For the Old Timers: Who's the best QB you've seen at Miami?

I'm only 23, but I heard Fran Curci and George Mira were very good.

Not that they were the best, but they probably deserved to be added to the conversation.

They did and they do,one has to remember these guys did not play with a great team. MIra got Miami into the Gotham bowl at the old Polo Grounds. He was called the matador for a reason. Had a decent pro career,had a knack for beating the great Green Bay team.

Advertisement
I still wish Bernie would have stayed longer and spared us the choke jobs by Vinny.

Jim Kelly was the best, and had he played on more talented teams, lord knows what we could have accomplished.

I'll have to go with Gino Toretta because that is when I first started watching the Canes and became a fan. I was around 8 or 9 years old but I remember him winning the Heisman and Miami winning the national championship that year.

I still wish Bernie would have stayed longer and spared us the choke jobs by Vinny.

Jim Kelly was the best, and had he played on more talented teams, lord knows what we could have accomplished.

Who knows if they were choke jobs. It's still really hard to believe that Vinny could easily put up points all season against teams like South Carolina, UF, FSU and Oklahoma, but get to Arizona against a team he should have wiped the floor with, and then all of a sudden he can barely complete a pass.

Advertisement
Who knows if they were choke jobs. It's still really hard to believe that Vinny could easily put up points all season against teams like South Carolina, UF, FSU and Oklahoma, but get to Arizona against a team he should have wiped the floor with, and then all of a sudden he can barely complete a pass.

It is hard to believe. And it wasn't that could barely complete a pass. It's that he was suddenly so good at completing passes to the wrong team.

It's probably Kelly. He got the thing rolling and put the team on the map when no one was expecting it. And he didn't have the luxury of having a team full of play makers at the skill positions. Dude was making it happen by throwing to guys like Larry Brodsky and Mike Rodrigue.

Put him on ANY of the squads from '83 to '94 and '00 to '05 and UM probably wins a title in any of those years.

Still, there have been so many great QBs that it's hard to pick just one.

They did and they do,one has to remember these guys did not play with a great team. MIra got Miami into the Gotham bowl at the old Polo Grounds. He was called the matador for a reason. Had a decent pro career,had a knack for beating the great Green Bay team.
George Mira is my pick. I guess I'm an old timer. He was the QB when I started going to Cane games. Mira was fun to watch. His scrambling got him out of a lot of jams. One game, I think it was against Florida, he was being pressured from his right side. So he threw the pass left handed for a TD. I remember when he started in the NFL, he played for the 49ers. I was watching a video of Jim Marshall's wrong way advance of a fumble the other day and noticed the fumble came after a pass from Mira to Billy Kilmer. Never knew Mira was the QB that started the chain of events leading to wrong way Marshall.

Advertisement
George Mira is my pick. I guess I'm an old timer. He was the QB when I started going to Cane games. Mira was fun to watch. His scrambling got him out of a lot of jams. One game, I think it was against Florida, he was being pressured from his right side. So he threw the pass left handed for a TD. I remember when he started in the NFL, he played for the 49ers. I was watching a video of Jim Marshall's wrong way advance of a fumble the other day and noticed the fumble came after a pass from Mira to Billy Kilmer. Never knew Mira was the QB that started the chain of events leading to wrong way Marshall.

He was great to watch as he could scramble and threw the rock like it was a baseball. Miami was never very good, so the expectations of fans were so different than they are today. The orange bowl on a Friday night was special as a kid growing up. I have been following the canes for 60 years and an alumni for 50. Love my CANES!!

Hard question Jim Kelly was awesome and Vinnie T was gutsy as was Bernie who had that weird side arm throw, as far as Dorsey he's not old enough to be considered an "old timer" yet.

Advertisement
Best field generals:
Kosar, Walsh, Dorsey

Most talented:
Kelly, Testaverde

IMO, Craig Erickson and Gino Toretta are below those 5.

(Before our elder statesmen get up in arms, I wasn't around yet during the Mira era).

Advertisement
That scramble (and subsequent TD Pass) against OU in 86 (with Boz chasing him) is UM Mount Rushmore....Talk about a Rope....that one play locked up the Heisman....

Advertisement
Back