For the Old Timers: Who's the best QB you've seen at Miami?

I'll forever love Bernie Kosar

Steve Walsh was the prototypical QB. He was great for us. Too bad he was never really able to put it together in the NFL.

Advertisement
In this order, Kelly, Bernie, Dorsey, Vinny, Walsh, Erickson, Torretta, Covington, Berlin, Jarren Williams.

I think Vinny was the most talented, you asked who was the best, truthfully I cannot say with any conviction, as their overall talents were different, bottom line amazing group of QB over the years that have come through this progra

I kind liked George Mira myself, you always had a chance and Miami was an afterthought program at that time.

As far as pure talent, I would agree that Vinny was the most talented. I started watching Canes football as a little kid with Jim Kelly, so I'm too young to have seen Mira play.

Advertisement
I'm only 23, but I heard Fran Curci and George Mira were very good.

Not that they were the best, but they probably deserved to be added to the conversation.

Really difficult question, because all the names mentioned are really talented and bring different skills to the party.

Physical skills? Nobody more athletic than Vinny.

But, for a whole season, if I'm picking my QB and can staff my roster any way I want? It's Kelly.

However, I would have to say, if you were going to have your team QB'd for one game, by one QB? I'd pick among Kelly, Walsh, Bernie, or Dorsey., and then, it would depend upon how I felt waking up that morning.

Advertisement
In this order, Kelly, Bernie, Dorsey, Vinny, Walsh, Erickson, Torretta, Covington, Berlin, Jarren Williams.
I see what you did there with J Williams!!!! With expectations that he will move up the list in the next 4 years!

Those 80s QBs were amazing. So the order of starting is my order: Kelly, Kosar, Vinny then Walsh, Dorsey, Ericsson, Torretta

Advertisement
I'll give Mira a solid vote as the most exciting QB I saw at UM. Kelly was the best, Mira the most exciting for the fans, and Curci was the best option QB

Advertisement
I missed seeing Kelly and Kosar IN COLLEGE.

Testaverde was amazing in a physical sense, when he threw the ball, it was just scorching. I still love remembering that one play in 1986 when he threw the ball about 30 yards on a rope.

I have a strong preference for Walsh's demeanor and command of the game. Guy was unflappable, and he led us to two straight undefeated seasons (I still do not dignify the Notre Dame loss, it was a fraudulent outcome based on referee error).

Dorsey was an amazing winner, he had a lot of the same characteristics of Walsh. He also led us to two straight undefeated seasons (***** Ohio Taint).

They were all QBs during what I believe are our two best 3-season runs (1986-1988 and 2000-2002), each of which only resulted in 1 national championship each. Only marred by two bogus losses (Ped State/Notre Dame, and Washington/Ohio Taint).

Advertisement
Back