O.N.....

Game over.

Thanks for the write up. Brings back a lot of bad memories and some of the stats you referenced make it even worse.

This is why Michael Irvin, when interviewed immediately after the game said, "The better team didn't win tonight." That wasn't bad sportsmanship. That was just the truth.

What did Vinny even think he was seeing on that last throw??? He threw it directly into a group of five blue jerseys. It doesn't even come close to making sense. And that's why people still question whether it was on the up-and-up to this day.

Advertisement
Back