For the Old Timers: Who's the best QB you've seen at Miami?

Who knows if they were choke jobs. It's still really hard to believe that Vinny could easily put up points all season against teams like South Carolina, UF, FSU and Oklahoma, but get to Arizona against a team he should have wiped the floor with, and then all of a sudden he can barely complete a pass.

Are you saying what I think you’re saying, because I’ve always wondered it?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I've got it narrowed down to one of these guys:

66f504f00148c14b83002f85d37b5297.jpg
This is a classic photo.

Bernie was the best pre-snap QB, Vinny was the most physical, Jim Kelly was the complete package, Steve Walsh was a Griese type that did not lose games and did not have the big arm, Gino Toretta was incredibly tough as he got hammered in the Erickson offense and I was often astounded he kept getting up and playing consistent. All great but in different ways so impossible to select one being better than the other as all were mainly WINNERS! I'd say my favorite was Steve Walsh as he did not come in with the same rating of the others. Craig Erickson should be in the conversation as well, came here even though Jeff George was almost assured he would be the next great...instead George was a total bust and Craig took us to a championship.

Imma have to go Walsh. Maybe b/c I grew up watching Walsh as a baby Cane and then saw him take my putrid Bears and lead them to the NFC Divisional Playoffs after Kramer got injured. Walsh didn't have a great arm, but the dude was as cerebral as they came and through passes where only his players could catch it.

Advertisement
I've got it narrowed down to one of these guys:

66f504f00148c14b83002f85d37b5297.jpg
This is a classic photo. The forgotten man is number 13Kyle Vanderwende who picked the wrong time to come to the U. I attended my first UM game in 1948 so I definitely fit the term Old Timer. When answering the OP’s question there were a lot of good QB’s in the seventy years I’ve been a fan.Jack Hackett who led the Canes to a victory over a Purdue team who the week before shocked the football world by beating a Notre Dame breaking the longest winning streak in history up to that time. You had Fran Curci in the late fifties who earned All American mention but the only QB who merits mention in the same company with the later group beginning with Kelly is George Mira who was the most exciting player in my view in UM history. I always consider the greatest QB question by addressing the question of what made them great. We have had those who were cerebral like Kosar, Walsh, and Dorsey and those who were great athletes like Mira, Testeverde and Erickson. I put Toretta in a category of his own that being a kid who existed on raw guts. He just refused to lose. You might notice that I have saved Kelly for last and the reason is that I join the legions that have already selected him as the best qb in Miami history. He was athletic and cerebral and was the qb that put us on the map. He had good material to work with but not even close to those who came later. His best receiver was Larry Brodsky a Braxton Barrios kind of receiver but nowhere in the same league with Eddie Brown, Mike Irvin, Lamar Thomas, or Andre Johnson. Tough choice. My personal favorite was Steve Walsh but objectively you have to say Kelly.

Speaking just college, Results say Steve. The VInny had most talent but could not close the deal twice. Kelly probably the best overall but again no title - got hurt the year that Howard thought we would contend. Steve was my favorite so I’ll go with him. Then again, I left out Geno. Crap. Heisman and a NC. Change that, Geno.

Advertisement
I'll forever love Bernie Kosar

Steve Walsh was the prototypical QB. He was great for us. Too bad he was never really able to put it together in the NFL.
Kosar. Beat the best team in college football history up until that day to win the NC, as a freshman!

Bernie was a gamer. Won big games. Didn't have a rocket for an arm but always put the ball in the right place.

Advertisement
I'll throw my vote to Bernie. He had the athleticism and mobility of an iron wedge but his pocket presence, accuracy, and field generalship made up for all of his physical shortcomings. Never saw a QB do more with less.

I'll never forget him chewing out the coaching staff in the final minute of the classic Flutie game vs BC. With the Canes behind in the final minute of the game, the coaching staff wanted to get cute and throw on the goal line. During the timeout sideline meeting, Kosar angrily screamed at the staff "lets play football - run it "right the fu_ck at em". He was correct in his assessment, the Canes took the lead for the final time until Flutie pulled the rabbit out of his hat in the final seconds.

I measure all Canes QBs by that moment in Canes history.

Advertisement
Back