For the Old Timers: Who's the best QB you've seen at Miami?

rex karz

Sophomore
....and why?

Preferably, this is for the old timers who've who've been watching the Canes since the 50s-60's-70's through today.

Advertisement
Counting also their pro career? Jim Kelly, no question.

Kelly had great leadership, great arm, good accuracy. A classic pocket passer who could really sling it.

Counting just their college career? One could argue Bernie, because he got us there first. One could argue Dorsey, because of his place on the 2000, 2001, and 2002 team, losing only his first and last game.

I personally like Steve Walsh, winner, cerebral. Wasn't an athletic, but was the ultimate game manager.

Advertisement
TerragonSix has it right. I've been watching since Jim Kelly and he's the best by far. No one else is a HOF and quite frankly no one else is close. Other guys clearly racked up more wins but no one else is close. As much as I love Dorsey, you just can't compare him as a QB to guys who were excellent college and NFL qb's. Steve Walsh had a very similar record to Dorsey and actually played 10 years in the NFL. Dorsey hung around the NFL for a bit clearly wasn't good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jim Kelly did alot more with alot Less than any UM QB.....If he's our QB in 85 & 86...We win 2 NCs....His 80yd TD pass to Brodsky against #1 Penn St in 81...is arguably the most important play in UM History....The tipped 2pt against Nebraska was of course Huge...but the Win against #1 PSU was the game where America took immediate notice.....

Advertisement
I think Vinny was the most talented, you asked who was the best, truthfully I cannot say with any conviction, as their overall talents were different, bottom line amazing group of QB over the years that have come through this progra

I kind liked George Mira myself, you always had a chance and Miami was an afterthought program at that time.

Advertisement
Back