Off-Topic Florida now has Michelin Guide

Oh, I'm well aware....but that's crazy for a "12oz" NY Strip...
hyperinflation-fiat.gif

Advertisement
Any of the Broward or North Dade folks been here? https://thekatherinerestaurant.com/

The chef was at Sugarcane in Miami, briefly had his eponymous restaurant open, but then it closed at the start of the pandemic. Anyhow, his food is incredible. He is half Chinese, half Trinidadian, and trained under Allen Susser, and all of those come through in his menu. Haven't made it to this spot yet, but its on the radar next time I visit my folks.

Oh, this is going on my list... Appreciate for the head's up.

When did "Chicken and Waffles" become a dish? First time I saw it was in 2013 in Pasadena ... big sign outside of a restaurant. Is it some sort of regional dish? Never heard of it growing up in the Northeast. Sounds like a very odd pairing.
It's ridiculously good....The craze started at Roscoe's in Los Angeles around 25yrs ago. Then spread everywhere, especially in the South. @Rellyrell knows all about Roscoes's.

It's ridiculously good....The craze started at Roscoe's in Los Angeles around 25yrs ago. Then spread everywhere, especially in the South. @Rellyrell knows all about Roscoes's.

Actually, my brotha, The Chicken & Waffles concept originated in Harlem, NY during the renaissance, blues era. Night Clubs would let out late & the patrons were stuck between breakfast & dinner.

Herb, the founder of Roscoes, brought that Harlem tradition when he moved to L.A in the 70’s, & to ur point, he popularized it Nationwide.

For a time, I went 3 yrs str8 w/o paying for a single meal in Roscoes b/c I was messing w/ one of the servers there & I was hella treated like family even after we stopped messing w/ each other like that b/c we remained friends. But I can say, over the yrs, Roscoes have lost that fire. Outta towners will still fawn over it like it’s the best thing on earth, but us locals who’s have been messing w them since kids know as they’ve grown, they’ve short cut on the recipes on several items.

They kinda went from mom & pops soul to commercial soul.

Advertisement
Actually, my brotha, The Chicken & Waffles concept originated in Harlem, NY during the renaissance, blues era. Night Clubs would let out late & the patrons were stuck between breakfast & dinner.

Herb, the founder of Roscoes, brought that Harlem tradition when he moved to L.A in the 70’s, & to ur point, he popularized it Nationwide.

For a time, I went 3 yrs str8 w/o paying for a single meal in Roscoes b/c I was messing w/ one of the servers there & I was hella treated like family even after we stopped messing w/ each other like that b/c we remained friends. But I can say, over the yrs, Roscoes have lost that fire. Outta towners will still fawn over it like it’s the best thing on earth, but us locals who’s have been messing w them since kids know as they’ve grown, they’ve short cut on the recipes on several items.

@Rellyrell ....aren't they the ones with Strawberry Butter??

@Rellyrell ....aren't they the ones with Strawberry Butter??

I’ve never seen them w/ strawberry butter, & if they do, it must be new. Truth told, I haven’t been to Roscoe’s in 10 yrs. Had a bad experience there at The Pasadena location & I was turned all the way off. My aunt hasn’t either & she knew about Roscoe’s b4 any of us.

Appears to be some debate as to the origin of the "dish". Did see one claim that it originated in a Harlem restaurant during the Jazz age in the 30's, then another rebuttal of that claim stating that it was a variety of a common way of serving fried chicken in the south long before the Harlem club even existed.

Roscoes is the first place I came across the combo. Ran the LA office for a company I worked for in 2013 ... rented a home in Pasadena up on the hill and drove by Roscoes daily. Never stopped in but it was always busy.

Advertisement
@SpikeUM, to illustrate, I do not know what any of the bold means. I can look it up, but I do not actually know as I type this.

I don't walk in Michelin Guide circles at all.

Prix fixe means a fixed price menu. So if you pay $60 for an appetizer, main course, and dessert, you might have a few choices on each, but no matter what you do, it will still cost you $60.

Very common, very popular.

Prix fixe means a fixed price menu. So if you pay $60 for an appetizer, main course, and dessert, you might have a few choices on each, but no matter what you do, it will still cost you $60.

Very common, very popular.

His French is just poor, he will understand "precio fijo"! :p

Advertisement
Definitely should not have googled that on my work computer lol.

On a totally unrelated note, I have always wanted to franchise Chicken Kitchen out of South Florida but have heard their corporate management is an absolute disaster.

Yep.

Advertisement

I learned about Roscoe's in 1988, from the great cult-classic movie Tapeheads, starring John Cusack and Tim Robbins.

Advertisement
Back